1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My impressions are limited after only 2 games, but I will say that Bregman looks really good. Not sure if its focus, confidence or health, but he seems really dialed in to start the season.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The only issue I have with Odorizzi is that he is blocking Javier.

I get that it's a 162 season and 2 TOR starters are returning from / starting rehab from significant injury.

"You can never have too much pitching" and that is true. But having all those arms causes problems for individual players even if not the team.

But sitting Javier in the bullpen as his service time clock ticks away bothers me.

The team has stated that they want Javier to start and that his future is in the rotation. He was a ROY finalist aa a starter in 2020 then bumped to the bullpen last year for no fault of his own. This is year 3 not year one.

Starting Jake may be best move now ( debatable) but it surely hurts Javier's development and the team in 2023 or 2024.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Javier made 9 starts last season. If you think it's because he's being "blocked" by Odorizzi I'm not sure what to tell you.

I don't know what the plan is, but if the Astros wanted him starting he would be starting. They basically mothballed Odorizzi in the playoffs, so they won't give him starts if they don't want to.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's only 2 games and it's the Angels but :

Alex looks healthy and driven which should lead to an all star caliber season.

Pena looks like he can be a solid player and hold down shortstop which is big.

McCormick and Siri should mix n match CF into a position that won't drag the team down.

The pitching staff looks very deep, especially the rotation.

This team has potential to be as good as any this side of 2019.

5. Buck Turgidson

#SP Stros have used 2021-2015: 9-10-14-9-11-11-13

JeeberD, Bregatron and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Screaming Fist

Javier’s command blocked Javier.

Framber really impressed in his outing. He didn’t really use his new cutter but his changeup was very effective. That pitch has come a long way in his ability to command it and it can be another strikeout pitch for him.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I agree. But is his injury bug over or is this just a temporary reprieve? It has worked both ways in the past, so my expectations are still tempered.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

#28 marks0223, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    rhino17 and punkoholic like this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm a fan

I like the "Space" font, liked it when the Rockets did it on theirs, and like it here. Always like when the orange gradient is used, even if only on the socks and trim. Like the numbers on the pants throwback as well. Good combo of retro and modern imo. Hat is ok.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Roster moves I would like to see...

1. Cut Baez

2. Cut Niko Goodrum after trading for Jose Iglesias when the Rockies realize they suck.

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Love the hats and the jerseys are growing on me. Much better than the Nationals imo.

rhino17 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Those with NASA's color scheme would have been awesome.

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No ish has b****ed about the Odo signing more than me, but he is what he is- an average pitcher. Could we do better (and for less money?) Sure- I think. Wish we used that money elsewhere. But is Odo in any way, shape or form a problem for us or an impediment to winning if he goes out and throws 150 innings? No way. He’s fine. He can get you through regular season games with competence in the same way Fiers could, and in an ideal world you don’t roster him in the playoffs and say “see you next spring”.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Possible trade deadline needs (most likely to least likely)
    TOR
    Bullpen piece
    Corner OF Bat
    SS
    1b/dh Type
    I know they don’t want to play Tucker at CF, but you could for a couple months if that becomes a problem or Brantley is washed up. Maybe just a RH hitting Corner OF of Brantley becomes a guy you want to platoon and you don’t want Myers and Chaz/SIRI out there at the same time.
    Most likely outcome is you need 1 thing and can shift other parts around depending upon what the price tag is for that one thing.
    IMO you want to go into the playoffs with 7 bats you can trust- 7 or 8 arms (depending upon the allocation between starters and relievers) and then guys with a specific skill set that you will use occasionally. You can mix or match acquisitions from there depending upon where your needs are and what the price tag is.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d love to know how many starts in each year by the best 5 guys. mid you get 140 starts from your front line guys and use 6 pitchers to cover the other 22 starts that’s not all that important and can be filled by MInor League Jags. If you get 100 starts from your main 5 that’s a big problem.
    I think 2018 even though we used 9 starters we used our main 5 almost exclusively. 2017 by comparison was sort of a low key disaster for starters and the rotation was held together at one time by Fiers and bailing wire and super glue.

16. Mattician

Mattician Member

Woah the Space City Nike City Connect uniforms look amazing.

Really love the logo on the cap.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

18. Screaming Fist

As many good things there were to see in the opening season, I noticed that Pressly's velo is still down 2-3 mph even in his appearance yesterday. He's been consistently averaging in the 92.5-92.9 range for his fastball over his last three appearances going back to ST.

Moreover, if you look at the game-by-game velo going back to last season Pressly's been bleeding velo significantly since the Tampa series last September:
    [​IMG]

cmlmel77, rockbox and Downtownbrown like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Definitely something to keep an eye on, but I’m assuming the front office has addressed this concern prior to offering him a pretty fat extension.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He could be sacrificing some speed for movement/location? His weapon still remains the curveball, and it seems more breaking/spinning/dangerous than ever. Maybe we should look at his overall spin rates and see if there is any changes/decline there as well?

Oswalt went through a similar downtrend in velocity... but it was again more to gain location/movement than an actual physical decline.

Snake Diggit likes this.