1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

If he could be the bridge between the starter and closer in the playoffs for a couple of games that would help just as much as a start. There is no guarantee that he will be effective as a starter based on his rehab performance.

2. CinematicFusion

Astros GM James Click has “no update” on the status of Michael Brantley.
    In an interview with team radio broadcaster Robert Ford
    Click said that “with every passing day, you have to kind of take an honest look at” whether or not Brantley’s 2022 season could be over, though the Astros are still hopeful that Brantley can eventually return.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wonder what his numbers are batting second. I don’t know where or how to find that out. My guess is that he needs Alvarez’s protection so he will see more fastballs. Gurriel does too, but we have his replacement. Pena should be hitting second and Mancini should be playing the majority of the starts at 1b. That improves two spots in your lineup as opposed to just one by batting Yuli second.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

They are generally good. I’m pretty sure they have that at baseball reference under the splits.

5. Screaming Fist

So who is starting in LF in the post-season if Brantley can't go? Diaz?

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Diaz as of right now, hopefully with McCormick in center and of course tucker in right.

If Meyers starts hitting who knows.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Screaming Fist

I guess they didn't want to trade for a rental with the possibility of Brantley returning. Hopefully he's on a hot streak in October.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Basically the options are Mancini, McCormick, or Diaz. Mancini in LF means Gurriel at 1B and Meyers or McCormick in CF. McCormick in LF means Mancini or Gurriel at 1B and Meyers (or Dubon) in CF. Diaz in LF means Mancini or Gurriel at 1B and McCormick or Meyers in CF. Personally my default lineup would be Gurriel at 1B, Mancini in LF and McCormick in CF.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

.290 with an 864 OPS batting second

raining threes likes this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And that isn't just random

His expected OPS vs fastballs is .902, vs breaking pitches it is .608

Protecting him with Yordan is a legit thing

No Worries likes this.
  11. Screaming Fist

Isn't Mancini a much better 1B than LF? I would also take Diaz's bat over Yuli's at this point although in LF Diaz's bat is pretty mediocre.

Good Lord, Yuli's xwOBA this season is down to .269. That's Maldy territory. He cannot start in the post-season. No way.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing this situation doesn't actually happen as I expect Brantley is back by the postseason and mashing. In the situation he isn't back, it really depends on Meyers. I think Astros are really high on him as an above average starter in CF and are doing everything in their power to get him up to speed. If Meyers is in center, I think it is a batte between Chas and Diaz. I'd guess Diaz wins more often at home with Chas getting the call in parks with bigger LFs. If Meyers just isn't healthy close to October, I think Astros cease trying to get him ready and will prioritize who is currently the best option in CF. They would go with Chas and then Diaz is in LF most games.

I hope either Gurriel finds the fountain of youth once more or Mancini is the 1B for the postseason.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Screaming Fist

Hard to figure out what is going on with Meyers. It doesn't seem to be simply about pitch recognition as his barrel% has gone to **** as well.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The playoffs without Brantley will probably look a lot like the past few days with Yordan in LF and Mancini at DH. If Click and Dusty decide to bench Yuli in the playoffs then that brings Diaz into the mix between 1B, LF, or DH.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Myers is playing hurt, as mentioned earlier.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is he is banged up and is playing through it. The Astros are treating him like almost any other starter that wants to play while banged up. Personally, I think his backup performs closer to his ability than most of the other starters/backups such that his backup is much better when he's banged up.

Edit: This is a source of a lot of my frustration. Chas is likely the 4th OF on this team when Meyers is 100% and Brantley is playing. That hasn't been the case this season. Early in the season, it really didn't matter too much as Siri was playing out of mind defensively, though I think long term, Chas will outplay him overall.

#1576 Joe Joe, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

They could deploy Vazquez at 1B. If they wanted to.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm expecting Brantley to miss the rest of the season.

The 13 position players on the roster now will be the same ones on the playoff roster unless the team wants Leon instead of Meyers as a speed/defense OF ( a la Fisher, McCormick, Siri)

Unless things drastically change between now and then:

Maldy gets most if not all starts at catcher. He has been very good hitting for the past 5+ weeks and Vazquez just does not appear to fit in with this team.

Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Tucker, and McCormick(CF) are everyday starters at set positions.

Yordan and Mancini start every day. Yuli and Diaz are in a kind of platoon.

If Yordan is comfortable and can play LF without any negative issues, then Mancini is DH and Yuli 1B.

If for any reason the team decides it's better for Yordan to DH, the Mancini is 1B, and Diaz in LF

Vazquez, Dubon, and either Meyers or Leon are on the bench.

cmlmel77 and No Worries like this.
  19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He has only had 9 ABs... Can we give him a few weeks before we start this?

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It has nothing to do with ABs or results.

It has to do with me never seeing him involved in dugout celebrations when the camera pans after something great. I don't see him smiling and socializing in the dugout. Everyone else is.

I feel like he is just waiting for the offseason to be away from this team.