1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros and Angels make final offers on Tejada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rcoleman15, Jul 29, 2006.

1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Well, I do not think he fits our culture. Biggio and Bagwell helped set a standard here.(Team first, hustle, get dirty...) I think Tejada is a stat first kind of player. Secondly, I am afraid that he will be linked to Grimsley. If rumors are true, there are 6 or 7 players Grimsley fingered from the Orioles. (Way too risky for me.). I don't mind giving up Lidge, Lane (or Taveras) and Everett but I do not want to trade any of the studs we have in our farm system and especially not for Tejada.

I think we are out of the playoff race. I think we should prepare for next year. Bring up Pence, Hirsh, Nieve and make sure Patton is in Round Rock before the end of the season. Trade Wilson, Everett, Huff (or Ensberg), Wandy and Lidge for key pieces next year. Get a deal done with Pettitte because Clemens is too darn good to retire and I think we have a better chance to bring Clemens back if Pettitte is back also. Clemens will be back again if we have a championship caliber offense next season (I think).

This offense needs changes and I think we can be true contenders next year. I do not believe any major league team can expect to win a championship with Everett and Ausmus in the everyday lineup. We need speed and power. We need left-handed sticks. We know Berkman and Biggio will be back next year. I would keep Huff instead of Ensberg. Lets put the pieces together as soon as we can. Let the team build the chemistry prior to the start of next year.

2. Major

Major Member

That's strange that he had so few the last two years - it seemed he was talked about fairly highly over that period. Odd.

One thing Lugo brings is that he would give us a good top of the order guy with speed for Berkman, but he's not the middle-of-the-order hitter that Tejada would provide. But he would also cost a whole hell of a lot less.

3. Major

Major Member

I can't speak for what he is now, but until recently he was considering the total leadership guy - played hard every day, no excuses, was a strong presence in the clubhouse, etc. Very similar to the Bagwell mold. That may have changed over the last two or two with all the steroid rumors and such though.

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Maybe he is not happy in Baltimore. I've been watching the Baltimore games frequently and he just doesn't look like he is giving it his all. Totally different from his days in Oakland.

5. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Member
    Supporting Member

Whats up with Lugo anyway ? When he was an Astro..he was okay at best average and NO POWER !!!!! Now hes bigger and stronger and hitting for power....ROIDS...Thats what I see in Lugo. Now if we can trade Everette straight up for Lugo then HELL YAH !!!! but thats not going to happen..I say we trade the whole team for either Tejada or Soriano...Those are the only guys at this point that can help us this year. If we can't get them then we need to tank fast and bring up the farm system...TEJADA !!!! SORIANO..Or BUST !!!!

6. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Member

Here is the new Stark Market Report for Tejada.
    Link:
    ttp://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2522380

2 Miguel Tejada, Orioles SS 1

Miguel TejadaMARKET REPORT
    It's been a strange 24 hours on the Tejada front. There were rumblings throughout the day Saturday that Orioles owner Peter Angelos had blown up a deal late Friday that would have made Tejada an Astro. Another source denies that, however, saying there "wasn't any deal on the table" Friday night for Angelos to disintegrate. But the perpetual lack of communication among the various factions of the Baltimore front office can often confuse teams when they're dealing with the Orioles. And this looks like Chapter 893 in that saga. All we know is that the Astros were back on the Tejada trail Saturday. And one club that spoke with the Orioles reported that it had been led to believe the Astros were in the lead in this derby -- with a package that was said to include some very recognizable names off the big-league roster. (No, not Roger Clemens.) If that's true, though, it apparently was news to the Astros, because other clubs that checked in with them Saturday reported they were pessimistic they could make any significant deal, so they were turning their attention to lesser names (such as Philadelphia's David Dellucci).

One team that clearly backed off on Tejada on Saturday was the Angels, who could not have been too thrilled that their offer of Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar was rejected Friday. The Orioles told them it would take a package of either three or four players to get Tejada, and the Angels said, "No thanks."

