1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know him, I have never met him but no I don't think he is a bumbler at all. He is supposed to be very bright and likely competent. Any concern about him would like rotate on the fact that he isn't likely to think outside the box. He is someone that is very connected to the league office.

2. Nook

Nook Member

People expecting Crane to go against the commissioner's office have unrealistic expectations.

Let's see how this all plays out. Obviously I would love to have Luhnow and Hinch still but baseball made it clear that wasn't an option.

Baker is competent and Woodfork is as well...... as is Arnold and the other names the Astros have been linked to.

itzIce, IowaAstro and texans1095 like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While I’m not totally all-in on the conspiracy theory that Manfred is a puppet-master pulling all the strings... I do feel its best for the franchise (if I was running things) to make the least controversial/questionable decisions possible.

Especially when you have a roster full of talented, battle-tested, competitive individuals... who we already know will do anything possible to win at all costs, and need somebody who’s been there before to guide them.

And while I don’t feel any of the former GM or manager will be back here any time soon, time does heal everything... and if this current regime peters out when the window closes, Crane will be free to hire whoever he wants to oversee the rebuild (or he sticks with his next GM who may just be up for the job).

itzIce, Nook and jim1961 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that Manfred it a puppet master but there is incredible influence exerted by Manfred and they are on the same page. I don't think the commissioners office is say "You must hire Baker." However the league is certainly "helping" Crane, suggesting who they view are qualified candidates and taking a far more hands on approach than usual. Does it cross the line? As a fan I think it does....... however Manfred and Crane have a mutual interest so from a business sense, I am sure Manfred doesn't see it as crossing the line.

I also agree with you, the longer this scandal has passed; the easier it will be for Crane to hire and fire and run his team exactly how he sees fit.

If the Astro hire someone like Arnold or Woodfork it will be for the purposes of being a long term GM. They are not 70 years old like Baker.

itzIce likes this.
  5. msn

msn Member

Fred Brocklander. Sterling Hitchcock. Walt f'ing Weiss. Frank frickin' Reich.

Time doesn't heal Jack ****.

But winning does. Go Astros. Shove another 100 Ws up everyone's ass.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Winning comes with time. I’m fully healed from all of the above... minus Frank Reich.

7. msn

msn Member

Winning comes with doing things that cause winning. How long have the Oilers been a franchise?

Exactly. What healed those other things? 2017. What's healed the Buffalo meltdown? Well, time sure as hell hasn't.

8. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Do NOT want Woodfart, I have a special gift of recognizing arrogant, condescending, d*ck headed smart as*. After watching one youtube interview, Im convinced.

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

honestly, have we ever been as disappointed as we will be at the start of the baseball and football season?
    even the rockets season started with just a bunch of hesitancies but it was nothing compared to how we will feel about the stros and the Texans... geeez. Just a few months ago, the Astros were 1 give from winning 2nd world series in 3 years

astros123 likes this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

I was looking back, and my sports psyche has been on a systematic downward spiral since about the 8th inning in Game 7. Every day gets worse and worse.

eliefor3 and Hank McDowell like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Astros name new GM/Manager: Bob O’Brien

[​IMG]

Jim, I have experience doing both.
    Our season is over. I can transition over to baseball in the offseason.
    It'll be fine. It's not too much to handle.

#471 J.R., Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Wilbon and Kornheiser applauding Dusty Baker choice. Kornheiser said: "Dusty will keep control in the clubhouse. Their players will get booed relentlessly and get thrown at by opposing pitchers, deservedly." How can they get away with saying garbage like this? To think throwing a 98mph fastball at someones head is deservedly? East coast garbage **** suckers

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kornball also said he wanted to punch Harden right in the teeth.

Nook likes this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

Deservedly?? Couple of bald a**holes.

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

His is an awful hire

arkoe likes this.
  16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

A Company Man who brought this city it’s one and only World Series title in 60+ years.

body slam, Nook, The Beard and 2 others like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Next time you fall, don’t bother getting up. You will never heal.

19. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

Absolute worst hire imaginable. Crane should have found a GM to make this decision because he just made a really bad one. But it's looking like GM may be a swing and a miss too.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No welcome thread says a lot.

BigM likes this.