1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.com] Huff likes being a Stro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by wrath_of_khan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Member

Hey, at least one guy is happy after the trading deadline! ;)

Seriously, read this piece by Huff and tell me we don't have a great chance to re-sign him:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1587441&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Huff: Playing for a contender
    08/01/2006 10:39 AM ET
    MLBPLAYERS.com

The difference is like night and day, going from Tampa Bay to Houston. Being in contention is something I've never done before. We've still got a long way to go this season, and this club has the talent to make a run at the postseason again. My job is to help make that happen.

Personally, it's still going to take some time to adjust to the National League, getting around and seeing teams and players for the first time. Hopefully, I'll be able to adjust very quickly.

I've been playing third, but with Morgan Ensberg coming back, I can adapt. I've played first, third, right field and left field my whole career. My thing is versatility. Whatever gets me in the lineup, I'll do. And that's probably one of the reasons the Astros acquired me. As long as I'm in the lineup, I'll play wherever.

One thing I've noticed in the few weeks I've been here is the great sense of professionalism in the clubhouse. I'd been on such young teams my whole career that I'd forgotten how older teams operate.

You see how Hall of Fame guys act around here -- Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio and Andy Pettitte. I just haven't been around presences like that in the clubhouse before. They definitely have a different presence.

I liked the relative anonymity of playing in Tampa Bay in some respects. You could put up your numbers and nobody knew about it. You can walk around the mall and nobody messes with you. I liked that kind of stuff because I don't need a lot of attention.

But the flip side is that you're not winning when that happens. You'd rather win. This is a good situation here for me. I'm from Texas and you couldn't ask for a better deal for me.

The situation in Tampa Bay was changing for the better, but probably not quickly enough for me to be a part of it.

If we hadn't changed ownership, I don't think I could've handled it for one more year, at least as long as I did. The Devil Rays' new owner, Stu Sternberg, and team president, Matt Silverman, were doing a lot to turn things around. That made it a lot easier to be in the clubhouse every day. Joe Maddon came in as the manager and he was really positive, helping our young guys a lot.

Ultimately, however, the situation called for me to move on. I wasn't in their plans. Apparently, I was too old for that team at 29. It was time to move on.

I didn't think Houston was one of the teams in the running for me, though. I had heard numerous rumors, and coming to Houston wasn't one of them. This was kind of out of left field. But when I heard about it, I couldn't have been more excited.

Aubrey Huff, 29, played for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for parts of seven seasons before being traded to the Houston Astros on July 12. Huff, a left-handed hitter with power, is batting .271 with nine homers and 32 RBIs this season.

2. weslinder

weslinder Member

Really now, Aubrey? Andy Pettitte a Hall of Famer?

3. The Real Shady

Well, Huff better pick it up if he wants to stay around.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

compared to who he played with??? absolutely! :D

did you know pettite has the highest second-half winning percentage of any pitcher in MLB history???

5. macalu

macalu Member

the way he is hitting (or should i say not hitting), i almost rather have Preston Wilson in the line-up...almost.

6. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

I think you have to give the guy some time to adjust to completely new league. That being said he really sucks right now. If he improves during these last couple of months I wouldn't mind re-signing him during the offseason if we can get a little home town discount.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

In my typical glass half-full way, the good thing about him playing terrible is that he won't play himself into a huge contract. :)

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think Andy's a HoF'er based on his stats compared to other lefties... and on his insane postseason success

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

that's the spirit!

10. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

Well Duh!

You dont have to suck every year with Tampa. You actually have a chance to win!

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Member

Am I the only one who thinks of this:
    [​IMG]

When I see this:
    [​IMG]

?

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude looks like a 15 year younger version of my father in-law. It's uncanny.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I was thinking the same thing...Clemens and Biggio for sure...