1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros relocating signs above LF

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Baseballa, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Brian McTaggart ‏@brianmctaggart 56s
    Astros are relocating signs above left field. Details to come

Reid Ryan, you magnificent b*stard.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Are you serious? The EYESORE signs? Are you serious?

That would be the BIGGEST accomplishment of this regime yet... even though it's sort of self-fulfilling, since it was this regime that placed the signs there to begin with.

Guess it goes hand-in-hand with wanting to open the roof more... might as well have unobstructed views if they do.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

as I said in the other thread...

I'm now a Jim Crane fan for life!!! (seriously, I'm glad he did this. Leaving those signs there would truly be the mark of somebody who is completely out of touch with the fans)

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

WOOHOO!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah... just a shame his pattern is that he's out of touch with the fans, makes a mistake, and then backtracks to fix it (and looks good doing it).

Similar to the CSN debacle (except it hasn't been fixed yet).

6. bigtexxx

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

Man, we really do have a nice-looking little ballpark.

I'm pumped for opening day.

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Best news of the day!

Now about Masahiro tanaka ;)

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The new location of the signs, which will align them across the left field and left-centerfield facade, just below the railroad tracks</p>&mdash; Daniel Gotera (@DTGoteraKHOU) <a href="https://twitter.com/DTGoteraKHOU/statuses/423223727262662656">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The championship banners will be placed on the left field light towers, and the ‘DK’ sign will be placed in a prominent location TBD <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Daniel Gotera (@DTGoteraKHOU) <a href="https://twitter.com/DTGoteraKHOU/statuses/423224599770189824">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/2014/01/14/astros-to-relocate-signs-in-left-field-2/

Astros president of business operations Reid Ryan said Tuesday the club plans to relocate the large signs above left field at Minute Maid Park that were put in place as part of its Community Leaders program to a spot that won’t block views of the train, skyline or fireworks.

Ryan said the signs would be lowered to a spot below the railroad tracks and above the left wall and left-center field walls. The signs will be moved by Opening Day.

We’ve listened to the fans,” he said. “This is a great program and it’s unlike any program that’s ever been launched in professional sports that we know of, and what we wanted to do is respect everybody. These corporate partners we have are doing some unbelievable things in the city.

“Fans appreciate the program, but what they want is to be able to see the train, see the fireworks, be able to see the skyline at night. Where the signs are located, it sort of took away from what are some of the best attributes of the stadium and the things that people have come to love over the years.”

Astros owner Jim Crane personally developed plan, which offered corporations the opportunity to partner with the Astros and the Astros In Action Foundation to become part of a team to improve baseball and softball fields in inner-city neighborhoods.

Through its corporate partnerships, the Community Leaders program will ultimately contribute $18 million to the city of Houston over a five-year period for youth baseball and softball programs at zero cost to the city’s taxpayers. The program will provides money for equipment, uniforms and more. The businesses that took part were recognized with their logo on large signs that went up at the ballpark in 2012.

Community Leaders is a five-year program, which matches the corporation’s employees along with wounded veterans as volunteers in the build, refurbishment, and guest services that go along with the plan. Employees volunteer as coaches or mentors at the park, some of which will also be providing wellness and education programs for their patrons.

Ryan said the businesses who are part of the program agreed to the move, along with the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority.

“It will be much higher visibility for them on a nightly basis,” Ryan said. “It sort of helps us wins with the fans that appreciate attributes of the stadiums they had in the past. It helps win with the program.”

The team will also build a Community Leaders interactive education zone in Home Run Alley on the concourse so fans can see the results of the field renovations with a map of where the fields are located, as well as providing information on future renovations and the corporate partners.

“What we’ve done is come up with a win-win for everybody that lets us take this program to the next level,” Ryan said. “It’s kind of like Community Leaders 2.0 in the fact that it’s off to a great start and these tweaks we’re making to the program are going to make it that much better, and moving the signs are part of the overall, ‘How do we make this better for everybody?’”

#9 J.R., Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

12. bigtexxx

They couldn't be relocated to the Astrodome?

13. msn

msn Member

I mean I hear what you're saying, but what about the program itself? Have you read up on it? Is that a mistake, or just a money-grab? (please don't interpret this as blind Crane-defending; I know the man has some ugly warts. just looking for a balanced take on the thing)

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

The timing of this seems too coincidental. I think the billboards moving may also have something to do about the neighbors across the street. Construction on 500 Crawford just recently started and the ballpark view will no doubt be a selling point for some of the units on the far NE corner (closest to left field)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

500 Crawford

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Encouraging news, but I'll wait until I see the placement of everything before getting too excited.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Overall though, don't you think the partnerships are a good thing for the youth baseball/softball leagues in Houston? Also, isn't it a good thing that he IS backtracking from a mistake based on fan comments?

Crane screwed up while doing a good thing and now he is fixing the part he screwed up.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Wow ...you can't deny the organization has done a pretty good job of listening to the fans.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Those signs were hideous.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure...but ultimately, it's a form of mutual advertising, and Crane had no cares about the paying fans interest when he put it up (gave us the same attitude of the "write me a check" comment).

I commend the organization for clearing up a pretty idiotic decision.