1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros, Josh Hader agree to 5 year, $95 million contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Overatedness? Are you ****ing delusional?

Rock Block, cbass, marks0223 and 5 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Meyers gets some of the best jumps in all of baseball, it's his single most valuable ability.

His only real weakness is that he doesn't seem to very dexterous when he has to adjust his body to make plays, something Chas does excel at. Meyers tends to make a lot of difficult plays actually look easy (therefore he gets no credit from fans who love to see dives), and when he is forced into a highlight like catch (that lesser outfielders wouldn't have even had a chance at) he tends to fail at it.

Wulaw Horn, 13 in 33 and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Convos here are harder to follow as my mute list gets longer...

4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Same. But when I see five good posters in a row react to a muted post saying some variant of “you are wrong,” it validates that muting.

Stephen66, DVauthrin, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I understand why some folks like Dusty because of his personality and ability to get to the ALCS (despite a losing record in 2020 with a Dusty proof lineup) but... what I don't get is the arguments that...
    1) Maldy is the only one making Framber and Verlander good
    2) Chas shouldn't start because he is not Willie Mays reincarnated
    3) Bregman should be traded for the future while sacrificing 2024 when the dark year trades of Oswalt and Berkman netted us the likes of Brett Wallace
    4) Crane will never spend money
    5) Hunter Brown provides more value in the bullpen although that would cut his projected innings by more than half.
    6) Any free agent signing means someone is getting DFA'd because football fans here have no idea how baseball contracts or roster construction works.

6. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

You’re a real idiot if you use a 60 game season against Dusty.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'll add Alvarez can't play LF without a high risk of injury. After getting his knees fixed, his problems have all been hands and wrists almost exclusively from HITTING.

lnchan, DVauthrin and No Worries like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Clearly he’s the idiot. Clearly.

cmlmel77, cmoak1982 and IBTL like this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We need to find a spot in the lineup where Yordan does not need to field or hit.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas McCormick over-rated and it continues?

Maybe Chas is over-rated now. Maybe he falls on his face the rest of his career as this was an incredibly lucky last year. Empirically, he has outperformed every major projection system every year of his MLB career and outperformed all, but the most pro-Chas fan ratedness every year. To say it continues is really dishonest on how he has performed versus expectations.

Rock Block and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Eventually performance should win out over projection based on observation and measurable

I think there are some players like Chas and Urquidy who are not blessed with 5 star talent but continue to outperform expectations. Heart and effort are not measurable. France may end up there too and I hope he does.

They usually have a shorter peak and career (often fueled by older start) but right now they both feel like they should be good for another couple of years. As for France, he could be at the start of a 5 year Urquidy like run or become a AAAA pitcher- we will see.

None of these players are stars and they may well have peaked and future results may have the regression so many predicted for them.

But at some point, the continuous overachievement must raise the future expectations even if it's not all the way to their previous performance levels and only for a short time.

The issue is that baseball at this level is a brutally difficult game. Those with only 4 star talent don't have the same cushion if they lose a fraction of a second of reaction time or 1% of their vision, etc.

I think that's the reason why overachievers have shorter careers and the prognosticators are predicting this year to be the fall, every year.

And it always is, eventually.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Clearly he can do both. And I've been saying it for over a year now. Alvarez is our LFer.

However; if this is indeed true, a flyer on J. D. might be worth a gamble and we know they've already been in contact with his agent.

Altuve 2b
    Bregman 3B
    Alvarez* LF
    Abreu 1B
    Tucker* RF
    Martinez DH
    Diaz C
    McCormick/ Meyers CF
    Pena SS

#212 Marshall Bryant, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    AznH-TownFan and No Worries like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Very glad to see the Stros actually did something.
    I had basically resigned myself to the idea that we were going to sit tight.
    Got to keep Pressly around for this to make us dangerous though.

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think Alvarez gets some starts at 1st base in the Spring and if it works out he will be the primary DH and 1st base bench in 24 with little to no time in LF at all. McCormick is the starting left fielder, with Tucker in RF and Meyers in CF for now. Corona, Leon, or Loperfido makes the team out of Spring training as the bench outfielder. Dubon will cover 2nd, 3rd, and SS from the bench.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eventually, projections should lineup with performance if performance is relatively normal in variance and typical age progression/regression.

I'd guess Chas beats his Steamer and ZiPS projections for the 4th straight year. I'm sure that has been done before, but it is probably really rare. The ZiPs projection might actually be high on the WAR/600, but thinks he will be a part-time player which will limit his WAR. Steamer basically thinks there must have been a reason manager played Chas so few PAs over the past 3 years.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

WTF! Another thread has devolved to talking about either Chas/Meyers, Maldy or Dusty?

Wish it wasn't the only notable or news breaking thread in here, but you guys never cease to amaze me as to constantly re-gurgitating the same stuff regardless of forum.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Sorry. My fault. I compared Urquidy to Chas, as far as over achieving projections and maximizing less than 5 star talent and - we were off.

My apologies

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

nothing wrong with isolated statements... just certain topics or players trigger people (both ways).

Still not sure how or why Dusty/Maldy continues to be worked into every discussion... truly wonder what some will do next year without them.

CheezeyBoy22 and Bregatron like this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Maybe find something else to b**** about?

Rock Block likes this.