1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros re-acquire Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 1, 2023.

?

Do you like the trade?

This poll will close on Aug 1, 2025 at 2:05 PM.
  1. YES

84.8%
  2. NO

15.2%
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

how good is drew gilbert?

are we going to bump this thread in a couple years?

2. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Genius move, much smarter than the Hal Yankees or even the modern Dodgers.

Sign the top FA, then trade them after a few months and pay their salary to get other team's top prospects.

We laugh at the Mets now, but don't say you weren't warned when they become the team of the 2020s and 2030s.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I bet one of the reasons Maldy is thrilled is because he views Verlander as a life line for his career. I don't think the team keeps him around as a player if JV didn't come back. Now he has a chance. Hopefully it's as a backup.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

22 year old who was tearing his way thought the minors before playing with an injury that slowed him down quite a bit. A 50/55 prospect with an ETA of next year.

With Gordon, Chas, Meyers, and Tucker still here for a couple of years I understand him being more expendable, but Clifford is the real blow. A dude who turned 20 a few weeks ago with an OPS north of 800 in high A, a guy I was hoping would fix the 1B problem when Abreu retires.

In short, the two most hyped (though not nessecarily the best) position player prospects in the Astros' system since Tucker and Alvarez, mostly thanks to the lack of picks for two years.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

**Insert “We are laughing” Gif**

Especially when this move buys us another ring…. while the Mets are STILL hopeful to be the next best around 2030.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Probably mentioned, but odds of him going into the hall in a Stros uni just rose exponentially

Marshall Bryant and xcrunner51 like this.
  7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Even if JV is on the decline, it's plain to see how much everyone in the clubhouse loves him and appreciates his leadership. He might be the x-factor that rejuvenates the team and gets us to another WS.

Houstunna, Tfor3, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  8. Mashing

Mashing Member

Yeah, I thought about that. It's probably about a 90% probability he goes in the Hall as an Astro now.

cardpire likes this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Laureano & Teoscar were basically traded for nothing. Sandoval would have the most value to us today. But the main reason we'd have been better off keeping them isn't because of what they represent on todays roster, but rather that they were traded for well below their future values if we had just held on them for a little longer.

houstonstime and RKREBORN like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

I don't think teams really regret going for it if they have a real WS opportunity. Look back at 1998. The Randy Johnson trade didn't work out. The players we gave up went on to having some good careers. I don't think anyone regrets the Astros going for it though.

Barring more injuries, the 2023 Astros will go into the playoffs as one of the 2 or 3 favorites for the World Series. Even if they lose in the first round, it's hard to argue against going for it by fixing their single biggest weakness and getting an ace pitchers for 2+ years at minimal salary.

BigMaloe, whag00 and DreamShook like this.
  11. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I'm not saying the trade doesn't help our rotation held together by silly string and painter's tape, or that it won't help us win again. What I am saying is that the NL will have a 2nd Dodgers with an even higher budget, and lets be honest, if the Dodgers weren't managed by a total clown in Dave Roberts, they have at least 2+ trophies in the last decade instead of one micky mouse ring.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Sorry if alrdy discussed, so with Urquidy and Verlander coming back do you do 6 man rotation or do you remove from the rotation Brown or France?

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Oh sweet Jesus, I didn’t even factor in the bump in playing time for Maldy.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

For the sake of Javier and Brown's higher career IPs, I think you go to a 6 man rotation. France has earned the starts and isn't really worse than anyone else, and it helps keep everyone fresh going into October.

Nook likes this.
  15. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Bielak goes back to long relief.

Verlander, Valdez, Javier, Brown, France, Urquidy

16. Qan

Qan Member

With Urquidy back soon. Get ready for a 6 man rotation with Maldy catching 4 out of the 6 starters. You'll be seeing a lot more of him from now on. Dusty is very please.

17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

inb4 Verlander returns to 2017 form only to make the team worse by way of more Maldy starts.

18. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Does this mean Verlander is going to win his 300th game as an Astro...

FLASH21 likes this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Believe me, I realize what we’re getting at this stage of JV’s career and I’m almost 100% sure the Stros do too.

I don’t feel like we have the most formidable pitching staff in the league but when it comes to playoff ball and stringing out innings, I can definitely see our guys having a punchers chance against any other AL squad.

Agreed, they should have hauled out Roberts years ago, amazing that he’s only a few years away from manning that team for almost a decade… with only the one ring to show for.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

appreciate y'all. you know I'm a casual.