1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Ken Giles

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 9, 2015.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why are some of you showing hesitation or pause because of the addition of Eshelman? The only thing he brought to the table was a crazy K:BB ratio...but then he gets to the minors and he doesnt even have that going for him. The guy can be good, Im not writing him off, but he's nowhere near being able to help this team.

Also, this team needs to get rid of it's surplus of minor league prospects because it will be impossible to play all of them. We need actual major league talent because we are now at the point where any season is a possible championship season.

Im excited about the possibilities of Ferrell setting up Giles.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Eshelman is the Nolan Fontana of pitchers.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think anybody is saying the addition of Eshelmen suddenly makes this a bad trade. But he was one of our better prospects, and most of us thought the 4th player would just be another guy.

Therefore the trade isn't as great as it was, but it's still a good trade.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thats what everyone says about Keuchel.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Astros paid a lot for certainty and now at a position of need for a cheap cost controlled player. It makes the Astros better so they should be happy. Phillies should be too as they have a good chance to get more raw production out of deal, but take a lot of risk. Reminds me of the Cosart deal except the Astros future looks a lot better than the Marlins future did at the time.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nolan is the next Marwin.

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And the other 99% of pitchers with a similar make-up who peak as number 5 starters.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would be very happy with this.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astros willingness to include Eshelman makes me wonder if they saw something this year that gave them reason to believe that his stuff might not translate well to the majors. Remember Kirk Saarloos?

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

(slight diversion)

In looking up the box score for Kirk Saarloos's most important game (1.1 innings in the 6 pitcher no-hitter), I noticed something I had forgotten - Dotel had 4 k's that game in his one inning of work.

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Eshelman gave up 18 walks in 376 collegiate innings. He gave up 5 walks in 10 minor league innings last year.

I bet that raised some eyebrows, considering it is his most important skill.

12. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I remember. That's probably even more rare an occurrence than a 6 pitcher no-hitter.

13. Major

Major Member

I would hope they would not make any judgements at all about a player based on their first 10 innings.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Considering they shut him down for a month and a half, I don't think his results from last season mean much of anything. After that much time off most people wouldn't be sharp.

They were just getting him a little work, they weren't even full starts. He doesn't really need to prove himself in the low minors.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This is where I'm at. I still love the trade. But now it feels like a realistic haul, and a fair one. It's not that I don't want to give up Eshelman or Fisher specifically, but putting those 4 guys together is just a lot of prospect value that could have been dealt in other deals ideally. So yeah, it stings.

But I'm all in on Giles. Love it so much

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nice stat

I never want to see Tucker play OF again

Lidge was throwing 99-100 with the big league club? I don't recall that. He could be argued as Astros greatest closer, as Wagner was not reliable in the playoffs.

17. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yeah, but didn't Wagner do it for a lot longer than Lidge did?

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

not even close.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Wagner easily had the better career, Lidge was only a great closer for 1 1/2 seasons before he became an unreliable basket case.

Wagner did suck in the playoffs, but he only appeared in 5 games, we didn't have many leads in his postseasons. I'm not gonna allow such a small sample override the much larger stretch of reliability he had over Lidge.

20. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

You're right. Not sure what I was thinking. There have only been two 6-pitcher no-hitters in history. Four strikeouts in one inning has happened like 75 times.