1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure which side of the argument you stand on...but it seems that you agree that Luhnow should be able to rebuild the farm depth that would be lost in any potential trade.

2. Buck Turgidson

I'm much more worried about keeping the core together. Win now = more money = bigger payroll

The Beard likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If were defining sides....

If your (us) on the outside looking in, that is to say not a player or two away from going deep into the playoffs, then you hold on to farm talent a bit more and if this was where we were at, I wouldn't give up a kings ransom for Q.

But if your (we) within striking distance of that long sought deep playoff run, then you go for it, even if it means overpaying a bit on a trade. This is especially true for a guy who fits your needs (pitching) and payroll (contract).

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure. Then again, if they have a clear-cut replacement... AND the expensive free agent to be happens to be showing signs of regression (as some 31-32 year olds are apt to do), I'd be fine with them re-stocking the core.

I do hope they're aggressive on early extensions... although after the Altuve heist, I can see why some agents may be hesitant.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They sorta did that with Giles... and now, the revamped lineup has gone away from the boom/bust approach, which should help with consistency.

They just got to know if their starters are going to hold up... if they do nothing, its a gamble. If they go all-in, its also a gamble.

6. Buck Turgidson

Odor just set the market there, at least at the low end (double+ that for Correa). That was a pretty fair contract but I was kinda surprised he signed it.

7. Buck Turgidson

Nobody has really suggested doing either of the extremes.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's been a smattering of "do nothing", along with a smattering of "do what it takes to get a front-line starter".

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I go back and forth on making a huge move now but in my head I know that a guy like Dombrowski, if given the current organizational status, would get us a championship. And that's all I really want. A prolonged contention window sounds great but just getting one ring takes such a huge load off.

10. Buck Turgidson

...and it seems to me the consensus is "do something if it's within reason. Or wait until it is".

"Windows" don't last forever, and of course we're all unsure about it. Obviously the Stros are as well. If this stuff were easy, any of us idiots with internet access and/or a playstation sim could do it.

11. Progs

Progs Member

Bregman will help but Musgrove is unproven. Not sold on Reed, Fisher, Paulino or Davis just yet. Even Martes is still kind of raw. And none of those players will most likely not be in the class of the 4 fore mentioned star players. When these prospects reach their primes, mostly likely Springer & Correa or Springer with Keuchel won't be with Houston. This is baseball, and not basketball or football. Need to strike while the iron is hot when a player like Quintana presents itself.

You pretty much just proved to me that your logic is just silly lol

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but in that case, why bother even discussing it?

I do think they'll eventually pull of a move for a front-line pitcher.... but whether that move is done out of neceessity/desparation, or stacking the deck, remains to be seen.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

14. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The point that I apparently fail to make was that the window may not a short 2-3 year period where the Astros can be contenders. Bregman extends it, as might Musgrove, Martes, KTucker, etc. The longer the window, the less of a need to make an all-in move.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure anybody here is advocating for moves thinking this is a 2-3 year window only.

Also, not everybody who's going to be called up is going to live up to their minor league projections.... but even if that were to be true, those playing at an MVP level now may not be at that level (or be on the team at all) once the younger talent starts to get good.

At some point, whether its with this core... or whether its with the future mythical core that has Tucker = Ted Williams...they're going to need healthy front-line starters to give them the best chance to win it all.

17. Buck Turgidson

I dunno, ask the Royals, or the Indians in the 90's, or Billy Beane, or Detroit recently, or any number of teams.

Like I said, they have the resources to do both: plan for the future and still go for it in the present. I don't see how trading a couple of guys really hurts that. I'd rather hang on to Tucker/Whitley, same with Martes/Reed., but whatever, you're not going to trade them all. I trust Luhnow & Co to keep some good ones and find some new ones.

I just think this idea that the Stros window of contention will last for 5+ years is a fallacy. How do we know? Their "window of being good" will for sure last that long, but I want more. Just once at least.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with your general sentiment

But I personally think that we wait at least a month or so before pulling the trigger on anything. If we come out and Keuchel looks like the Cy Young version, and Lance looks healthy, and Musgrove comes out strong...we probably don't need to give up a package like Martes, Tucker, Musgrove to bring in a Quintana...if any of those or Morton or whoever struggles/injures...pull the trigger at that point, we have the available talent to make the deal happen if we truly feel like we need to

19. Buck Turgidson

Oh I've said as much before. May 1ish is when you reevaluate everything.

Unless there's a great move to be made in the offseason, obviously that was not the case, so we'll see.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree...if they would take Tucker, Reed and a low end guy for Quintana, then i'd pull the trigger now. But for what's being reported...no need, not yet