But that bar was seemingly set by Texas, which was believed to have made a four-headed proposal centered around Hank Blalock. The Orioles were said to be unhappy with the pitching coming back in that offer, however.

The fourth team in the mix Saturday was the Dodgers. But one baseball man who talked to them Saturday night described them as "discouraged" by the Orioles' quick rejection of an all-prospect package.

Still, there's enough action that all signs would normally seem to point toward Tejada getting dealt in the next couple of days -- except that The Angelos Factor is still out there. Even the teams doing the bidding have been given no assurance that Angelos wants to trade Tejada at all. So no matter what the offers look like, this game won't be official until the owner points his thumb north or south.

7. today

today Member

Thanks rcoleman...

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Strictly based on their skills alone, who would you rather have, Lugo or Everett?

9. msn

msn Member

I know you didn't ask me, but when Lugo was here his bat wasn't good enough to outweigh what the Astros would surrender in defense. (Despite the costly '01 playoff errors, I do *not* believe as some do that Lugo is a big defensive hack. That said, he is no Adam Everett, either.)

Now, if his bat has really improved the way I've heard, that's another question (but I haven't seen him play).

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

my memories of lugo involve not being able to make routine plays and playing a major role in costing us a playoff series.

my memories of AE involve turning ridiculous double plays to go up 3-1 on the Cardinals.

11. sammy

sammy Member

What about the fact that he rarely gets the run in from third when there is less than two outs. Lugo > Everett - big time

12. Zac D

Zac D Member

Who on this team does? Given that, why's Everett the one to pick on?

13. Zac D

Zac D Member

Case in, once again, point.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

This is my favorite moment of Everett:
    [​IMG]

15. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

on astros fsn postgame granato confirmed that purpura thought he had a deal with Baltimore for 2 hours, before it was nixed. Also confirmed that the Rangers offered Blalock for Lidge, Rangers scouts were at the Astros offices today. Said that purpura will probably have something done before tommorow.

16. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Member

Supposedly they are discussing tejada for oswalt deal? I doubt this big time.

In a potential blockbuster deal, the Orioles have discussed sending All-Star shortstop Miguel Tejada to Houston for a package that would include Astros ace Roy Oswalt.

Several industry sources confirmed the Orioles and Astros are negotiating dealing Tejada for third baseman Morgan Ensberg, shortstop Adam Everett and Oswalt, 28, who has already won 91 major-league games.

At this point, the Orioles are not inclined to make the deal barring changes, said several club sources. The Orioles' main concern is that they'd only have Oswalt, who will be a free agent after the 2007 season, for one season and then he'd sign a lucrative offer elsewhere.

Less than 24 hours before the trade deadline, two high-ranking Orioles officials said that they still expect the deadline to pass without Tejada being traded. If a deal is made, one of the officials said, it likely will "go down to the wire."

Publicly, Orioles officials are not offering comment on individual trade scenarios. Astros general manager Tim Purpura also refused to discuss trade proposal specifics Sunday, but said, "We are being aggressive for any impact hitter. At this time we are trying to acquire an impact hitter." He would not comment further.

Orioles assistant general manager John Stockstill, who is charge of professional scouting, recently spent 10 days scouting the Los Angeles Angels and much of the past week in Houston watching the Astros. In his most recent start Saturday, Oswalt (8-7, 3.23 ERA) allowed just one run and struck out eight batters in eight innings as the Astros beat the Diamondbacks 4-1.

Several sources said the Astros are now considered the leader of a potential three-team sweepstakes for Tejada, which also includes the Texas Rangers and Angels. The Los Angeles Dodgers also remain in the picture, but their interest is not as strong as the other three teams. The Rangers offer, which is centered around former All-Star third baseman Hank Blalock and top pitching prospect John Danks, falls short for the Orioles because it does not include quality, established pitching.

