1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Dexter Fowler

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Buck Turgidson

Coming off his breakout year in '12, he signed a 6yr 51M contract (team option for the 6th year at 14.7M) that bought out 1 year of rookie scale money, his arbitration years and 2 years of FA (think I got that right). He'll be 31 when this contract runs its course.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly the sort of deal they should be working on with Springer this off-season.

Hopefully enough water is under the bridge after his rejection of the previous deal following last year's stashing.... plus he played his way to more $$$.

3. Buck Turgidson

Yep, and I'm sure they're still trying.

Back to Fowler: if the Stros don't make any OF personnel moves this offseason, I really hope they can convince him to move to LF. Fowler-Marisnick-Springer with Grossman as the 4th OF to give Dex & Springer days off looks good to me.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if he can be convinced to move to LF....do you think they should just let him play out his free agency year at $10 million+ and let him go? Or do you think they should be also working out an extension, and if he doesn't take it, should be shopping him now?

Additionally, if he doesn't accept a move to LF... but is willing to sign an extension provided he stays at CF, do you make that move?

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There is no way he can stay in center. It's a non starter conversation wise.

I would be willing to discuss extension, as a LF. I'm not sure if his CF wishes are ego or financially driven. Every major league team can see how bad his defensive numbers have been and would likely want him to move before they paid him anyhow.

I really want to keep him, not sure what market value is though. 5 years, 65 million, or something in that range I would be OK with.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

in a dream scenario I'd like to see more power from a left fielder than what Fowler can offer

I think a better option would be to acquire a proper left fielder in the offseason, and let Folwer and Marisnick scrap for the remaining OF spot. Loser can DH and be the 4th guy. Grossman doesn't interest me.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Marisnick as a DH is like Shaq playing PG.He is one on the best defensive outfielders in the league, maybe the best. He is that good.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

ok does it make up for his limited power?

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Would Fowler walking in FA give the Astros a sandwich or first round pick? Have to think that will play in Luhnow's decision.

10. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Marisnick's bat wasn't so toothless in the minors. There's good reason to believe the power will come at the major league level, too. He's 23 years old, and he's already an ace defensive player.

I like him.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would think they could do better by trading him... hell, I don't ever want to see "compensation pick" or "draft pick" as a reason for doing anything in baseball.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You'd have to offer him a one year deal for the average salary of the top 125 paid players.

The team could potentially make that offer, but nobody would sign him for fear of losing a pick, similar to Morales & Drew this season.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agreed. The QO was about $13m this season. Fowler is a solid player but $13m plus a comp pick for a below average CF older than 30 will be a ballsy call to make.

14. Buck Turgidson

I've been saying it, "if" they could get a proper masher if LF then hell yeah I'd package Fowler and 2-3 prospects in a heartbeat. If not, then fix 3B/1B.