1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Ken Giles

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 9, 2015.

1. conquistador#11

too early to give up on appel. it could be he is a late bloomer. But if the deathstar believes giles can be the next billy the kid or lidge then you have to pull the execute hatch.

If anything it shows you, they're still pissed at that royals game 4, so am I.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jonathan Arauz was ranked by Baseball America as the #20 prospect in the GCL this past season.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Luhnow:&quot;We consider Vince Velasquez &amp; Mark Appel 2Major League-ready arms.In order 2get this deal done we had 2incl both those players&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/675743467058827264">December 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm thinking this may be a sign that adding a SP of some significance may be imminent. If so it may make getting Appel inning difficult, plus we have Feliz who has comparable prospect status, and better results.

With Rasmus and Gomez bot FA, and no significant OF prospects, OF may be the position of bigger concern long term. Fisher probably is probably held in a similar regard prospect wise as Appel, so swapping them out isn't a huge deal with the inclusion of Arauz who is a bit of a lottery ticket.

If Appel figures it out though, this could hurt, big risk.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol. nice.

i guess with VV, Appel, and Obie gone, there's now a 100% chance that another starter is added in the offseason, Kaz or otherwise. and probably another depth add on top of that.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, safe to say the Appel pick wasn't what they hoped it would be...and between him and Aiken, they ended up not being able to turn the sucking years into an expected projectable future ace.

Ah well, Keuchel coming out of nowhere to be just that certainly makes up for a lot. And Giles still will be under control long enough to have a chance to make a sizable impact that outweighs what they may have gotten from Appel.

Would have liked to see what Appel could have done in the bullpen as well though.

7. vince

vince Member

Hate the trade now

Horrible horrible use of the chips. Horrible horrible!!!!!

What the heck just happened???? So we went through a 100 + loss season for crap ... Sheer incompetence.

8. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Apple is a bum. Good trade.

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Swapping Appel for Fisher makes this a bad trade now? What is wrong with some of yall? I hoped Appel would eventually be an elite set up man, maybe a closer, but I trust Luhnow.

Although I did want Bryant over Appel that night, but you can't win them all.

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Astros basically gave up three starting pitchers that could all be In the Phillies rotation this year for a bullpen arm that "might" close or set up. ??? I'm not getting the math here. At a minimu one would think a trade with Appel as the center piece would've netted us a bigger name. Not liking this at all

11. Marteen

Marteen Member

These are the Phillies we are talking about, though. How often do number 1 picks pan out other than Correa?

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm going to hold off on the hate until I see the subsequent FA moves that have to occur.

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Why am I having flashbacks of the Ed Wade era? These Phillies transactions never seem to go our way

14. vince

vince Member

I am so disappointed in the inclusion of Appel in the deal.

15. vince

vince Member

Fire Jeff Luhnow!!!! What has he done.... Crap moves. Our anchors are still Ed Wade guys, Altuve, Springer, and Dallas.

16. vince

vince Member

MLB had Luhnow by the cajones for a closer, and they ripped Luhnow a new one. Everyone knew the Astros needs and they exploited it.

His cocky attitude has been humbled. He was broken into by MLB. All of a sudden the talent in our minor league system is decimated.

17. solodolo

solodolo Member

Shut the **** up man get you whine even more ?

18. vince

vince Member

Previously a poster put that Vince Velazquez failed his physical. Wow!!!! Is there any truth to that?

19. vince

vince Member

Nope...

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Don't respond to him, people like that live for people to argue with him

Let him spew his trash and if no one responds he will go away soon