1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Garcia

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JunkyardDwg, Jun 27, 2008.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Not really surprising given current events.

HOUSTON -- The Astros are interested in free-agent right-hander Freddy Garcia.

"I talked to his agent, Peter Greenberg, earlier in the week, and he informed me that Freddy is expected to be ready to throw in front of scouts soon," Astros general manager Ed Wade told MLB.com on Friday afternoon. "I let him know that we want to be there."

Garcia, 33, hasn't pitched since June 8, 2007, for Philadelphia and has been rehabbing from right shoulder surgery.

The two-time All-Star came up through the Houston organization before the Astros traded him to Seattle on July 31, 1998, along with Carlos Guillen and John Halama, for Randy Johnson.

Garcia won 17 games for the White Sox in 2005 and three more in the postseason that year, including a win against Houston in the World Series.

Jim Molony is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=3013962&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Make it happ'n, Cap'n.

3. Major

Major Member

What's the point here? He hasn't pitched since last June - he's going to need a month or two in the minors to get his arm ready. So you're talking about late August or September before he's ready?

Unless they're looking at him for next year, this seems kinda pointless. At the same time, I don't know how you'd value him as far as a multi-year deal goes.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I second this. Based on several published stories, I understand that it is unreasonable for him to be back to form before next year. In other words, he may get on a mound this year, but he probably needs 3 or 4 months of rehab pitching to return to as close to pre-surgery form as will happen.

If you sign him to one year and you expect him to be a high quality pitcher this year, you will be disappointed. If you sign for 2 or 3 years, you are rolling the dice which actually might not be a bad idea given the Astros' near term pitching prospects but also requires him being reasonable about not requiring 'healthy Garcia' salary.

A two year deal with extremely large incentives for healthy second year performance might be a nice compromise, but also might affect your ability to commit money on ‘sure-thing’ free agents this winter.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Otto -- your last point touches on what i'm valuing here. the idea that we have very little on the farm and will need all the starting pitching help we can get until we develop our own