1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Catcher situation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vince, Jan 24, 2023.

1. vince

vince Member

I am actually excited and hesitant about the Astros catcher situation. If Korey Lee can learn under Martin Maldonado, he’d be ideal to become the main catcher of the future. He supposed to be a high quality catcher with some pop in his bat. If he can learn to call a game with such skill like Maldonado, it’s going to be pretty awesome.

And that leaves Diaz to be the catcher 1B. Where Diaz could get some at bats at 1st base, DH, pitch hitter, etc.

Of course getting a good catcher is quite a difficult task, and to be able to get 2 young catchers is like catching lightning in a bottle. But I am very pleased with the possibility of having talented prospects that are nearing the ML level.

And if Lee and Diaz both falter, the Astros will need to open up the wallet to bring in a quality catcher. But if either/ or both of those guys catch on, that leaves money to address other needs!

kdchilds likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

I was excited at the prospect of Diaz at Catcher. I'm not very excited about Diaz as a utility man.

vince likes this.
  3. Trader_Jorge

Trader_Jorge King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking

The value of a good defensive catcher is rising, as stolen bases are expected to skyrocket with the implementation of the pitch clock and the larger bases.

raining threes and ImMikeV like this.
  4. ImMikeV

ImMikeV Member

Not to mention the limitation of pickoff attempts.

5. vince

vince Member

I agree with you. I am very excited about Diaz as an everyday player too. I think he has a good opportunity to be a starting catcher in the league. But I think he can also step in at 1st base when Abreu finishes his 2 year contract; much like Biggio moved from catcher to 2nd base. For Korey Lee it’s catcher or bust, nevertheless for Diaz he can play and excel at 1st base or catcher.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Diaz has the bat talent to become an all star in this league but it is limited by his speed and lack of walks.

As a catcher, he could compile the best hitting stats in team history over 6 controllable seasons.

As a 1B or DH he could be the league's best #7 or 8 hitter but not a star.

He is a very useful guy to deepen a lineup but his minor league performance so far is that of a guy who walks far less with a much lower extra base hit percentage than recent Astro star prospects like Alvarez and Tucker, even if he Ks less as well.

Tomstro, No Worries and vince like this.