1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros] Roger Clemens Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by emjohn, Oct 10, 2005.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Giving it up to Clemens - loses game 2, looks really shaky in the loss, the comes in and guts it out to be our Game 4 winning pitcher. Dominated in those 3 innings. Forget first-ballot HOF, this guy goes into the sacred room of legends.

Evan

2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

definitely gotta give credit where credit is certainly due :D

was worried with clemens the way he pitched in game 2

but what a damn fine job by clemens in relief

hats off :)

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What can you say? The man is a legend. A living legend.

4. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

That must have been one for the ages, especially for Clemens. I heard in the postgame interviews that he actually pulled his son to the bullpen to help him warm up. How special is THAT for Roger and Kyle(I think that's the one he pulled down to catch). I thought that was one of the stories that the major sports sites and newspapers didn't recognize. That extra special dramatic clip to what I consider as the best game in Playoff history that didn't happen in the World Series. Having Roger, at 43 years old, spending that extra time with his son before he jogs out from the bullpen for only the second time in his career. For Roger to come back on 2 days rest (I think ESPN says 3, but it's 2, isn't it?) I have to imagine that if his son will become anything successful in the major leagues, this will be one of the moments that he'll never forget!

Thank you, Roger Clemens. That game literally brought tears to my eyes.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Iced Out Eskimos would be proud.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We won the series 3-1...Andy, Roy and Roger all won......not a coincidence if you ask me.

DD

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I don't know if you guys in Houston were getting the national broadcast, but a great Roger moment happened AFTER the game:

Immediately after Burke's homer, the network's interviewer (blonde, tight green sweater :) ) was seen trying to get Roger for a quick interview. Roger agreed, but grabbed Burke by the jersey and dragged him over to be part of it. The interviewer asked Roger a question, and he answered very quickly, then turned and walked away -- leaving Burke as the sole focus of the interview. Burke ended up answering several questions on national TV.

Roger knew that Burke may NEVER have another moment in the spotlight as big as this one and graciously manipulated the situation to ensure that Burke got most of the attention.

Now THAT is class. I'm a UT alum and have followed Roger since his college days, but I've never been more proud of him than I was after this game.

8. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

I saw that. He's definitely a class act.

9. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

Interesting thing: Roger was quoted after the game saying that games like this stoked "the fire in your belly". If I were on another team, I would be very worried about facing a fired-up Roger Clemens for the rest of these playoffs. The man is a legend, plain and simple. I thought so before he came to Houston, and now I'm CERTAIN of it.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I thought about that. Roger's been in a bazillion playoffs and may not have that fire automatically there every time. But a dominant relief appearance in a critical game is the kind of thing that could shake him out of any complacency he may have had. I expect Roger to be at his best from here on out.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

If Roger Clemens ever starts a cult I'm following him all the way to the kool-aid stand!! :D

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

where is the Brad Ausmus appreciation thread?

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The only thing that would have topped his relief would have been him hitting a game-winning HR...

The man is friggin incredible.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Good question. And don't forget we came *this* close to needing a Luke Scott appreciation thread.

What if Scott's ball had been fair -- a walkoff division-title-winning homer. That might have gone a long way toward solving that lack-of-confidence problem.

15. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Yeah, I saw that. Completely a classy move. They grabbed Roger and asked him something (I forget) then as soon as he answered, he pointed at Burke and said "How bout that kid" and directed all the attention to Burke. Man, that was awesome.

16. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

haha How do you know about IOE? I went to the same high school as them.

Roger Clemens is the man. I could give a s*** about the Asstros, but I like seeing Rocket suceed.

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Don't forget Dan Wheeler guys... bases loaded with 1 out and he gets us out of it. By far the gutsiest pitching performance of the day. The looked like he was going to vomit when he got the K for the second out, and I was right there with him.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Well I think we can find a Brad Ausmus over- or under- appreciation thread somewhere in the not too distant past.

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Where would you rank Rocket on this list?

Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    Muhammad Ali
    Jim Brown
    Wayne Gretzky
    Willie Mays
    Carl Lewis
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Hank Aaron
    Jackie Robinson
    Ted Williams
    Magic Johnson
    Bill Russell
    Joe DiMaggio
    Joe Montana
    Larry Bird
    Lou Gehrig
    Mickey Mantle
    Sandy Koufax
    Julius Erving
    Nolan Ryan

20. msn

msn Member

Behind:
    Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    Muhammad Ali
    Wayne Gretzky
    Willie Mays
    Magic Johnson
    Bill Russell
    Joe DiMaggio
    Joe Montana
    Larry Bird
    Lou Gehrig
    Mickey Mantle
    Sandy Koufax

Ahead of:
    Julius Erving
    Nolan Ryan
    Jim Brown
    Carl Lewis
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Hank Aaron
    Jackie Robinson
    Ted Williams

...but I'm admittedly guessing on some of these. Additionally, I'm thinking only in terms of postseason or "big events".