1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Sign Carlos Lee (6 years, 100 Million)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Looked like Lee was worried the jersey wasn't going to fit :eek:

Ok, I'm tired of waiting around for Pettitte and Clemens, I think the Astros should go after Randy Wolf. Oswalt, Wolf, Williams, Hirsh, fill in.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I just feel like the Astros are throwing money around like crazy compared to Drayton's historicly conservative offseasons. I don't think Clemens will be back... Let me revise that. He won't be back at the payscale he was at last year.

EDIT- Just to expand on that- I can see us resigning Huff and Pettite. We get more offense to make up for the 1/2 season of lost Clemens pitching.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Sorry, I was referring to another member who was accusing the Astros of totally lowballing Lee when the first offer, before the Soriano signing, was at about 12 million per year.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Do you think Clemens won't be back at the same pay because Drayton will tighten his wallet or because he (Clemens) won't take a hometown discount. If it's the former, I think it's been said time and again that they pretty much make their budget w/o Clemens in mind. If it's the latter, well Clemens hasn't taken a discount since his first year. And true this past season he only made 12 million but it was prorated (based on 20). If Clemens and Pettite want to come back to the team, they will be on the team, period. As for Huff, I think signing Lee makes him a little more expendable. I don't see the Astros going after him if he's demanding a lot; they'll just sit back and go with Ensberg hoping he could rebound.

5. toby

toby Member

Looks like it is put up or shut up time for drayton . . .

gut says that roger will be back mid season, andy will sign a one year deal, and we might even make a trade or two. We will be tops in payroll for another year, cause drayton will give roger whatever he wants.

roy
    andy
    woody
    hirsch
    roger/filler/trade

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Glad to see this happen! Good job by the Astros.

7. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Congrats to Timmy P, this had to be done. Now all he needs to do is resign Pettitte and Huff and get Clemens to commit to a half season. I guess the lineup and rotation will look like.

1. Taveras - CF
    2. Burke/Biggio - 2B
    3. Berkman - 1B
    4. Lee - LF
    5. Scott - RF
    6. Huff - 3B
    7. Everett - SS
    8. Ausmus - C

1. Oswalt
    2. Pettitte
    3. Clemens
    4. Williams
    5. Hirsh

8. MadMax

MadMax Member

anyone else think that the money thrown around today means it's more likely ensberg will be playing third than huff???

9. Pocket Rockets

according to his every other year mvp type performance, i think he is due for a another good year, although i want to keep and start huff

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

I think it definitely makes signing Huff a lot less likely and important. If we can get him at a reasonable rate, I'd definitley go for it. Based on signings thus far this offseason, I doubt that he is going to go for what he is actually worth as other teams will get desperate to make some move.

If we can get Andy back next year, I think we are going to be in good shape. Its just going to be real nice to have a strong right handed bat to throw out there against leftys.

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

You guys sure have short memories. Before Scott and Huff came on the scene, this team had absolutely insane splits. Resigning Huff is very much the #2 priority, I don't want to see this team be righty loaded again.

12. macalu

macalu Member

lol, a lot of folks complain that McClain doesn't spend money. then when he acquires someone the caliber of Carlos Lee, they complain that it was too much.

13. jiggadi

jiggadi Member

hell yes! Nice little thanksgiving present for Berkman! Now i'm not sure where we go on Huff because Mike Lamb. He did pretty well at third this year. there is your platoon at third lamb and ensberg.

Tavers
    Lamb
    Berkman
    Lee
    Scott
    Biggio
    Everette
    Ausmus
    Pitcher

14. The Real Shady

Uncle Drayton can't win, and Timmy P will always be fat.

15. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Member

Carlos Lee, career: .286/.340/.495
    Astros LF, 2006: .281/.345/.454
    Astros RF, 2006: .264/.371/.495
    Average NL LF, 2006: .276/.357/.470

We just paid 16 1/2 mil a year for an over 30 yr old average hitting corner outfielder. He'll improve the team next year but not as much as most of you think.

16. torque

torque Member
    Supporting Member

Carols Lee 2006
    .300/.355/.540

Yes, he will improve the team a lot.

17. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Member

And it was a career year in the walk year of a contract...image that. He's only slugged over 500 twice in career. He's on the wrong side of 30 with body type and skill set that traditionally doesn't age well. and he's horrible defensively and stuck in the outfield now that berkman is set at 1b. If he keeps his improvement from last year he'll help, but, imo the money could have used much more efficiently elsewhere.

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

So with Lee playing left, Scott will get the chance in RF correct? He's definitely earned it and we need his bat.

I am really starting to get excited about this lineup.

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

and not so excited about our defense. But hey, we had to sign him so I won't complain.

20. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

Yeah I'm not saying it is so much that we don't need Huff, as much as we probably won't be able to afford him after this Lee deal (assuming he is able to get an inflated price like everyone else). While he would be real nice to have, I don't think it would make or break the season either.