1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 40-Man Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Aug 6, 2013.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Is Rhiner still salvageable? Or is his command and control beyond help?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rhiner's FB is 98, his slider is 91. Nasty stuff.</p>&mdash; Jeff Luhnow (@jluhnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/jluhnow/statuses/377660363241578496">September 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wesley Wright was traded.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think so, but wouldn't surprise me if they kept him. Stuff has always been great, but the results have been terrible.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Jeff knows this of course, but velocity is probably only the third most important aspect of a fastball....movement and command are more important. And judging by Rhiner's results, he's not getting it done with those.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Despite what some people on this thread say, i think we have room to spare on our 40. I count about 33 guys that must be protected, and about 10 guys who I think may be vulnerable, but I honestly wouldn't care if we lost them.

Cruz is one of the expendables if you will. I would probably protect him, hoping he would be able to learn better control. His upside is still extremely high, but i believe his likelihood of getting near that ceiling is pretty low.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I agree with you, but I'd still prefer to lose nobody (well, aside from Ambriz).