1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros, Matsui Agree to $15 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Did the Houston Astros steal a free agent away from the Cubs or save the Cubs from themselves?

That question apparently will be answered over the next three years. The Astros reportedly have agreed with free-agent second baseman Kaz Matsui on a three-year contract worth $15 million.
    Cubs general manager Jim Hendry was in the Dominican Republic Thursday and could not be reached late. Earlier Thursday, Hendry said: "We're definitely interested. We'd like to have him."

The switch-hitting Matsui, 32, played for the National League-champion Colorado Rockies this year, batting .288 with 4 home runs and a .342 on-base percentage, well above his career OBP of .325. Matsui's career OBP was one reason the Cubs' interest was not sitting well with many of their fans.

The other was that current second baseman Mark DeRosa enjoyed an above-average year, with a .371 OBP and 10 homers. The Cubs had planned to use Matsui at second base while putting DeRosa into a super-utility role.

The Cubs will go to next week's winter meetings looking for left-handed hitting.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=86977

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

WTF? I thought we fired Tim Purpura.

$5 million a year for an average at best 2B?

3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I'm not fan of his or like him but can we just start chris burke at 2b for peanuts instead matsui??? I mean burke could hit about .270 avg, 12 hrs and like 20 SBs

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

WOOHOO :rolleyes:

What a waste of money.

5. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

This isnt a real big waste of money at least we didnt give him the deal the mets gave castillo. The astros need to get rid of purpura's boys badly, to boost morale of the fans.

6. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

This signing is so up in the air to me. It's possible that any adjective could accurately be applied to it in a year or two. "Amazing" - could happen. "Horrible" - could happen. "Purple" - yeah, possibly. "Average" - yep, maybe.

Who knows? Probably will be a lot of successful steals this year, though, which will be fun at any rate.

7. Major

Major Member

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kinda what I am thinking.

DD

10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Eww...overpaying for the Asian version of Chris Burke.

11. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

lessens the chances that biggio will come out of retirement and play for us again. works for me.

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Astros set to sign 2B Kaz Matsui

Nov. 30, 2007, 12:24AM
    Astros set to sign 2B Kaz Matsui

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Barring some unforeseen developments, the Astros will beat out the Chicago Cubs and Colorado Rockies to sign free-agent second baseman Kazuo Matsui, a person with knowledge of the negotiations confirmed on Thursday night.

Without addressing Matsui, Astros general manager Ed Wade stuck to his policy of not commenting on specific players until a contract is done.

"We don't have a deal done with anyone," said Wade, who declined to talk about specific players.

"As has been the case all offseason, when we get a deal done with someone, we'll announce it."

Nonetheless, it has been no secret the Astros have coveted Matsui to the point that Wade flew to Los Angeles last week to meet with Matsui's agent, Arn Tellem.

Tellem has not returned calls from the Chronicle in recent weeks.

Matsui, 32, has a .272 career batting average over four seasons in the majors since leaving the Japanese League. He spent his first 2 1/2 seasons with the New York Mets before being traded to the Rockies on June 9, 2006.

Matsui, who helped the Rockies win the National League pennant and reach the World Series for the first time in franchise history, hit .288 with four home runs, six triples, 37 RBIs and 32 stolen bases last season.

In Matsui, the Astros will get a veteran second baseman to replace franchise icon Craig Biggio, who retired this year after 20 seasons with the club.

Chris Burke, who the Astros drafted as a shortstop in the first round in 2001 out of the University of Tennessee, had been considered the heir apparent to Biggio at second base for several years. Although Wade made it clear this month he would be comfortable with Burke starting at second, the club has been aggressive in the free-agent market.

The Astros made a strong push for free agents Luis Castillo and Matsui. Castillo decided to re-sign with the Mets, but the Astros appear to have outbid the Cubs — who offered a three-year, $14 million deal — for Matsui.

The Astros will have a prototypical No. 2 hitter in Matsui, while also having Burke available as a backup infielder/outfielder or as a prime trade piece to help acquire a starting pitcher or a quality reliever.

If the season started today, manager Cecil Cooper's first two batters would be players Wade acquired this winter. Center fielder Michael Bourn, who landed in Houston in the Brad Lidge trade, would lead off, and Matsui would bat second. Hunter Pence, Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee will be the next three batters, although it remains to be seen if Pence will hit third or fifth.

jesus.ortiz@chron.com

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Great. How long before the KOF infiltrate the boards? :rolleyes:

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I'm iffy on matsui compared to castillo/iguchi for consistency reasons but I also think he really did turn the corner in colorado and turned himself into a solid player. He's not the player he was with the mets.

He hit over .290 vs RHP both in 2006/2007 and though his road splits aren't favorable, they have a lot to do with 4 hits in 22 ab's at petco in 2006 and 4 hits in 32 at bats at dodger stadium in 07. In fact, if you take the dodger stadium numbers out of his road numbers in 07 he hits .271 instead of .249. That is the difference of one really bad park and only 100-200 ab's.

The petco numbers in 2006 dropped his average on the road from .275 to .260.

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

boom or bust...leaning on bust considering his history...i would have rather had tad iguchi. at least he's been consistently average.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

2008 Lineup as of 11/07:

1. Michael Bourn CF
    2. Kaz Matsui 2B
    3. Lance Berkman 1B
    4. Carlos Lee LF
    5. Hunter Pence RF
    6. Ty Wigginton 3B
    7. JR Towles C
    8. Adam Everett SS
    9. Roy Oswalt SP

17. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

i feel this will work out well for some reason

Our speed in front of Berkman/Lee/Pence should give other teams fits.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

there's no proof that this guys is any better then burke and he's older. very confusing move.

so i guess burke is being traded at some point. berkman's gonna be pissed.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Okay. Let me get this straight. He just played at the friendliest hitters park and still only managed a .342 OBP, which is actually a very good year due to his history. He's 32, and speed, one of the first things to deterioate with age, is a big part of his game.

I know $5 mil isn't what it used to be. But I still can't believe it's just enough to get us Kaz Matsui. I know they're not high on Burke. But this is a pretty damning statement about what they think of him.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow...Im so unimpressed by this move. I would have been more impressed if it never took place. Im going to bed.