1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Next Step After Clemens: Signing either Redding or J. Robertson

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishastrosmovesdep&prov=tsn&type=lgns

If the Astros sign RHP Roger Clemens, their next move could be to trade either RHP Tim Redding or LHP Jeriome Robertson for a setup man. Redding could fill that role, but he might view it as a demotion after starting 32 games in 2003. Giving up Robertson may not be as painful as it first would appear. Yes, he won 15 games as a rookie last season, but his run support would have ranked as the second-highest in the N.L. if he hadn't fallen 1 1/3 innings short of the qualifying total. Robertson also allowed a whopping 250 baserunners in 160 2/3 innings and finished with a 5.10 ERA.

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

rogers an astro now ... bye bye tim haha

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why do you seemingly have a problem with Redding? He was 15th in the NL in ERA ahead of Ortiz, Hampton, Maddux, Woody Williams, Matt Morris, Kevin Millowood Matt Clement and a number of other pitchers.

4. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

why do i seemingly have a problem with Redding?? uhhh i was just stating what i typed because i was just pointing out that roger clemens is an astro now.. and i dont recall having any problems with tim redding since i dont keep up with baseball .. i think u got me confused with someone else ;)

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I guess it was the "bye bye tim haha" quote you wrote that had me confused.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

IMO, Redding will win the 5th spot rather easily. Who better to teach mental toughness than Roger Clemens? Redding could win 15 easily this year.

GO ASTROS!

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if redding wins 15 games this year...and we don't have significant injuries to any other starter...this team will win 100 games.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'd rather see JR go vs. Tim...JR was lucky...Also, I expect Dalgy to be gone soon...

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jeriome did it for me when he did wet his pants (literally) in that game against the Brewers in the final series of the year.

We win that game, we're on cruise control to make the playoffs... but you could tell from the FIRST pitch that he didn't have it mentally... and w/ his mediocre stuff, he needs to outthink batters to beat them.

That's why you ALWAYS choose a guy w/ good 'stuff' over a soft-tossing left hander.

If J-Rob goes on to become the next Jamie Moyer, then so be it... it took Moyer a while to find his stuff, but he gives J-Rob hope that he can succeed.

But, there have been far too many cases of teams giving up on power pitchers who struggled early in their careers... only to have them become future hall of famers. (Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling to name two).

I'm not saying Redding will be that great... but he'll always have more natural talent than J-Rob.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Jerry-omey sucks...

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Didn't someone else catch Jeroime? Makes you wonder why they didn't play less of Ausmus (don't get me wrong, I love his defense and game-calling) if with the other catcher in they scored so much more and allowed a 5.10 ERA rookie to post a 15-9 record.

That said, there is something to winning, so Jeroime can't be counted out.

12. franchise?..NOT

Now is he time to get Josh Beckett. We have a solid four starters now and Clemens will undoubtedly raise ticket sales single handedly. Houstononians have traditionally come out in droves to see hometown and stud pitchers. (Ryan, Scott, Johnson, presumably Clemens.) Why not go after Beckett. He would keep the fans coming in long after Clemens and Pettitte are gone and has amazing stuff. What would you give up to get him. Redding, Robertson, Buchholz, Hernandez. We could make a nice package and end up with the next Nolan Ryan/ Roger CLemens playing his career with his hometown team. Oooh. Visions of sellouts into the next two decades.................

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

A setup man? A 4/5 tool CF, I could understand.

Given that neither Redding or Robertson (or Hernandez or Duckworth for that matter) make big $$$, a trade of excess starting pitching is not a forgone conclusion.

14. MadMax

he's under contract...

and why would the marlins trade beckett?

15. franchise?..NOT

I know that and because we can make it worth their while.

16. ths balla

ths balla Member

Sign Greg Maddux:D :D :D

17. MadMax

really? with what??

if you're the florida gm, what would you possibly want the astros to give you that would make up for a very young pitcher who was nails for you in the playoffs a year after you won a world series?

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I sincerely hope they Robertson, who should be overvalued on the market because his offense scored a lot for him, err... for his ability to know "how to win". Redding, despite his inconsistency, has much more potential as a pitcher. If we only gave him some decent run support, he could easily win 13-15 games this year. While I can't see how Robertson can duplicate his record with that bloated 5+ ERA again.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You know - that would assure you of not having to have him on a competitor.

20. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

what about doggy? don't we wanna resign him? do we have a chance?