1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign 9 including Rosario and Bland

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jan 7, 2004.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Astros invite nine to camp
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Rodrigo Rosario was 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA in two starts with the Astros last season. (Houston Astros)

HOUSTON -- Several familiar faces will report as non-roster invitees to Osceola County Stadium in Kissimmee, Fla., the Houston Astros' home away from home during Spring Training.
    The Astros announced on Wednesday the signing of nine players to minor league contracts, all of whom played in the organization in 2003. The list includes infielders Jason Alfaro and Mike Coolbaugh; catchers Dax Norris and Chris Tremie; right-handed pitchers Kirk Bullinger, Jared Fernandez, Miguel Saladin and Rodrigo Rosario and left-handed pitcher Nate Bland.

Bland, Bullinger, Fernandez and Rosario each spent time at the Major League level last year. Fernandez, 31, was with the Astros the longest, making 12 appearances (six starts) over the final two months of the season. The knuckleballer was 3-3 with a 3.99 ERA and recorded a decision in each of his starts. He was moved to the bullpen in early September when Roy Oswalt was activated from the disabled list.

Bland, 29, made 22 relief appearances for Houston last year during his seven weeks with the Astros. The left-hander was 1-2 with a 5.75 ERA and earned his first Major League win the day after his debut. Bland pitched 4 1/3 scoreless innings over his first five appearances. The Astros, needing an extra roster space in case they signed any free agents, did not tender Bland a contract by the Dec. 20 deadline.

Bullinger, 34, was a September callup in '03 and posted a 6.75 ERA over seven appearances. He spent most of the time at Triple-A New Orleans, finishing 3-3 with a 1.94 ERA while leading the Zephyrs with 20 saves.

Rosario, 26, made two starts after replacing an injured Oswalt in the rotation but his season was cut short when he had surgery on his right shoulder. He was 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA over the starts, allowing one run over eight innings.

Both Alfaro and Saladin spent most of 2003 at the Triple-A level. Alfaro, 26, batted .296 with nine home runs and 49 RBIs for the Zephyrs. Saladin, 28, was at Major League Spring Training with the Astros last season and went 5-6 with a 2.99 ERA in 55 relief appearances at New Orleans.

Coolbaugh, 31, joined the Astros system in July and played in 42 games with Double-A Round Rock. He batted .259 for the Express with seven home runs and 29 RBIs. He has played at the Major League level for both the Milwaukee Brewers (2001) and St. Louis Cardinals (2002).

Norris, 30, played his first year in the Astros system last year and batted .245 with six homers and 45 RBI at Round Rock. He also played in nine games for New Orleans (.158, 3-for-19). Tremie, 34 and also a non-roster invitee last season, appeared in 93 games behind the plate for the Express. He batted .243 with nine homers and 35 RBI.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good call by Stevierebel!!!!

3. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Dax Norris, huh. I guess he is looking for work after the first season of "Punk'd".

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Didn't explain my comment....when Rosario was released, I believe it was Stevierebel (or something like that) that posted he would probably be signed to a minor league deal after the Rule V draft passed.

5. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Thank you guys. :)

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Is he still hurt. I really like this guys stuff. I don't know if he is going to be durable but he is nasty. I am happy that he is back. I am still pissed about Santana.