1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BrooksBall, May 19, 2010.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His ERA isn't bad, but his strikeouts are way down as a starter(about 4k/9 compared to 9k/9). His WHIP is awful(1.57). Which brings me to the big problem, he has 21 walks in 40.2 innings. He has more BBs than Ks(20). Thats very bad.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

good thread.

seems lyles is far and away our #1 prospect at this point, and probably our best in a long long time.

ripping through the minors and only 19 years old. hopefully he keeps it up.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It would be nice to really be excited about a young prospect for once. Many are semi excited about Castro, but he's already 23 and catchers aren't all that exciting...unless they're named Joe Mauer.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I didn't look that in depth at his stats. I just knew he was keeping the ball in the park and runs to a minimum. He's still learning to be a starter which probably explains the low k/9. He's being a little too careful instead of just letting it go as he could while being a reliever. If he finds the middle ground, he could be a legit 4 or 5.

5. juicystream

JD Martinez 3-4 today. The guy continues to rake in A ball.

Mier 1-6
    Castro 1-4
    Chris Johnson 4-4 with a HR

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Gaston finally hit his 1st HR of the season in his 36th game after hitting 35 last season. I bet he misses the Cal League.

7. BrooksBall

Speaking of the hitter-friendly Cal League, Austin has really come down to earth over the past few weeks. After putting up big numbers early, he had a .337 OPS in May coming into what has so far been an 0-for-3 night.

His OPS on the season is somewhere around .775 now which translates to .700 or below in most other leagues.

8. BrooksBall

And 3 SOs.

While the guy hitting leadoff in front of him, little Jose Altuve (5'5) went 1-for-2 with 4 walks. I've read a lot of good things about Altuve over the last 2 years. His only problem is that he looks like he could be working at the Wonka factory. Otherwise, he appears to be a pretty solid all-around player.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Tanner Bushue the Astros 2nd round draft pick is looking good so far.

2.45 ERA
    44 IP
    43 SO

and only 18 years old.

10. right1

right1 Member

O.k. I submit. Astros have to trade Roy Oswalt NOW for prospects. We have some good pitching prospects, but there are absolutely NO position players in the farm system who look to be future stars or above average major league hitters. Castro? Mier? Sapp? Where is that guy? Our drafts have been horrible. Right now the best hitting prospect Astros have is Koby Clemens. Who would have figured that?

11. right1

right1 Member

And why is J.D. Martinez in Lexington as a 22 yr. old if he's hitting at a .357 clip? Move these guys up already. See if he can hit AA pitching in Corpus or even RR.

12. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Lyles makes this guy overlooked at times. They could be a deadly 1 and 2 at best.

13. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Yeah thats a good question. His defense is very suspect and we have three good outfielders who moved up to AA this year. Gaston, Shuck and Steele.

14. juicystream

We released Max Sapp earlier this year. I'd argue JD Martinez is our best hitting prospect.

15. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Sapp was released about two weeks ago. He almost died from a severe case of viral meningitis. 1.4 million down the drain. Poor kid. Drayton is steaming because he's a cheap skate. Our best hitting prospect in my opinion is Jonathan Gaston, but hes off to a terrible start to this year. Koby Clemens needs a big year to make himself prospect worthy. Hes getting up there in age.

16. juicystream

They have no reason to rush him up through the system. I certainly want to see him at CC, but with Lee/Bourn/Pence unlikely to go anywhere they have no reason to not let him dominate one league at a time.

17. juicystream

You can see by the fact that I ranked him as my 4th best prospect, that I really like the guy. He has supplanted Seaton as the number 2 pitching prospect in the organization. I'm looking forward to the Astros young rotation in 2012 and later.

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

... if Ed Wade doesn't trade him and Castro for Randy Wolf.

19. BrooksBall