1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros fire Brad Mills

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 18, 2012.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'll take "Public Relations" for $500, Alex.

An owner/GM can't come out and say, "Well, we're screwed regardless so it doesn't matter what the hell we do." You release a few quotes filled with buzzwords like "new environment" and "message to the fans" and call it a day.

I'm consistently amazed at what the general public accepts at face value. What individuals in positions of power say to the public is carefully crafted with a set goal in mind, and rarely represents what is really going on behind the scenes.

Actions speak louder than words. You don't trade 90% of your players that have a pulse if winning right now is that important to you. Just relax, man.

2. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros front office wants to lose, they do not want to be the worst team ever, but they want that #1 pick and the bonus money that comes with it.

If you read between the lines it is easy to tell why the firing took place, the attitude and vibes in the clubhouse were becoming a problem. This is not a surprise, they could EASILY lose 115 games this season and players will eventually have a bad attitude. I do not blame Mills, as virtually every manager would not be able to avoid bad attitudes when your team gets it's ass handed to it.

Still, the firing is not surprising. There are 40 games less, a new manager and coaches come in, and the mood changes slightly.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well the mood may change slightly but the loses will - without a doubt -continue to pile up. This sort of jibes with what I have heard reported up here (Dallas) that Crane is really miffed more at the dead, empty Minute Maid Park than with the losing. If he actually believes that firing Mills will bring folks back to the ballpark, he's in for the rudest of surprises. And if he thinks this is bad, just wait until next year when the Rangers, A's and Angels use the Astros for BP and dance on their widdle heads.

Baseballa is right: You don't trade 90% of your players with a pulse if you expect to actually win games. If you are rebuilding in the manner to which the Astros are doing so, then you simply cannot hold the manager accountable for producing wins if he doesn't have the tools with which to do so. This doesn't look carefully crafted at all but rather a move that was done in a fit of pique by Crane because of the poor attendance at MM Park. The best PR would have been for him to keep his trap shut and let the GM handle the media. My BS meter went off the scale when I saw/heard what he said.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I'm betting Crane is counting on other peoples BS meter to read differently ;)

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Crane really thinks folks will come and see a minor league team while paying Major league prices then he's about as delusional as Bud Adams. Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be the Next one.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Crane does not expect people to show up, he knew attendance would be low when he bought the team and when they went into full rebuilding mode. He hopes people will show up and do what he can to increase attendence, but he knows that winning is what will put butts in the seats.

7. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Hmmm according to Astros county, ausmus is interested in replacing mills. I always thought highly of ausmus, although he maybe too green.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Won't work hard enough. He did not put in a great deal of time and effort when he was a player, and now he has a limited responsibility gig. He likes enjoying himself and the good life, I think he would be a disaster as a manager.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Wanna care to elaborate, since I've never heard such stories?

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Ausmus, the Ivy league grad who spent nearly 2 decades catching in the majors is lazy? A player who has been praised by people in baseball consistently as one of its brighter players. The 48th round pick.

You mean after 20+ years of life on the road, he took a job back home where he could relax, and spend more time with his family? Don't get any lazier than that. Just like that asswipe Bagwell.

11. juicystream

He's mad because Brad wasn't on the roids with everyone else.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets look again at the timeline a bit. Next year and the year after should only net small improvements, meaning 95-105 losses. Year 3 may see a club that can play .450 ball consistently (90 losses). Year 4 and 5 from now, may hold some promise, although even here breaking .500 for the year maybe optimistic.

So my point becomes, anyone interested in taking the job right now must know winning isnt in the picture for 3+ years. What are the chances the braintrust will see it fitting to replace the manager yet again within those 3+ years? Pretty good I think.

So it comes down to this. You want the Astros job. Here is what you get. 2-3 years of losing plus getting fired before the team is good again. It could even happen you get canned right before they are good. Wouldnt that suck?

I wouldnt know if Ausmus is lazy or not, but you got to wonder what reasons someone would want the job in these circumstances. Manager experience? OK. Like the town? OK Like the players? OK But longevity or winning? Very much in doubt.

1 person likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good points. I was going to ask similar about a point you made--is this next manager the guy for the turn-around or are we looking at this manager plus one more before they turn it around/they're decent/they're mediocre/they aren't losing 90+ games/etc. You get the point. :)

Ausmus? Mehh. He'll be fired in 3-4 years. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, coaches/managers are hired to be fired, blah blah blah :p)

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

When it comes to rebuilds, things usually take longer than you think. I we think the Astros might be good in 4-5, then it could well be longer.

Manager longevity is less about W/L and more about whether the club under their direction surpasses or falls short of expectations. Given Cranes is already showing some mild signs of feeling expectations are not being met (MM attendance, Brad firing), then to me, this shows his expectations are pretty high. In the grander picture, and optimistic owner with high expectations is a good thing. He is not likely to rest, get lazy or lameduckish. But for a manager, an owner with high expectations equates to a pink slip earlier than you deserve it.

15. juicystream

To be the guy that helps turn it around. Definitely need to like teaching.

16. xktf

xktf Member

finally

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is one potential rabbitt in the hat for someone coming in. Maybe two.

1) In the 18-24 month time frame, a couple guys could tear through the minors and impact at the ML level. This isnt expected really, but that could make the incumbent manager look good. Perhaps enough to get you an extension.

2) Luhnow's sell statis at some point will turn into a buying one (or trading FOR vets rather than trading them away). If he continues to outmaneuver other clubs in trades and signings, this too could be a boon for mr. incumbent.

If both of these were to happen in a faster than we expect time frame, our 2013 manager could just ride the wave long enough to returns. All he really has to do is earn the designation of "He is doing as good a job as ANYONE could do at this point". Mills did just enough questionable things, and add to that unfortunate timing, so that he really had no chance to ever see the daylight of this club contending or being perceived as someone who couldnt be improved upon.

18. msn

msn Member

Ausmus was consistently praised for studying the hitters and being a veritable encyclopaedia of hitters' tendencies in the batter's box. Ausmus also was among the best in both leagues defensively, even when his aging arm went noodle on him, due to outstanding footwork and technique behind the plate.

That don't come by bein' lazy.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I worked for the Astros during the second tour of duty for Ausmus and he often missed practice and while he arrived on time, he seldom put in extra work. He was well liked, but there were folks that were within the organization that felt he coasted.

I have nothing against Brad. For what it is worth, there were similar things said about Shane. Just passing on my recollection.

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Well perhaps if Crane thinks firing Mills will spark attendance than maybe he will think the same about bringing in free agents?