1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This.
    Lance was Awesome last year as an Ace in the regular season and a legit #1 in the playoffs. He’s also completely integral to our only ever WS and his injury might have swung two other WS for us. If he’s healthy you absolutely roll him out there. 11 times out of 10.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

McCullers
    Javier
    Garcia
    Brown
    Urquidy

It will be a great rotation next year.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think he would be in a similar position as Whitley. But he IS Lance McCullers who has stepped up anytime he's healthy IN THE PLAYOFFS. If he shows he still has his stuff, he's a lock. But that's a BIG IF. Even so, would you want him to start in the BP or slide him into the rotation? It's not like we're trying to replace Snell who's 0-5 with an ERA over 5.

4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Verlander leaves but what about Valdez? You think Verlander is gone for sure? I wonder if Crane will do whatever to keep him.

No Worries likes this.
  5. tmacfor35

I am going to be completely honest. I forgot about Framber. He is under Arb for the next few years.

Still think that Verlander money will go to Kyle Tucker as it should.

No way JV is an Astro next year, which is why I think the Astros will be aggressive at the deadline.

H-Town Info likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I like:

Verlander $37M
    McCullers #17M
    Javier $3.5M
    Valdez $6M
    Brown CC1
    Whitley CC1

7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Maybe we can be Brown in the Javier role like in 2021 with some starts and bullpen weapon. I think JV is gone if this pitching keeps up and use the JV money to extend Tucker and/or one of the starters.

8. tmacfor35

JV probably goes to the Blue Jays or Yankees for 40 mill a pop at this rate.

Tucker for an Alvarez type extension sounds great to me right now.

H-Town Info likes this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I think Verlander keeps signing 1 to 2 year contracts with the Astros as long as he wants. Urquidy could be traded in the off-season to make room. Odorizzi hasn't had the happiest time in Houston and if he gets left off the playoff roster he may say screw this and doesn't exercise his nice player option for next year and moves on.

everyday eddie and No Worries like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think JV prefers a more settled situation. He was hard to convince to move from Detroit to Houston. If we offered $37M AAV, I think he stays, particularly is we just extend his performance protection player option to 2024. It would be higher AAV than anyone other than Scherzer on his year 40 contract. Better Tax deal. Doesn't uproot Family.

Tucker, on the other hand, seems like he will chase the dollars like Springer and Correa (I had to look up Correa - darned short term memory.)

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Potential Rotation competitors:

1. Verlander 2.03 ERA
    2. Javier 2.58 ERA
    3. Valdez 2.65 ERA
    4. Odorizzi 3.13 ERA
    5. Garcia 3.54 ERA
    6. Urquidy 4.36 ERA
    7. McCullers 3.16 ERA [2021]
    8. Brown 2.42 ERA [AAA]
    9. Whitley HOT FORMER #1 Prospect 1 hit in last 5 IP w 7 SO.

12. tmacfor35

Whitley throws in AAA on Monday. That will be an interesting one to follow.

Kid is 6'7 and sits upper 90's when healthy. Not only is the ball coming in hot, it is from above and getting on you quicker due to his length.

His issue was control, mechanics etc. Lets hope the Astros development got him squared away.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FIFY

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. tmacfor35

Haha,
    True.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This is a terrible take.

You are saying that this is perfect and can not be improved? That If a pitcher with TOR ability and history becomes available you don't use him?

This rotation has been great but far from perfect.

Lance is unquestionably better than Odorizzi and Urquidy, likely better than Garcia, and possibly better than Javier and Valdez.

He was the Ace last year and has a better post season track record than any of them.

If Mick Lancer fit that description then replace one of the others with him 100 times out of 100.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Meyers will cross the 200 pa threshold in MLB in the next week or so. He’s been worth 1.4 fwar in that time, so projecting him out as a 3+ win/yr player is totally reasonable. He will probably strike out too much to be a star, but seeing him as the midpoint between prime Marisnick and prime Springer sounds about right and makes him an excellent core piece hitting in the bottom of the lineup and playing CF for the next 5 years.

17. prospecthugger

Some people become less of idiots when they get further from their early 20s. He's had an interesting path from out of shape teen to millionaire first round pick, to top pitching prospect in baseball, to seeing some of the unheralded guys he played with in the minors succeed in the majors and pitch in the world series. Not everyone has a straight line path to success, not that the personalities are comparable, but Greinke nearly quit baseball, and now he's a borderline HOFer. Whitley is on the 40 man roster already, and is possibly a better option at reliever than anyone not already in the majors. I think he could play a role on the team this year.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

Where is all of this JV not returning mumbo jumbo coming from?

mikol13 likes this.
  19. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Someone might be insane enough to throw 40 million at a 40 year old JV

20. prospecthugger

Right. Lance McCullers isn't being added to the team because of his name or contract. He's being added to the team because his curveball is on the short list for most dominant pitches in baseball. He pairs it with a mid 90s FB and a change up that can be ridiculous when he has it going right. Pre injury he had enough command of his arsenal to thrive as a starter. It's hard to imagine a situation where you would rather keep Seth Martinez around than add that kind of arm to your team. Framber, Abreu, Pressly and McCullers are going to be hell for any players that struggle against breaking balls. Don't know how it will all shake out down the stretch and in the playoffs, but the pitching staff has some weapons.

rockbox and Snake Diggit like this.