1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Depreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jopatmc, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

McLane needs to go away.........now. This franchise is becoming the National League version of the Kansas City Royals. Stadium 10 years old and now the franchise going the way of Enron.

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Pirates say Hello there ! ;)

3. Mailman

Mailman Member

Speaking for myself as a diehard Houston Rockets/Astros/Texans fan, you are not fit to call yourself a fan of the local nine.

Drayton McLane is by far the best owner the Houston Astros have ever had. My suggestion for the sand in your itchy vagina is this-- gtfo and don't come back when winning time hits MMPUS again. You are an embarrassment to true Stros fans everywhere.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Wow, you apparently have never been through a rebuilding process. I don't agree with everything they do by any means but Drayton just paid 11 million dollars to get prospects that may help the club. Take a step back and see all the positive moves they have made in their recent drafts and international signings before killing them like this.

5. DontTradeOswalt

This club will compete next year....write it down, we are not the Pirates. McLane wants to win and won't go 5 years trying to rebuild

6. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I'm a pretty optimistic guy and I don't think the rebuilding is going to be as long as some people think, but I just can't see this team competing next year. I give it 3 years before they start contending in the division again.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Houston4Cuban.com?

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

um, les alexander? c'mon man.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

He said, "best owner the Houston Astros have ever had...".

10. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Dude seeing how weak our division is. I wouldnt doubt we can make a push for the playoffs in two to three years.

We dont have that bad of young players either. We should build around Bourne and Pence.

Only problem is is that we dont have an ace anymore. Hopefully Berkman will turn out for someone good.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    ;)

I would go as far to say that Bob McNair is the best owner of a HOUSTON franchise.

1 person likes this.
  12. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I think we can be competitive in our division in three years but it will be hard to win it. The Cardinals are still going to be good for a few years, although it should be interesting to see if they can afford to keep Pujols, Carpenter, and Wainwright together in a few years. The Reds have a lot of good young talent, so they should be a player in the division for awhile.

13. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

LOL!!

14. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

HAHAH someone's ass GOT TOLD! LOL GET EM!

15. DontTradeOswalt

The team has money to spend this offseason if Berkmans option is declined, if they can sign a pitcher like Javier Vazquez or Brandon Webb for 4-6 mil the team can be pretty good, Jose Reyes is also a free agent....do I think the Astros will sign anyone big this off-season? No, but I can hope right?

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just because the Astros owners before him were trash doesn't absolve Drayton McLane at all. He's got Al Davis' meddling incompetency mixed with Donald Sterling's surreptitious priority #1 (the profit margin). The product is another piece of dirt owner that cannot even be mentioned in the same breath as Bob McNair and Les Alexander, as an effective owner and as a human being.

Houston fans deserve better than him and the endless assembly line of Yes-men that run his franchise. You want to keep buying his broken product, fine--but don't criticize fans as being "fake" if they choose not to believe the company line. Or maybe you have a vested interest in drumming up support for this behind-the-times regime?

2 people like this.
  17. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

That's what helped get us into the hole we are in right now, signing/aquiring people with massive contracts (Carlos Lee, taking on Tejada's salary). If we are truly going into a rebuilding mode, it wouldn't be smart to sign anyone to a fat contract unless they are a stud in their early 20's. The key is to create a core of players that can all peak and play around the same time.

18. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Lets not hit the panick button so fast. Remember that with no lux tax, you can take a few years to rebuild, see who's working and who's not, then dish out the money to fill in those holes. It takes a little patience and then money as long as the no lux tax rule is around.

Getting JA Happ who could possibly turn out to be a good 4th, maybe better since he's still in the season of coming off surgery! Wallace looks to be Berkman's temp for now. What if he learns some defense? Cause he looks good on hitting since I just started looking at his stats today. If he's not a long term solution, look at FA. Villar is gonna try to take Manzella's job. I don't see much of starting hope for him but I've heard he could be an Adam Everett clone with a better bat, sounds good to me. I hope to see Angel, Tommy and Villar all playing their butts off now. This was not a bad trade, way better than getting nothing for him or keeping him here and he's unhappy.

c- Castro/Quintero(30)
    cf- Bourne
    rf- Pence
    1b- Wallace
    2b- Keppinger(30)
    ss- Sanches/Manzella/Hernandez/Villar/Navarro
    3b- Johnson
    of- Bourgeois
    p- Myers(29), Rodriguez(31),Wright, Norris, Sampson

Good start for rebuilding, I was surprised Myers was only 29 and Quintero is 30. Didn't think Wandy was 31 either. I'm happy, lets keep Myers. See what we can get for Berkman and/or Lee now

19. Mailman

Mailman Member

What a load of crap. The Astros have been competitive throughout McLane's ownership but have only recently fallen on bad times as the core group grows older and there's nobody in the minors ready to pick up the slack. I understand it's conventional wisdom that somehow Drayton McLane is to blame (primarily because of the silly ranting of mediots like Dickie Justice and past race-baiter Jorge De las Jesus Ortiz), but this is simply wrong. The Astros are in a down cycle right now, something that happens to almost every franchise. It's natural.

I find the Drayton McLane hate to be pathological and devoid of any iota of thought and I suspect a lot of it originates from a younger fanbase that doesn't remember past ownership or past crappy teams. Frankly, you are spoiled little brats banging your fists on the desk. Grow up.

1 person likes this.
  20. Mailman

Mailman Member

Thank you for proving my point. You are a jackass.

Drayton McLane is a billionaire and someone I probably wouldn't agree with politically, but I would never stoop so low as to attack his humanity. You don't even know him, but because you think the Astros suck, you're completely comfortable saying he's a ****ty person.

No wonder he's considered selling the team. With fans like you.....