1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Dallas Keuchel being a Cy Young winner was not foreseen in the dark years.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I’m not even remotely okay with giving up all of the for German Odorizzi Marquez.

the shark likes this.
  3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I started writing a 5 year projection about 8 years ago. I drag it out and work on it every few months. I have never even come close to finishing it.

4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

He has gone deeper into the season, and pitched more innings than I expected them to use him in. He should have been relied on less in the regular season. I am afraid by the time the play-offs start he may have reached his limit.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The good news is Urquiddy should hopefully be as fresh as possible. He’s gotta have the inside track to being #3.

the shark likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Comparing Marquez to Odorizzi is ridiculous. That package may be an overpay, but Marquez is a clear ToR pitcher.

Htown Legend likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

I read some musings, I forgot where, about how it’s a matter of time before the Nats trade Soto…they don’t look like they’ll realistically be able to contend while they still have him, and their owner isn’t going to fork over the $300-$400 mil it’ll take to sign him thereafter…so, what would it take for the Stros to land him? I’m guessing we do not have the capabilities to beat the market on this one, but what would a hypo Soto deal look like?

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For maybe the best hitter in baseball with 3 more years of team control, no injuries and postseason proven? Pena, Lee, Leon and probably Whitley as a throw in. That's likely just the cost to get ourselves in the discussion.

His theoretical trade value is so high right now, he's bordering on untradeable.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s nearly untradeable. A package of Luis Garcia, Hunter Brown, Pedro Leon, Jose Siri, and Jeremy Pena would likely be competitive if the Nats shopped him.

awc713 likes this.
  11. HeyBudLetsParty

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat if I was the Astros, 3 years of team control left. Highly doubt it would get the conversation started, you’d probably need a Tucker, Bregman level prospect and another 1 to 2 in the top 100 to get a deal done. Joe Buck aside, Soto is really the closest thing I’ve seen to Barry Bonds at the plate. I’m happy we have Yordan to do similar things but this kid is on a total different level.

awc713 likes this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeah, I know it’s far fetched. He’s quietly having another amazing year. His plate discipline is almost Bonds-esque. He’s reached base safely 230 times in his last 460 ABs. I figured the price would be astronomical, more of a pie in the sky ideal…but Soto in our lineup with Tucker, Alvarez, and Bregman would be something else (even if we have no one left after that, haha)

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yeah this is what it would take to get in the discussions for someone like Soto. I don't see the other deals being competitive when they need quality more than quantity

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

https://nypost.com/2021/09/25/what-astros-are-doing-now-makes-cheating-scandal-even-sadder/

Not a bad article.

#1294 The Real Shady, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. awc713

awc713 Member

Hard to take any 2021 article rehashing the cheating scandal seriously when it also fails to reference the likelihood/reality of other orgs doing the same shady stuff. Quit scapegoating in 2021. I get Shermans overall stance that the success to date is vindicating to a certain extent, but failure to reference that this has been a league-wide issue just makes the piece lose credibility IMO. If you’re going to reference the scandal in hindsight…maybe recognize that, while what Houston did was a felony, that the league and other teams weren’t so righteous in their own regard either. This is remnants 2.0 of **everyone** turning a blind eye in the steroid era with the media on their pedestals again.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2850225/202...he-al-west-michael-brantleys-status-and-more/

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros have been so weird about injury reports this season. I am wondering if Click intentionally obfuscates injury information in order to gain some perceived advantage (I guess maybe opposing teams not knowing who will be in the lineup?).

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Angels personnel are really putting pressure on ownership with recent comments. Maddon, Ohtani, and Trout have all publicly spoken about the need to improve the team. If they spend money they should really contend. Adding something like Scherzer, Stroman, Baez, and a closer would put them as one of the best rosters in baseball and on par with the Astros.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It could be to help them skirt some IL rules here and there. It could be that the COVID situation has brought forward the issue of what information should be shared about a player's health. I think there is some communication issues between FO and Dusty that creates some confusion. I think it is obvious Astros are being more tight-lipped about things, and Dusty in particular seems annoyed when reporters ask him questions when it is obvious he's told them all he's been instructed to tell them about an injury. Also, Astros may be trying to manage expectations as they don't want to give a schedule when recovery times are variable (i.e., they would rather media/fans get upset with them for not giving detailed info than on a player who's out longer than the recovery schedule).

Snake Diggit and Htown Legend like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You have an unhealthy infatuation with Baez...

But as it is, they've never shied away from spending money... adding Rendon, making a push for Cole, extending Trout, etc.

They just have no farm system to create depth to either withstand injuries or be in position to trade for established players.