According to one high-ranking club official, the Orioles still feel that a deal with the Angels "makes the most sense." The Angels have offered young right-hander Ervin Santana as well as shortstop prospect Erick Aybar for Tejada. But the Orioles would like more - perhaps first baseman Casey Kotchman or Single-A pitcher Nick Adenhart--to sweeten the deal, one club source said.

One Angels official told the Los Angeles Times that the club was disturbed by Tejada's comments Saturday that he would not be willing to move from shortstop to third base if traded. The Angels current shortstop, Orlando Cabrera, reportedly has said he would make the switch to third to accommodate Tejada, but several scouts consider Cabrera the superior defensive shortstop.

Tejada took an even stronger stance Sunday, saying, "I am playing short. I want to play short. If I am going to be a winner, I am going to be a winner at my position. Right now, I am happy playing shortstop here. If I am going to win, I am going to win playing shortstop somewhere."

Tejada was 1-for-4 with two RBIs in the Orioles' 8-7 comeback win over the White Sox Sunday afternoon. After leading the charge out of the Orioles dugout following Javy Lopez's game-winning hit off Chicago closer Bobby Jenks, Tejada said that he didn't think he played his last game in an Orioles' uniform.

"I don't think about it that way," said Tejada. "I don't think this is going to be my last game. It was just another day here, now I am going home and I'll come back tomorrow."

Before Saturday's game, Tejada said, "I am not trying to leave here. They're trying to make me leave. It's the team, not me. I don't have control of that. The manager and I don't know who, they want to take me out of here."

Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo said that he spoke to Tejada following Saturday's game to clear the air and said that they are on the same page. Several Orioles said that they didn't want the shortstop, who remains a popular teammate, to get traded.

"You're talking about our team leader and a top-five player in the game," said designated hitter Jay Gibbons. "It's hard to swallow losing him so hopefully nothing happens. Everybody loves Miggy. He's a great guy and he hits .330 every year and drives in 100. It's hard to replace that bat. But Miggy knows this is a business too, and I'm sure there's pretty much the whole league after him. It's just one of those things where you've got a prize commodity and you never know. Somebody might make an offer that we can't refuse."

When the Astros and Orioles discussed a potential Tejada deal last winter following the shortstop's public demand for a trade, Houston officials refused to offer Oswalt. But he is more available now simply because he's one season closer to free agency and the Astros' offense is woefully inadequate. Houston is last in the National League in batting average and in the bottom third in the league in homers, RBIs, runs scored and on-base percentage.

Oswalt, who is making $11 million in 2006, has one year left in arbitration and could command around $15 million next season. He then is eligible for free agency, something industry insiders expect him to test.

In contrast, Tejada is signed through 2009 at an average of about $12.7 million per season. Ensberg, who probably would be moved to first base if he joined the Orioles, and the slick-fielder Everett, won't become free agents until after 2008.

Orioles' officials insist that they are not actively shopping Tejada, who leads the club in average, home runs and RBIs.

"We don't have to deal him," said Orioles Executive Vice President Mike Flanagan. "We've always kept our position that he is a terrific player that we want to build around. That hasn't changed. But our job is to listen to offers. We're doing what we're supposed to do."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...?coll=bal-sports-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

17. Nick

Nick Member

That would be stupid... even if we had a functional bullpen, and Tejada came here and had the best 2 months of a season for any player in the history of the game... they wouldn't be able to overcome Oswalt's departure.

Also, these "industry insiders" that predict that Oswalt will leave the Astros are the same ones who questioned their ability to re-sign Berkman to an extension, and get Clemens to come out of retirement... ie - don't believe it.

The Astros have the money to re-sign Oswalt, and he's definitely proven to be worth it... what with the history of ZERO arm trouble and all (see AJ Burnett).

18. Xenon

Xenon Member

Yeah that would be a disaster. Please don't screw up 2007 Purpura.

19. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Member

The astros would be fools if they offered up Oswalt. The O's are just as foolish if that was offered, and they have not already accepted it.

20. studogg

studogg Member

that is the biggest load of bs i've ever read.

Oswalt is going nowhere.