1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Astros] Roger Clemens Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by emjohn, Oct 10, 2005.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

on your list..i'd have him behind Jackie Robinson and Ted Williams.

but i'd have him ahead of Sandy Koufax

2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

You're obviously not Jewish. :)

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

#23 Blatz, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no..but my favorite person ever is. does that count? ;)

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Best pitcher of all time......period.

Can't compare him to basketball players....thats a sport where 1 guy can carry an entire team....or to a boxer where there is no team.

He is just simply the best pitcher of all time.

6. msn

msn Member

Mine, too.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Rod Carew? ;)

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

What an honor to witness anything Roger Clemons does on a baseball field. One of the great baseball pitchers of all time and a class person. One of the few pitchers in the same league as Nolan Ryan. And the Astros had them both.

9. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Anyone have a video clip of that?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw that as well. Total class. I hope we see a bronze statue of Roger, someday in the future, at the Juice. He's already earned it.

What a game!!

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't think you can put Clemens behind anybody on that list for the same reason you can't put him ahead of them. You can't really rank the all-time greats...it's too debatable and indefinite.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I have to admit, I wasn't a big Roger Clemens fan in the beginning (in his Red Sox, Blue Jay, Yankee days). I recognized the talent and greatness, but something about him rubbed me the wrong way. I thought he was a smug opportunist who looked for himself more then the team yet played the PR game enough to not get criticized on that. I do remember the time when we were trying to get him while he was a Blue Jay and him and Gerry Hunsicker got in a war of words through the media about Clemens' contract extension demands. Hunsicker publicly said that the extension demands were ridiculous or something to that effect and Clemens blasted back through his agents that he will never deal with that current Astros management or something to that effect (time heals all wounds I guess).

I now concede that I was wrong and that the guy is the ultimate gamer. My hat's off to him.

PS. Just wonder what uniform he'll wear when he goes to Cooperstown (I think I remember him saying probably the Yankee pinstripes).

13. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Clever. Think of that yourself, did you?

Roger is pretty awesome.

14. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

To put that all in perspective:

Clemens was a unanimous selection for his second straight Cy Young Award. He was named first on all 28 ballots after going 20-6 with a 2.65 earned run average and 271 strikeouts. The ERA, win and strikeout totals led the league as he joined Sandy Koufax, Lefty Grove and Grover Alexander as the only hurlers to win the pitching "Triple Crown'' in back-to-back years. Clemens was unbeaten in his last 22 starts and was the biggest reason that the Blue Jays made a late-season run at a wild card berth. He earned his sixth ERA title -- second-most in history to Grove's nine -- and went over the 3,000 mark in career strikeouts.

The Astros complained at the time that he wanted more than Kevin Brown, who was three years younger. Looking back that was kinda funny considering Brown since vs Clemens since.

16. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

He showed total class after the game and that reporter pulled his shirt to come over for an interview, he pulled Burke with him. Then he said a couple of sentences and told her to talk to the kid, class.

It reminded me of Hakeem when the won the first title, he sat on the scorer's table and watched everyone celebrate.

17. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I just saw the Clemens/Burke moment at the end of the game. Clemens totally pulled a fast one on Erin Andrews. Hah.

18. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Forget Clemens, Where The F*** is Hakeem?

JK about Clemens (he definitely should be on the list), but seriously...where's Hakeem? :confused: