1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros in the Ben Sheets Sweepstakes?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Silfam, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Silfam

Silfam Contributing Member

From Foxsports - citing the Boston Globe:

"The Brewers might undergo major upheaval if they don't hold on to win the NL Central, according to multiple baseball officials. CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets are likely heading elsewhere as free agents. The Angels and Dodgers may have a tug-of-war for Sabathia, while the Astros, with some heavy lobbying by Roy Oswalt, could land Sheets. There will be no shortage of suitors for shortstop J.J. Hardy, including Detroit and Baltimore. And the biggest shock of all might be the team's willingness to deal Prince Fielder for a starting pitcher. -- Boston Globe"

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/mlb#4

Never even knew Oswalt and Sheets were friendly. While he is injury prone, I don't know what other options we have - we really need front line starting pitching and he can be dominant at times. Oswalt and Sheets is a top line 1-2 combo (assuming Sheets' health of course, which is HUGE assumption). He won't command Sabathia money because of his injury history, maybe we actually can get him. Who knows?

Thoughts?

2. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

I believe Roy O and Sheets were Olympic teammates in 2000. We know Peavy and Roy are real t1te, but i didn't know about this either.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would just be very cautious about the deal. He can be dominant, but as mentioned can also be injury prone and, hard to believe, will be on his 9th season and past 30 next year - obviously, good pitchers can go way beyond 30 and be dominant and effective, but just things to keep in mind.

you have to get pitching somewhere, somehow, though, so worth a shot for sure.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes, they were good friends since the 2000 Olympics. Also, Sheets might like the chance to play closer to home (Baton Rouge).

That said, the guy is injury prone and will be looking for a deal in the 5yr range. There is no way I'd give him more than 3 with maybe a team option for a 4th.

By the way, what the hell does "t1te" mean?

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Oswalt and Sabbathia are also friendly. When CC was struggling at the start of the year, he got a text from the Wizard.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

True, but I believe the Yanks have something like $120 million coming off the books for 09. You know they're going to throw tons at CC...especially moving into the new park.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

We definitely need another starting pitcher...Is it sheets, maybe, but don't throw him Kaz money...I'm just saying...

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Sheets makes one more start this year, it will be the first year since 2004 he has pitched over 200 innings. 2005 - 2007, he wasn't even close.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

why not go after CC Sabbathia he is much more dominant.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Kaz money? :confused:

Matsui is making $5 million a year for three years. With Sheets, you'd be talking $12 million a year for four years, minimum I'd guess. If you don't want to spend Kaz money ($5 million) for a starting pitcher, then you'll have a rotation of Brian Moehler's and Dave Borkowski's.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Unfortunately, there's no bargain shopping for a pitcher in Sheet's league... not in the current market, where pitching is at a premium. If you limit yourself to 3 year deals, you're telling Sheets to go elsewhere. Because someone is gonna make him a 5 year offer. Yankees and Dodgers and every other big spending club are in the market for good pitching, even at the risk of injury.

The only other way to get a #2 type pitcher is to find someone willing to trade one away, and the asking price there isn't going to be cheap either. The farm system doesn't look like it's going to produce anyone like that anytime soon.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Tite or tight...as in close.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Because the Astros could offer him 6 years for $120 million and the Yankees would offer more. The Astros could offer 7 years at $150 million and the Yankees would offer more.

Perhaps a bit of hyperbole, but the general premise is true.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

We would be lucky to get him for twice what we paid Kaz, even with consideration to his injury history. The bigger issue is length of contract. You are right, though - he is the Kaz Matsui of pitchers.

That being said, an Oswalt-Sheets 1-2 would get me excited for 2009.

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'm glad we have a team that never goes fire sale mode ala Florida/apparently Milwaukee. What do they expect? Randomly have a dominant season and their FAs sign for peanuts? Bunch of Ebeneezer Sterlings if you ask me.

Then again I've met the occasional Marlin fan. I have never in my life met a Pirate fan but I'd respect the hell out of them. They've never even had a fair weather fan or heard of a bandwagon. Bandwagons cost money you know. It's too bad. Pirates are cool.

If we sign a top pitcher, we are right back in the hunt after a whole ZERO years of rebuilding/reloading. Ah, the life of a Stros fan. We really do have it good. How many late season rallies have we had in the last few years? It really does take the edge off of the late NBA off-season.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Maybe he meant Kazmir :confused:

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

It would make even less sense in that case:

Scott Kazmir 2008 salary: $3,785,000

Kaz Matsui 2008 salary: $5,500,000

18. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

Maybe he meant overpaying for an injured player.

Injured Kaz - not worth $5.5 million

Injured Sheets - not worth $12+ million

19. Major

Major Member

Unless the price comes down substantially, the Astros need to stay away from Sheets. His ERA and health this year is substantially better than the past several years. This would be the classic case of paying for a career year.

20. Landlord Landry

isn't there supposedly a plethora of pitchers available this offseason?

I'd like to have Sheets, but not for $12 mill per.