1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

@Nook isnt that your boy?

Nook likes this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sign JV and Abreu, trade Maton and another arm for something intriguing, DFA the flotsam and call it an off-season. Go win 100-110 in 2023.

3. Screaming Fist

That’s a big loss. No way they could keep him?

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Promote him to GM and release Click would have been the only way.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? Crane was willing to go over THIS year. For the right players he likely would go over next year.

The Astros success isn’t 100% predicated on Verlander. If he decides to leave the Astros will have lots of money to spend and to address the offense.

Verlander is awesome but the Astros are that deep in pitching. They resign Verlander they likely get a veteran bat on a short contract and trade some depth in the rotation for a young controllable bat.

It isn’t doom and gloom.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Happy for him. He has earned it and this may have made the Click decision easier.

phasors28 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

No, he has wanted a chance for a few years now and he is going to a good organization. We are lucky we had him this long.

donkeypunch likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If they don't bring in at least one proven bat this offseason I would consider that a huge failure.

I can't possibly see how you can say with a straight face 1B and LF aren't glaring needs, if they aren't then what is? We at least have some semi proven options in CF.

I'm OK if they want to use one spot as a flex for prospects, not 2 given we're already projecting average or outright bad production out of C,SS and CF.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think I was unclear, I am far from doom and gloom. I believe the Astros with or without Verlander are going to have a better year in 2023 than they had this year. I believe Crane is committed to sticking with Verlander for as long as he wishes to stay. If he moves on (a little more likely than not in my opinion) we will still have a rotation to be reckoned with. Six starters that individually would improve any team and together are capable of over 100 wins. The infield will be improved by virtue of Pena's rookie year being behind him. He will be a star for years to come if he can stay healthy. By replacing Gurriel with even an average player at first base a good improvement will be realized.
    In the outfield a full season of a fully recovered Meyers in center field will stabilize what has seemed like a mess this season and there are other options, perhaps better options coming.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

“Outright bad production out of C, SS, and CF”? The incumbent SS was a rookie who was a league average bat (wRC+ of 102) worth 3.4 fWAR. The incumbent CF (McCormick) put up a wRC+ of 114. If you call that outright bad your scale needs calibrating.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What do you mean by “the Click decision”?

Htown Legend likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep, Houston is in a good position. They either resign Verlander and scrounge for 1B/OF or Verlander leaves and they have a lot of money to spend on the lineup (they could likely afford for example both Josh Bell and Mitch Haniger for what Verlander will get). Not even sure which choice is better although I love me some JV.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I love the way you selectively ignored the 2 words before outright bad and also didn't address how 1B and LF aren't glaring holes

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait wut?

I'm OK if they want to use one spot as a flex for prospects, not 2 given we're already projecting average or outright bad production out of C,SS and CF.

So you think Pena had an average season?

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Matijevic and Diaz both project to be league average bats. They’d be below average 1B overall but given what Houston got from Gurriel this year and how strong the rest of their lineup is I wouldn’t call it glaring.

A CF/LF combo of a healthy Meyers and McCormick would project to be roughly league average (both are ~2 win players). It’s not a glaring hole.

Yes, both those positions are the weakest in their lineup and should be the first place they look to upgrade, but if they do nothing their roster would still project for 50+ fwar.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Whether Crane makes a competitive contract extension offer to Click quickly after the seasons ends or browses through the possible candidates around the league. I am sure the Astros will claim they always wanted to keep Click if she gets a new contract, but Crane has been looking at possible upgrades available and the top internal option is now with the Giants.

That is assuming that Click would accept an extension without question, when the trepidation is supposedly by both sides, with Click open to considering lateral moves as well.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Some people gloss right over "for the right player" and go straight to willing to go over.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros won 106 games this season. As long as the Astros spend about as much as this season next season and do it efficiently regardless if it is for a 1B, an OF, or to keep Verlander, they will be fine.

BlindHog, Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

This is what I know. They are going to address one of their biggest needs (1st or OF) by either signing someone to a shorter contract OR trade. They are not planning on running those positions back unless everything falls through. There is a good chance whoever they get will not be someone that has been a long term fixture at 1st base but can make a positional change.

For example, the name I heard last week from someone working for the Astros is Evan Longoria as a possible inexpensive first baseman. Other names over the last 3 or so months I have heard are Wil Myers, Josh Bell, Jose Abreu, Mitch Haniger and Brandon Belt. So basically the Astros are open to a lot of people that span the economic landscape from expensive (Josh Bell & Jose Abreu) to very affordable. Personally, if the asking price isn't very high, I would welcome Mitch Haniger.

I would suspect that Bell or Abreu are more realistic if Verlander signs somewhere else. Neither is likely to get a really long deal but should get decent money.

Also the Astros have had interest in Brandon Nimmo to play centerfield. He has been hurt a lot and that may keep his contract from being beyond what the Astros are willing to pay.

There are going to be a lot of teams wanting Justin Verlander this Winter and it is going to be extremely expensive to resign him. The Mets are very interested, the Yankees have interest as well and the Rangers are going to spend a lot again to address their starting pitching. Toronto and San Francisco also are looking for pitching but I haven't heard their mentioned with Verlander.

DeGrom, Verlander, Rodon, Eovaldi and possibly Chris Sale all will be available but there are more teams that pitchers available.

20. Nook

Nook Member

There will be "right players" available though. Crane is willing to spend money in this window and go into the tax but he will not over pay.

Snake Diggit and Marshall Bryant like this.