1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Need Commitment by Clemens

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Oct 3, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with a lot of this article (disagree on the Huff part).

Love the idea of Dontrelle! Where do I sign? Definitely agree with the title of the article.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/4231493.html

Astros need commitment by Clemens

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

OVER the first 28 and last 12 games of the 2006 season, the Astros went a spark- ling 29-11.

It was easy to believe during those stretches that this was a playoff team. But with postseason dreams dashed, the worst thing the Astros could do from here is diminish or discount what happened
    during the 122 games in the middle.

The Astros were 53-69 over that span. With deficiencies in the defense, holes in the lineup and inconsistencies all around, they often were a miserable-looking bunch.

As much fun as the first few and last few games were, the reality of 2006 was that almost half the teams in the majors — 13 finished with a better record than the Astros' 82-80.

For a team that featured three of the best starting pitchers and possibly the best hitter in the National League, 82-80 means there are severe shortcomings that must be addressed. A slide has begun, and that's why this is as crucial an offseason as the Astros have had.

Call it what you want — transition, evolution. But by any name, 2006 did not show how close this team was to the Yankees and Mets of the baseball world, but how far the Astros have slipped from that level.

Budget begins with Rocket
    The only way to rise again is for Astros management to reverse its way of thinking when it comes to Roger Clemens and setting a payroll budget.

It begins with Clemens. You love him. I love him. We all love him. But enough with the wooing and waiting. No more gifts delivered to his house. No more kowtowing to his every whim and machination.

And no more waiting for the chance to sign the greatest pitcher of our time to a half-season contract.

Go ahead, Astros. Tell Clemens how much you want him and love him. Then set a firm Dec. 1 deadline for him to tell you once and for all if he will pitch in 2007.

The Astros likely would want a decision by then from Andy Pettitte, too. But Pettitte should get a bit longer string because he won't cost as much, he'll be offered a one-year contract with an option, and he needs time to ponder if his elbow, which has had issues in two of the past three years, will hold up.

December deadline
    As tantalizing a prospect as re-signing Clemens is, the December deadline for him should be non-negotiable. It's a must, because so many
    juicy possibilities involving the Astros seem to be percolating, and around baseball, things begin to happen in December.

The annual winter meetings, which are attended by virtually every decision-maker in the game, including agents, begin Dec. 3. The Astros cannot afford to spend another round of offseason meetings doing little more than twiddling their thumbs and hanging out by the cocktail shrimp while others are remaking their clubs. Even Clemens should recognize
    the importance of making a call, if only for bolstering his World Series hopes should he return.

As much as a corner outfielder is a priority for this club, it all begins with starting pitching. And the Astros will have a legitimate shot at two starters who could step into a No. 2 or No. 3 role and offer proven ability and experience.

Consider Houston native Woody Williams and Marlins ace lefty Dontrelle Willis in the Astros' sights.

Williams is a free agent who would love to end his career at home, like Pettitte and Clemens. Willis is the most intriguing of options, but acquiring him hinges solely on having a decision from Clemens by Dec. 1.

Willis is entering an arbitration-eligible offseason. He made $4.3 million in 2006 but figures to command between $6 million and $7 million in arbitration. Budget-slashing Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria will be receptive to trade talks.

Willis targeted
    Over the past two years, no team in baseball has made it known more than the Astros that it would like to swing a deal for Willis. General manager Tim Purpura has had off-and-on discussions, with nothing materializing in large part because of the 1-2-3 punch on the Astros' payroll.

It all trickles down from Clemens' decision. So, too, does the 2007 payroll budget.

Get the commitment from Clemens by Dec. 1, and attention can turn to helping other parts of the roster, with more time to make deals happen.

If Clemens announces his retirement, then everything opens up, and money can be spent without reservation.

For all the big things Astros owner Drayton McLane has done right in recent years, one of his biggest mistakes year in and year out has been giving his baseball men a hard-line budget.

Telling Purpura and team president Tal Smith to put together a 2007 team for, say, $90 million and not a dollar more is like telling them to make the proverbial square peg fit into a round hole.

With options such as
    Willis on the Astros' radar, along with veteran Yankees catcher Jorge Posada and
    free-agent outfielders Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee, this offseason will require creativity and flexibility with the
    payroll.

Bullpen adequate
    That's before the Astros even start kicking around trades. Again, it's safe to assume closer Brad Lidge, who holds high value, will be one name mentioned. The Astros like the Dan Wheeler and Chad Qualls 1-2 punch to close games. And Fernando Nieve, who thrived out of the bullpen with a 3.13 ERA and .200 batting average against after the All-Star break, is being groomed as a late-inning setup man.

Willy Taveras also will be a trade commodity, and so, too, will some of the Astros' talented young pitchers. Jason Lane figures to return in lieu of Aubrey Huff, because Huff will demand a multiyear contract. Despite his long slump, Morgan Ensberg could platoon with Mike Lamb at third, and Lane more so than Huff would be a better fit behind Luke Scott in the outfield or as a late-inning defensive replacement.

The holes can be plugged and the inconsistencies with this team fixed quickly. But only if the Astros take a firm stand with Clemens and a flexible one with the budget.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Did I just read the words "Bullpen" and "Adequate" in an Astros article?

3. MadMax

our bullpen was a strength this year, a-train. particularly from the all star break on, when they had the lowest ERA in the majors.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Wonder if we could pull something off involving Lidge and Dontrelle...obviously the Fish want yong players back so it might cost us a minor leaguer or 2....interesting. Wouldn't have thought we were so hell bent on getting Willis.

