1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Can't wait till opening day. I miss being at MMP....

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If they sign Correia or someone in that vein (I think Vogelsong is light years better/more consistent than Correia), I think Straily will be on even footing with the FA going into ST. If no one stands out, then yes the FA wins. But I think he can easily win the job with a decent ST performance...they just want to have a backup now.

Basically, I don't think the reasons for going for Correia are necessarily the same as going for Vogelsong. This could just be competition in case Straily is awful and/or gets hurt (which he's done a lot in his career)

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I understood Vogelsong, he is a proven capable MLB starter, so he provided a safety net. Correia is proven garbage, I would rather give unproven garbage a chance.

4. kaleidosky

yep. I can't imagine more than a 1 year, 750k contract or something. He accepts because he knows if he pitches well, he has a spot open to him. We take it because that's not so much that we need to commit a slot to him if one of the kids does better.

5. Buck Turgidson

I've seen drunken A-League softball teams with better defense than that.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Wish we were past signing bad veterans to soak up early season starts only to predictably be removed after costing us several games

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just be grateful the Bo Porter/Jerome Williams era is over.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

5th starters on the vast majority of teams are 5th starters for a reason. But I guess it's a step in the right direction with the vaginahurt du jour is surrounding what random 5th starter the Astros are linked to based on Twitter conjecture.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bring back Woody Williams!! :p

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the drunken softball teams play it right, their defense will be worse by the end of the game though.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Drunken softball teams don't employ the types of shifts spun out by our super-computers that mitigate bad individual defenders.

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Gattis is the only sub defender in question. And LF is the easiest position to cover. I don't understand that at all

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Our up the middle range with Altuve and Lowrie is bad, and Gattis is a train wreck, but overall it isn't terrible. Singleton looked bad last year, but doesn't have the rep of being bad. If Carter has to play first, he is bad, but not terrible.

When we field a Rasmus/Marisnick/Springer outfield, it might be the best in all of baseball.

14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

agree. Also, there is a lot of flexibility within the lineup for late inning defensive match-ups etc. Houston Chronicle was also reporting they will try Dominguez at 1B during spring training so perhaps that is a defensive substitution that could work in our favor. Gattis could be moved to DH, Marisnick in C and Carter/Dominguez to 1B (although Carter was subpar, maybe he's improved).

The key wild card in the line-up to me is Singleton. I think he'll be on a short leash given we still have options to send him to AAA and his bat and D were well below average. I like the flexibility this lineup has--anxious to see it in action.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

BaseballProspectus projects a 77-85 record

Code:
                West	  W	L	RS	RA	AVG	OBP	SLG	TAv	FRAA
    Los Angeles Angels	  91	71	737	646	.258	.323	.411	.278	-3.6
    Seattle Mariners	  87	75	669	616	.250	.311	.396	.274	4.7
    Oakland Athletics	  84	78	682	658	.250	.319	.386	.269	24.7
    Texas Rangers		  83	79	708	692	.258	.322	.395	.268	-9.5
    Houston Astros		  77	85	686	728	.245	.311	.406	.268	-20.2

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tough division; looks like all five teams have a shot at finishing at or above .500. Hope the 'stros can avoid finishing at the bottom (and taking the season series from the Rangers)!!

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is largely based on the pythagorean runs scored vs. runs allowed... and since the Astros are predicted to allow the most runs in the division, while being 3rd in runs scored, they're basically predicting that the pitching/defense is well behind the lineup at this point, and will be the main reason why they're predicted to finish last as is.

I agree that there are more unknowns in the pitching rotation... nobody can just presume that Kuechel and McHugh will duplicate their stellar seasons, and the rest of the bunch is a grab-bag of being good to mediocre to awful. Very few high ceiling guys in the system besides Appel. And the bullpen, while improved on paper, still has to come together as a functional unit featuring somebody who will basically be a first-time/full-time closer.

Best case scenario is that Kuechel/McHugh are who they said they were in their first breakout seasons... Appel gets promoted pretty quickly and pitches up to expectations... and the bullpen stays healthy and the pieces fit/live up to their track records.

If all that happens, they will be better in the runs allowed dept than predicted.

18. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Looks like the Rangers got a healthy bump... didn't realize a healthy Prince and Gallardo made that much of a difference.

19. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Also surprised Oakland is pegged that high with how much talent Beane traded since last Fall (starting with Cespedes)

20. kaleidosky

I'm hoping our RA (projected 728 here) goes down from last year (723) with an improved bullpen and hopefully overall similar SP production (with some regression and some progression/normalization from other guys).

Hell, the bullpen had an ERA of 4.80 and an xFIP of 3.90, and we improved the quality from there. Just approaching our xFIP of last year's bullpen would cut 47 RA off and get us in range of .500 based on the above