1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Will Smith (the baseball player)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Aug 1, 2022.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

Let’s see what the coaches/scouts see in Smith, maybe he’s a couple of adjustments away from regaining his form. Ultimately, I’m happy I won’t have to tune in for another Odo start.

everyday eddie, Rock Block and YOLO like this.
  2. Screaming Fist

Oh God I hope this doesn’t mean Dusty throws Smith out there against every tough LHB.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It does

4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I didn't hate Odorizzi this season as much as I did last season but I will never stop hating his contract.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Odorizzi's contract is extremely team friendly. Not sure what you are talking about. Will Smith's isn't though.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Is Smith any better than Blake Taylor? If not, why not wait for Taylor to be healthy. Or they assume Taylor will be done for the season?

7. STR8Thugg

Just be ready to watch Will Smith go against lefties. Again, and again, and again. Doesn't matter if the lefty crushes lefties. He's gonna be in there.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

Yes.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Odorizzi was good and bad, but just didn't seem to fit. Very unpopular with the fans.

10. JazzLakerHater

Tbh, I liked Odorizzi for what he was: a regular season innings eater who probably would not sniff a post season roster. I don’t hate this move, but it’s just meh.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. CinematicFusion

Agree, now that Jake is gone I don’t see them moving other starters for a center fielder.

Be very surprised if they moved Urquidy, I guess Brown would become the 6th starter then.

We need CF help

12. Buck Turgidson

General comment: the average fan is an idiot, so I doubt the Stros are taking many cues from them.

jiggyfly, msn, raining threes and 5 others like this.
  13. Nero

Nero Member

JO was not going to even be on any of the post season rosters, so keeping him was pointless.

I always hope every guy on all of our teams preforms great, but that just was not the case with Jake. He was at best wildly inconsistent, and that is not what we need to be throwing out there every fifth game or so.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Maybe Will Smith the actor would be good too. We know he can throw a STRIKE on the big STAGE and win too.

15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

No fans, no baseball. Corporations don't pay millions for ads that nobody is watching. If nobody viewed the games electronically or in the stands, no baseball.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

It’s just hard to imagine that a SP having a good year couldn’t be packaged for a better return. Right?

PuzzledFan likes this.
  18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Didn't look up the numbers but smith will cost the Astros a little under $4m for the next 3 months. Next year is a team option and I would not expect it to be exercised. Odo would have been home watching the play-offs on TV. After His next game his contract awards him additional money and it would have cost more than that just to get him to leave.

#58 BlindHog, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Rock Block likes this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

This may be wishful thinking on my part but this (hopefully) smells a lot like Astros coaching staff seeing what adjustment he needs to make to get back to being good. Lots of pitchers have come to the Astros being less than impressive and have become sig better.

everyday eddie and PuzzledFan like this.
  20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

******** on Odorizzi is like ******** on a good 3rd string center. Dude was unquestionably the best 6th/7th starter in baseball and people still b****ed about it. Had a bit of an attitude problem but he was very good for what he was. I think he probably wanted to have a bigger role somewhere else, which is fine.

STR8Thugg likes this.