1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't really disagree with much of what you said, but I still don't see why I should trust Crane's decision making(not that I have a choice).

What I'm gathering from the reports, and even in your post, Crane wants a guy who's gonna push chips in (yet doesn't want to rebuild). I think the window would already be closing if Crane had his way when it comes to prospects. Luhnow caught lightning in a bottle, and I think Crane has lost the respect for how hard/important it is to produce good MLB players from the farm.

I'm indifferent to Click himself, no strong feeling either way. I made the Jerry Jones comp a few pages back, but that the vibes I'm getting from Crane right now, and that concerns me.

Screaming Fist and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t think he’s that rash. And evaluating somebody for 3 years is a pretty good time frame in all industries.

Crane saw Luhnow grow into the role and get better at optimizing the MLB team while keeping the development pipeline strong. Some of that took some early shrewd moves to make happen (Cozart trade). Some of it took some luck (JV trade). Some of it was just being a great GM (Cole trade). But countless other under the radar moves (Morton, McCann, Brantley, Diaz Chirinos, Maldy…) were vital to establishing and maintaining the juggernaut. Luhnow didn’t have to cash in chips for those sorts of moves.

Click has put his stamp on the bullpen… and maybe that was his primary focus in Tampa. He’s been lacking in impact moves on the roster, although I felt Vasquez/Mancini were good additions this year.

Crane wants to obviously trust the guy overseeing all the baseball moves, but after the scandal perhaps he’ll never fully be hands off again… I still don’t think it’s a total gunslinger move to consider another leader at this time.

BlindHog and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

dude, if a bunch of people, particularly respected ones provide feedback to you … perhaps you should consider self reflection and the possibility that, yeah, it is me.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

No thanks. I don't follow the crowd just because it's the consensus of the crowd. The crowd can be wrong.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As can individuals

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Which is why diverse opinions are not BAD THINGS just because you disagree.

8. Mattician

Mattician Member

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ahhhh...again the irony...you using the word diversity.

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Pretty sure that dude is a bot. Posts like one.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

These threads are becoming bigger trainwrecks than Yankee fan logic.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Dodgers have the tougher road I guess

mikol13 and No Worries like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The FanGraphs WS odds are likely underestimating the Astros chances. The Astros are getting dinged heavily for playing in the weaker league, dinged for having pitchers that outperform their FIPs, and their current odds aren't updated for how the Astros will try to shove their pitching depth down other teams throats (after the regular season, FanGraphs will adjust inning allotments to attempt to reflect how to different teams will use their pitching in the postseason).

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I know it has been discussed here whether or not to prefer the #2 seed, but it is definitely true in the NL. The Mets really blew it this weekend.

Tomstro and No Worries like this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The article comes off as a hit job. Crane can do whatever he wants since he owns the team and has made great decisions since he's been the owner. Until he totally F's up. In Crane I trust. What we've done as a club without over spending the last decade is pretty amazing. We will be a playoff team at least until 2025. That is over 10 years of contending.

17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

the latter points may be correct, but they are getting credit for being in the weaker league, not dinged - the odds reflect the easier path through the LCS. The Dodgers are indisputably the better team, but have lower odds for a reason.

Ultimately, given a succession of short series against good opponents and then facing a very strong NL champion, 18% is strong.

The absolute highest anyone should be this time of year is around 21% (70% round one, 60% ALCS, 50% WS), but we are talking small percentage differences.

Rileydog likes this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

No Worries, rockbox and mikol13 like this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

Have seen this video before. What stadium was it at and was this a NYY scout? Any confirmation who this guy is taking these pics?

rockbox likes this.