1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

One thing for sure...if Clemens signs with Texas, then I'm mad. :mad:

If Clemens signs with Texas and wins a World Series, then I'm becoming a Samurai and hunting his ass down. Then, I will burn him and bury him in Minute Maid Park. That is all. :p

2. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I hope you would hunt Drayton and Poopura, and not Clemens. Not offering Clemens arbitration was a needless slap in the face.

If Clemens goes somewhere else blame our clueless management.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

No it's not. If it was a slap in the face then Clemens would have already said that he would not be coming back to the Astros.

5. Aceshigh7

Clemens is being alot more gracious about this situation than should be expected.

Clemens contributed so much to the last two magical seasons. He is the greatest pitcher in the game. If the guy needs time to make up his mind you give him all the time he needs. He has earned the right to that. You don't try to pressure the guy or play hardball by not offering him arbitration.

The correct thing to do would be to offer arbitration and then if he decides to play next year, come to an agreement on a deal prior to the arbitration hearing, just like last year.

But of course the Astros tried to play it cheap this offseason. If Clemens were to come back and stick it to the Astros I wouldn't blame him one bit.

6. msn

msn Member

...you mean 8 January? Because *that's* the deadline, were Clemens to deny arbitatration. Dude was on record several times saying he wouldn't decide until late January/early February. He wasn't going to accept arbitatration.

What's so "evil" about the Astros not pursuing a negotiation he flat out *told* them they wouldn't win in the first place? Really, your argument here makes no sense based on Clemens' publicly stated timeline and the timing of the deadline.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's evil because the Astros just signed a good hitter and he needed something else to whine about.

8. Aceshigh7

Your post is ridiculous. You say Clemens wouldn't accept arbitration? Then what harm would offering it to him have done? The only thing it would have done is to keep our options open with him and allow us to negotiate with him should he decide to come back. Instead the Astros are trying to get by on the cheap and take the chance Clemens will come back to them much later and accept a lower salary.

So many people blindly supporting the Astros' botching of this yet none of you can offer up any sensible argument on this point.

I'm really looking forward to your expert response to this.

9. msn

msn Member

If you're looking for an "expert response" from me, you will be sadly disappointed. I am just as unknowledgeable as you are when compared to the likes of Hunsicker, Purpura, Garner, etc.

That said, I am glad the Astros did not offer Roger Clemens arbitration because it *opened* their options, rather than limit them. If you believe that offering arbitration to a free agent who has not indicated any inclination to return "keeps your options open", then let me refer you to the infamous 8 Jan waiting period for Carlos Beltran. If the Astros are waiting on Clemens yesterday, there in no Preston Wilson signing. There are also no reports of their making offers or being involved in any of the other pursuits with which you've heard their name connected.

You attacked my position with the words "blindly following" and "ridiculous" (but thanks for attacking the position and not the person), but you did not address the point: Roger plainly stated that he would not decide until late January/early February. What do you do when he turns down arbitration and you only have until 8 Jan? Or better yet, if Rocket accepts arbitration, how do you plan your budget? Do you sit on $20Million, doing nothing, hoping Rocket signs in February? What if he doesn't, based on the fact that the Astros sat on their hands?

Would you seriously have preferred that?

Seriously, if you fancy yourself an expert on this, I want you to spell out how you would have handled this offseason were you in the unenviable position of filling Purpura's double-breasted sports coat. And, as you do so, remember that your owner has a realistic budget set and you can't go crazy with money.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously, Ace..stop pretending you know how Clemens is feeling.what conversations are being had. you don't. i don't, either. you're reading into behind the scenes events that you have no clue about.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

From Insider this morning...

Jan 5 - Talks between the Red Sox and Orioles about a Manny Ramirez-Miguel Tejada trade have stalled, the Boston Herald reports. The Red Sox have offered Ramirez and pitcher Matt Clement, but the Orioles want third base prospect Andy Marte in the deal. At least two teams, the Herald reports, have offered the Orioles a more attractive package.
    Ramirez's desire to have two option years picked up at $20M each is another potential deal breaker.

I wonder if we are one of the 2 teams.

12. NJRocket

If you offer arby, and they accept, you guarantee that player at least the same salary less 15% for the year. 19 million is a lot to pay a guy who may not ever pitch this year dontcha think?

13. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

From The mouth of Gammons "It's coming down between the cubs and astros"

The cubs might just give up prior and some P(s)TBNL.

14. NJRocket

Did he say what we are offering?

15. msn

msn Member

I have the same butterflies in my stomach that I had in May of 2004. *crossing fingers*

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How much is too much? AE + Lidge + Lane ok, or too much?
    How much is too much? AE + Lidge + Backe ok, or too much?
    How much is too much? Backe + Lidge + Lane ok, or too much?

Or is there a completely different kind of package on offer?

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I would have a hard time giving up Backe, even though we'd probably only have to tread water without him for a month and a half or so since Clemens would almost assuredly return after May 1.

I'd do Lidge/Everett/Taveras/top prospect, but would rather give up Lane.

18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Can someone please alleviate my fears regarding the sharp decline in Tejada's stats last year and specifically post All-Star break. I don't want to trade Lidge for Giambi.

With that out of the way, a Berkman, Tejada, Ensberg middle of the order would be the best in baseball if Rolen and Edmonds really are on the decline, right?

19. NJRocket

I'd give them their pick of Qualls/Lidge...AE....and their pick of WT and Lane.

20. msn

msn Member

I'd consider (again I'm an idiot for doing this):

* their pick of Qualls/Wheeler
    * AE
    * Lane
    * their pick of top flight P prospect excluding Hirsch and Nieve

Hey--you have to give up something to get something, and I don't believe Tejada's slump last August was from lack of 'roids. Giambi and others tailed to START 2004, not to FINISH 2005. Giambi, as a matter of fact and IIRC, had a renaissance of sorts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.