1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yea... now THAT is a trade that can make a team totally regrettful (not John Buck for Beltran... referencing another thread).

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

sCrUBS win 3-2

3. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

****ing ESPN, this is what I saw when I was checking the score: Cards 8, Houston 7 :mad:

[​IMG]

4. synergy

synergy Member

Yea, look at ESPN now. THey list the live score as 10-7 Astros losing. WTF, they show the Cards continuing to bat even after they took the lead in the 9th. Bunch of **** ups.

Thank god I already know the score, otherwise I would have personally gone down there and wrung Oliver's neck.

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I was at work and ESPN f'ed with me pretty good. Even MLB.com had the Cards with 6 runs and still batting. The chronicle finally put me at ease.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just gimme one more in St. Louis, and I'll be happy.

Go Astros!!

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Last night we listening to the game, the Astros just went up 7-1. As we were getting out of the van and going into Walmart, I said " I bet when we get back out here the score will be 7-7 knowing these guys." We got home to watch the 8th and 9th inning and sure enough, it almost came true. There is a good reason why the Cards are the best team in baseball.

8. spence99

spence99 Member

Why did they take Clemens out after the 7th? He was cruising and had only thrown 92 pitches. I know we were ahead 7-1, but with our bullpen, no lead is safe.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He is a 42 year old man... and when you're ahead by 5 or more runs in the late innings, even the worst of bullpens should hold that lead (as we did last night).

If the game was 2-1, 3-1... or maybe even 4-1, Clemens probably stays in. But, remember two starts ago against Pittsburgh, when Clemens was cruising into the 7th, and gave up 6 runs because he ran out of gas... you DON'T want that to happen again.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

just ask Grady in Sawx land. :)

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Haha... a buddy of mind who's a huge sox fan was just saying that had Jimy been managing that game, they might have actually beaten the Yankees.

No way "1-M" lets Pedro pitch that long...

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

great win by the good guys. I am loving this. Their bats were amazing last night. Hit after hit after hit.

Thank goodness for the error by Pujols, or I would have been pissed if we lost that game with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.

It seems that Garner got really pissed off at Lamb last night after the collision with burke(?). Ensberg was immediatly put in. oh well...at least we won.

Now we must win tonights! Go Astros!

13. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

It was a double switch. the collision was with Bruntlett and I pretty well think he was to blame. Lamb was under it calling for it. Bruntlett at the last second runs up and hits Lamb. It didn't look too much like he called him off until right at the last second. Lamb did not move until Bruntlett ran into him. The collision came as bruntlett ran up and hit Lamb (who was still calling the ball). Lamb didn't really break off until Bruntlett ran into him. When Lamb moved away he got his feet tied up with Bruntlett and Bruntlett fell. As i said after it happened last night. It Bruntlett needs to realize that Lamb ha dthe ball. He was set under it and waving he had it. Bruntlett should have just moved back and let Lamb take control and end the game.

14. Uprising

oh, it was a double switch? I missed that. I do recall seeing Lamb under the ball ready to catch it and then was called off by Bruntlett in the last couple of seconds and then he realized he was coming and moved. I think Lamb thought he was going to be nailed by Bruntlett.

Anyways, it did end up working out for us since Lidge was able to seal the deal.

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Garner brought Lidge and Ensberg in at the same time.

16. Uprising

OHHHH.....I thought you meant he took out bruntlett.

Well, it doesn't matter too much to me since we ended up winning. BUt it could have gotten real bad last night. I began to get a little gittery late in the 9th.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If anything, the close game last night keeps the team even more focused for tonight, and doesn't leave any room for "relaxing" or "let down" because they just blew out the best team in baseball.

Not that this team would "relax" after a blow-out win, but they have been fairly bipolar this entire year... and as good as they can play one game, you could... in essense... expect the exact opposite the next game.

Thus, since they played both great, and poorly, last night... the opposite would be exactly the same.

"If every instinct you had was wrong... then the opposite would have to be right."

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Has anyone seen the Cubs remaining schedule? They have a doubleheader with Florida and host Atlanta the last 3 games. The rest of their games are against scrub teams Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and the NY Mets. I know they still have to play decent baseball but, damn, that sucks. I guess we hope they majorly underperform from here on out.

They have also probably already won today's game in the 1st inning as they scored four runs on a slew of homers and they have Mark Prior pitching. !@#$

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/n...915&content_id=859089&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Looks like A.J. Burnett, one of only two current starters in the MLB to have been clocked at 100mph (Bartolo Colon), is going to miss his next start due to inflammation in his right elbow. His return is uncertain. Tough luck for the Marlins who I picked as the favorite, but hell, no sympathy from me, we're going out there without Miller and Pettite.

4-2 Cubs.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Freaking awesome...Although, could have done without the almost 9th innning collapse...

Anyway, it was here in Dallas, so lets hope another game will come on tonight...