1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk about the hot stove Astros here.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So, if the offseason is pretty inactive and fan interest starts to wane, which Astro will come out of the closet?

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

We need a vocal leader on the bench- someone who has that fire in his belly and can rally the team when things get tight at the end of the games... We have that, and we win it all. That and our pitching back.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am very impressed with Backe, a clutch performance last night. He was spectacular. The organization owes it to the fans to go out and get some offense. Is there a young hitter in the Astro system that can be brought up and developed? This team desperately needs at least two more consistent hitters. Berkmann can't carry the load, and in critical situations, like last night, they will just walk him. Burke, Lane, Ensberg, Lamb, et.al. need to work very very hard on their hitting this off-season. Maybe we need a new or additional hitting coach.

Asmus may be a good receiver but he is a huge liability on offense, plus he can't throw out anyone. I think it is time to consider a new catcher. Biggio and Bagwell have had their chances and need to retire. They have both had successfull careers, perhaps not in the big games, but day to day they have contributed significantly. They are sentimental favorites, but it is essentially over for them, let's go on to the next generation of Astro players. The Astros have a good core of players, but they need to have a "Rockets-like" offseason.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that Ensberg simply had a bad postseason, especially World Series. He had a great year at the plate and it shouldn't be a worry next season. It'll be interesting to see what kind of springboard the playoffs will be for Burke. I like Lane and think he will have a nice year next year. He certainly had a productive second half of the season. As did Ausmus. Bagwell is definitely through as an everyday player. I personally think he'll retire. However, Biggio still has something left and I foresee him starting the year off as our starting 2B before giving over to Burke midway through the season, becoming more of a Billy Spiers type player. He'll add nice pop off the bench.

The future's not the brightest out there, but it's definitely not one to dread. I think this season's unprecedented success will go a long way in how this ballclub plays the next few years. Guys like Ensberg and Lane are going to take the taste they just had and use it to motivate themselves to become better ball players. Taveras is only going to improve and we caught glimpses this series of the type of hitter he can become.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

You make some good points and your remarks on Biggio make sense. The Astros have some very good young players that are going to get better, but, I still think they need to make some changes. I think Clemons might have one more year in him, too.

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Need a slugger who can drive in those stranded runners.

Paul Konerko?? Probably will go to the highest bidder.....

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

This year's team was GREAT. They went to unchartered territory for any Astros team before them and next year they will have a map. Go Stros!

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Can we shut the roof now?

10. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

It's all about Bagwell. If he can find the fountain of youth then maybe we'll have something. If he can't and comes back anyway, then our offense will be only marginally better next season. If he retires then that may open a window of opportunity. The problem is that Baggie probably would not retire until the Spring and by then there would be no free agents of note worth signing. And trading would require giving up good talent or taking on large salary and I can't see the Stros doing either. I see Lane as being much better next season. I hope Mo can repeat his success, and Willy can build off of his success. That and the little matter of Clemens returning or not.

I am watching Sports Center right now and Berman and crew have already buried us for 2006. :mad:

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I didn't even watch SC...Didn't want to get PO'd by hearing their crap about how bad the Astros were and will be in the future, etc. :mad:

I think we'll be good next year as well...We definitely need another bat and depending on who comes back, another pitcher...I think Lidge will bounce back...Biggio will be back and that's great, but Bags, his salary is a liability and will only hurt our chances of getting a good quality FA...

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

(1) Chris Burke needs to be given a serious look at SS in spring training, for two reasons. One because it'll open up more playing time for him being able to play OF, SS, and 2B. The second reason because we all now how bad Everett's hitting is. If Burke can hold his own defensively at SS, it gives us a better bat obviously and opens up the possibility to get more pop in the lineup (because Burke wouldn't be in LF).

(2) We need decisions on Bagwell and Clemens before the free agent signing period begins. If it becomes certain that Bagwell will not make it back, we have to bring in a bat at 1B or OF (preferably LF). Mike Lamb should not be an everyday starter, just a situational/pinch hitter off the bench. Clemens also needs to come to a decision fairly soon for the benefit of the team. That's a big spot in the rotation to fill if he retires, and that probably becomes top priority to fill if we lose him.

(3) Free agents...Obviously we need a bat, but like I said if we lose Clemens I think a SP becomes top priority. Hopefully Luke Scott can break through next year and give us some legit power. Brian Giles would be perfect, so that Berkman can move to 1B everyday. We just don't know how much money he's going to go for and how much we're going to be able to shell out. I think Konerko is a long shot after shining in the postseason...we saw what that did to Beltran last year. Furcal is nice but we need a middle of the lineup type guy. A guy that has always slipped under the radar and might be there is Reggie Sanders, as much as we came to hit him during the last 2 years. I don't think he's the greatest fit, because of his strikeouts...Ensberg and Lane already strike out enough...but he drives in runs and that's what we need.

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Berman is fat

14. tested911

tested911 Member

Sign Konerko...

Hell if we were going to throw a 100 million dollar contract to Beltran.

We can at least make a qualifying offer for him.
    Clemens 18million for 1 year will be coming off the books and that will be plenty.

Call me crazy but I think Dan Wheeler could be a very good closer. If oppurtunity existed I would trade Brad Lidge for some hitting.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Does anyone feel that we might get unintentionally Beltraned by Bagwell? Bagwell is going to try and come back next year, but what happens if he gets to Spring Training and reliazes he just can't throw the ball anymore. We could end up missing out on free agents because of the money that we will have tied up with him.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

I'd bet serious money that we won't be looking to fill 1B.

That is Lance's position of the future IMO.

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Looking at the free agent list, it is quite underwhelming. My personal thoughts:

1. Clemens is a lock to retire. His mom passed away. He got us to the Series. He broke down in September and has been pitching on guts and reputation since.

2. Bagwell: I'd like to see him retire. I don't like seeing the shell of his former self out there. I think it's totally up to his recovery as to whether he returns. On that basis, I'm guessing he's done and will negotiate a buyout of the final year.

3. As to potential FA's and trades:

Konerko plays 1b. Berkman is our 1B now. Bad fit. Bad allocation of dollars
    Adam Dunn: not as good as Konerko. Will cost money and prospects. Plays 1B.
    The guy I want . . . Johnny Damon: Defense, gap power, excellent OBP and OPS for his position. Great contact hitter. He and WillyT could set the table. At this stage in his career, Biggio is better suited for the 6 hole. Don't know what it would cost but he made 8-9M last year.

AJ Burnett would likely cost a lot but he is a power arm that could develop into a No 1 or No2 starter, which I'd like to see us get.

Unless we get a true impact player, I'd basically stand pat and give some kids a chance.

Ausmus probably needs to go. Quintero should be given a shot.

Burke and Scott both need chances to grow, particularly burke. We need to develop talent from within.

Jimerson should be looked at. Gipson is too old to be a legit prospect. And the kid pitcher, Patton I think, he needs to be given a shot too. Wandy and Astacio are ok for a No 5 starter, but we can't have both of them in the rotation.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dunn plays RF.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Biggio just had a career year in homeruns and RBIS didnt he, to say he is washed up would be pretty silly... he is worth every penny of his extension and i am looking forward to watching him play next year...

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

works for me! :)

Dunn-Taveras-Lane

but Lane has get more patient. seriously. has to learn to lay off the high heaters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.