Love to see us end up re-signing Clemens and Pettitte...adding Willis.....and throwing Carlos Lee or Vernon Wells into the mix.

5. MadMax

i've actually heard rumblings of this from various folks. people i know and media bits as well. but i haven't heard anyone "summarize" it as lopez did, yet. just that the astros have repeatedly expressed interest in willis.

6. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or Dontrelle and Willy T? The marlins do need a true centerfielder.

7. MadMax

that wouldn't surprise me at all.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i doubt the validity of the willis conjecture. two years of clandestine maneuvering and the usual big dogs (yanks, mets and red sox) haven't picked up the scent? highly unlikely.

if there've been any discussions, they probably went like this:
    (on the phone)
    tim p: hey, flordia gm guy - is dontrelle willis available? no? ok, thanks.

(six months later)
    tim p: hey, flordia gm guy - it's tim p, again - still no? ok. thanks.

(three months later)
    tim p: yeah, hi, it's - really? so hell has NOT frozen over? ok, got it. check.

(one month later)
    tim p: h - ok. sorry.

(one week later)
    tim p: hi, i was - just... the police? really?

(one day later)
    tim p: hey, i got your invitation to join you in reality - thought it was REALLY funny... and just so we're clear: where do we stand on willis? ok, sir - please refrain from that kind of language; besides, i doubt that's humanly possible. lord knows i've tried.

(one hour later)
    tim p: hey, was in the shower; thought i might've heard the phone ring... no? you there? hello? ok, call me - morgan ensberg's not going to trade himself to florida for dontrelle willis!!!!

it's (likely) a typically sloppy article name-dropping a guy the team has ZERO chance of acquiring to get the fans riled up.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lidge is making too much money now, even though he's still in arbitration. He's also too close to needing a long-term deal... this would be the point where the Marlins trade a guy like Lidge (if he was on their team)... I don't see them wanting him in return.

To have a realistic shot of acquiring Willis, the Astros would have to give up the following:
    Hunter Pence
    Troy Patton
    Matt Albers
    Josh Anderson
    Willy Taveras

And even then... this vast collection of the "best of the best" the Astros have may not get it done.

Also, I trust Lopez articles even less than I trust Justice articles... I don't really think Lopez spends much time talking to anybody for that long (especially not long enough to find out the "inner workings" of the organization).

10. crose

Supporting Member

What do you think about Luke sliding over to CF?

11. MadMax

i hate it. the guy can barely field a corner OF spot.

12. MadMax

there is no way anyone offers them a package like that. there is no way the astros would need to offer that much to get that done.

13. crose

Supporting Member

True, but he does have speed, and if we were to lose Willy T in a trade, and were not able to get something resembling a CF in return(along w/Willis), I think it is an option worth exploring.

Willy T was sub-par his first year in center. I dont know how Lukes arm compares, though.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You overvalue the Astros current players/farm system...

They got Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett... the Astros do not have a prospect even close to the level of Hanley Ramirez, and if they did, he'd be considered "untouchable" by Pupurra/Drayton (and rightfully so...)

Pence = not so young... but has shown he can hit on every level.
    Patton = raw lefty who's future may be in the bullpen, not as a starter
    Albers = young starter who could develop into a #2-#3 starter, but not an ace.
    Anderson = true CF and leadoff hitter... but unproven at the high levels.
    Willy = mixed success in the big leagues... terrible OBP/extra base capability for a leadoff hitter.

So, out of all the guys I mentioned, the Marlins could look at each of them and be very underwhelmed... the Astros have a lot of "good" minor league talent, but not that one guy you could consider "great".

My guess is the Marlins find a trading partner to give them that "great" prospect.

15. Buck Turgidson

Roger Clemens's plans did not affect the Astros offseason moves in '06, I don't see why '07 would be any different. "Special situation" with regards to Clemens & the budget, said Drayton.

Saying that Clemens somehow prevented the Astros from acquiring Willis is ridiculous. If he were available last season, he might not be an Astro, but he sure as hell would not still be a Marlin.

Build the team without him, and if he comes back, great. An early answer along the lines of "I'm planning on coming back if I'm physically able, and if I come back it will be with Houston." would be wonderful, but I doubt his ego allows him to head off all the fawning speculation out of the NE.

I'm not sure JPL spoke to anyone with the Astros before writing this, especially re: Huff, Ensberg, Lane.

16. crose

Supporting Member

with Willis set to get a payraise, I do not think the Marlins will be that reluctant to trade him, especially with all of the young pitching they have.

17. MadMax

Luke is just an awful defender. He might have speed...it doesn't matter. He doesn't judge balls well at all. No amount of speed can make up for that.

They'd put Burke in CF right now if there were no Willy, assuming no one else gets picked up to play the position.

18. Buck Turgidson

He's not very good in RF or LF, not sure why he would be anything other than bad in CF.

Nick, you're insane. 5-1?

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No... I agree that the Marlins will trade him... I just think other teams have more top shelf prospects to offer than the Astros.

If I was running the Marlins, I'd take quality over quantity any day... the Astros could offer them a ton of players with substance, but they can't offer them a guy who would be too good for them to pass up.

20. MadMax

i realize we don't have a hanley ramirez. i still don't think they would get an offer accumulating to that many players from anyone. we'll see, i guess.