1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros lash out about games played in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bag0b0y, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

ESPN

Interesting read from ESPN.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

EFF YOU SELIG :mad:

3. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

I boycotted at the beginning of the year anything involved with Bud Selig, and I am glad I did so.

From a PR stand point I have never seen the figure head of a corporation put such a black eye on that corporation and still have the job. The reason he still has the job, is simply b/c he makes a lot of tainted dollars.

4. MaxwellsTemper

The fact that Selig felt the need to take out a full-page ad to justify having the games in Milwaukee tells me he knows it was the wrong decision..

5. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Exactly!

How guilty can you look?

6. msn

msn Member

"We Survived Ike"
    "Bud Killed Us"

...the minute they donned that shirt, the fading postseason hopes were dead. You are what you say you are, and with 9 (or was it 10) regular season games remaining, our mulit-million-dollar-making Astros pronounced themselves dead.

Reprehensible.

They were dealt an unfair hand to be sure, but they've responded like schoolchildren. I am disappointed, to say the least.

Hey Doug and Lance--take a trip to Galveston, then try to b**** about having to play a child's game for a pay a child's game for a living. You poor things.

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'm actually glad they didn't just let this one go. It was a big deal. That decision totally killed the roll we were on and to suggest that there were no other better options is ridiculous.

The playoffs is hardly a big deal considering all the Ikeaballoo, but to a city with a lot on its mind, the playoffs could have been a nice distraction and a hell of a morale boost.

I hope they get fined just to bring more attention to Selig's suckitude. The guy is a joke these last few years and needs to be replaced. Baseball doesn't need this.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm glad this isn't dying down...F BS...

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Astros are looking like a bunch of whiners this is so last week why keep bringing it up?

The Astros blew it in Florida, not Milwaukee vs. the Cubs.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

11. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Hello, this is Ticketmaster Customer Service with an important alert for your upcoming event. HOUSTON ASTROS VS CHICAGO CUBS, scheduled at MINUTE MAID PARK on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2008, at 7:05 PM, has been cancelled.

Your credit card will automatically be credited the ticket price and convenience charges, and should post to your account within 7 to 10 business days. Please note, the $4.11 per order processing fee and any ticketFast or UPS delivery charges are non-refundable.

If you have any questions, please contact us online at:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/h/asktm.html

Thank you for using Ticketmaster. We appreciate your business!

So not only do I not get to see the Astros play, but I still have to pay the service charge for using the website.

BULL*****!!!!!

12. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Yea, I'm glad they're not letting this die too. So what was the reason why they couldn't play anywhere else? According to my math, half the teams playing that day...didn't play at home! Did they shine light on why it was the only possible place to play in Chic--I mean Milwaukee?

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bingo.

If you were so confident that it was the right thing to do, then there is nothing to apologize for.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Ummmm, where is the blame for our spineless owner????

F*** Drayton.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Absolutely. How many other owners in MLB would have allowed their team, in a dazzling dash to make the playoffs after a mostly horrible season no less, to be screwed that badly?

Only drayton.

Every year, the guy shows Houston more and more of his true colors, and that is GREEN $$. Nothing else at all matters to this guy.

That guy needs to be run out of town on a rail, so we can have an owner who actually believes in doing more than TALKING about winning a championship.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

bravo! amen! etc.!

this is, more or less, my point of view 99.999999% of the time; we get so focused on this one specific thing that we often lose sight of the bigger picture. i've seen it happen over and over and over again - there are people STILL b****ing about baby vince, for instance and his freaking career may be over.

it's disappointing; i wish the astros - from a sports-only context - had been spared all this and been given a chance to finish out their season under different/optimum circumstances. it would have been nice, not to mention a lot of fun.

but once ike blew into town, it was over. you can b**** all you want about milwaukee and selig, but a storm that catacylsmic was going to be tough to overcome under ANY circumstances, favorable or not.

17. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

how much dumber can one guy get?

Selig honestly thought that moving our games to Milwaukee was the most reasonable/best option available?! Talk about kicking a guy while hes down, in the middle of an improbable wild card run, momentum behind us and he decides to take home field advantage away and give it giftwrapped to the team were playing?! First and foremost, as bad as the hurricane was to our city, im not even going to factor that in to this post because him taking home field advantage away from us alone warrants him receiving the award as most corrupt commisioner ever.

How can a guy who has tried to build the prestige of home field advantage by making the All Star game "count" by awarding the winner home field advantage in the world series, rip it from a team prime in their hunt of making it in and putting us smack dab in the middle of Cubs/Brewer country? I guess it makes sense to put us in a "Neutral" site like Milwaukee because its not like Brewer or Cub country has any interest in what the Astros are doing these days....I would like to see Selig do the same thing to one of his babies...say Boston is destroyed by some disaster and they move the Sox Devil Rays series to Yankee Stadium, how is that any different?

I guess selig really wants the to pamper the Cubs into the playoffs, while after we played our "home" games in milwaukee, its straight to Miami while the Cubs had to travel ALL THE WAY back to chicago for their next series...

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(sigh....)
    those games are ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things for the cubs. even if the hurricane had never happened and the astros swept chicago here at MMP... the cubs still would have won the division and secured homefield advantage throughout the NL playoffs.....

the cubs certainly benefited... but they didn't need any benefits. and those two games will have zero.point.zero impact on the cubs' performance in the postseason.

19. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Im 100% certain the cubs were going to secure the NL central and homefield advantage and that they didnt need any benefits but as you said yourself, the cubs did benefit whether they wanted it or not therefore the pampering comment.

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member