1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I understand that there are some strange quirks is any objective list with Javier being one of them in this list. But my objective was simply to find a measure for SPs (thus GS) which would qualify at least 150 pitchers and use the objective criteria of ERA+ for the rankings.

You could easily develop a different way to determine both qualifications and/or criteria for ranking the starting pitching. The easiest would be to shorten the criteria to just pitching after the All Star Break. But that would also create some strange names because of the qualifications by openers.

2. Buck Turgidson

I like baseball-reference for most things I need to know; mlb.com for injury and/or send-down-up transaction things, fangraphs for data, and espn for the batter vs pitcher things and quick stuff while I'm watching the game.

That's enough for me.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Baseball Reference and MLB.com are my primary sources as well. I just like a little more flexibility sorting with different criteria at times.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Hey, if you can find this again I'm all for it:

mlb.com used to have double split stats, for example you could look up a guy's home/road splits against LH/RH pitchers. They took that away from me recently, and I was sad, because I thought it was useful and interesting.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I got to take my family to see that 2019 team in Anaheim against the Angels. That was when Verlander got his 3,000th K. That was the best team I ever saw in baseball.

Nook, Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I'll still put the September '98 Stros right up there.

'98 Yankees. That would have been such a great WS.

I loved the Cito Gaston Toronto team. I loved the A's team that lost in '88.

"Teams" is a tricky question. There's been a lot of team that weren't the most talented but just won. Minny, STL, SFx?

raining threes likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There used to be a data base that would let you set your own qualifications, but I've long ago lost track of it.

9. Buck Turgidson

Oh, but not the spreadsheets?

Work on that, dude

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I've been using spreadsheets since LOTUS123 was still DOS only. I expanded to SMART spreadsheets with HL&P and finally to Excel. Let an old man have his fun.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Who has had the worst week (before yesterday's fiasco)?
    [Last 7 days compared to 2021]

L/R/S PLAYER OBP SLG OPS
    R DIAZ, Aledmys -199 -391 -589
    R ALTUVE, Jose -122 -320 -405
    R GURRIEL, Yuli -26 -137 -162
    L BRANTLEY, Michael -37 -115 -150
    R MEYERS, Jake -5 -83 -88
    R CORREA, Carlos 20 -5 15
    R MALDENADO, Martin -31 75 44
    R BREGMAN, Alex 109 -15 96
    L TUCKER, Kyle 62 61 123
    L ALVAREZ, Yordan 24 170 195

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021...cluded-changes-to-service-time-structure.html

Some interesting changes proposed by the owners. While the vibe being reported is very negative and seems to indicate the league is on track for a strike, I am more optimistic although I can’t put my finger on why. Anyway, the league proposed something I have been in favor of for a long time, which is having free agency tied to a player’s age rather than service time. The league proposed 29.5, although I’m assuming that was an opening number and it would end up being lower (my idea was after the players age 28 season). Another option would be to tie free agency to when a player signed as an amateur, similar to how Rule 5 eligibility is calculated; so if a player signed before age 20, he reaches MLB free agency after 8 seasons, but if a player signs after age 20, he reaches free agency after 6 seasons.

My guesses for how this all shakes out:

They manage to avoid a strike/lockout.

Free agency at 28.5. Players receive predetermined increases in salary each season based on service time (no more arbitration).

Luxury tax at $200M, tied to league total revenues moving forward. No increase for repeat offenders. No draft pick penalties for going over. Increased % of penalties.

Additional days off around All-Star break (maybe an entire week off).

Playoff expanded to feature a 4 team wild card bracket in each league playing 3 game series to advance to face the division winners in a 4 team bracket.

Reduced Spring Training; players don’t report until 3/1.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Why wait another 50 years?

Just play 29 2H/2A series 29*4 116 games for seeding.
    Then seven game playoff brackets.

Top seeds (2) bye to GREAT 8 (28) 1ST Round
    (16) 8 GREAT 8
    (8) 4 QUARERs
    (4) 2 SEMIs
    (2) 1WS

Maximum of 35 playoff games or 151 total games

No games before April and No games after October. Perhaps a Universal Thursday OFF and alternating Home and Road weeks with a 1 WEEK all star break played on Thursday.

1st Friday in April becomes the universal season Opener.

For 2022, that would be:

Week 1 April 1 - April 6
    Week 2 April 8 - April 13
    Week 3 April 15 - April 20
    Week 4 April 22 - April 27
    Week 5 April 29 - May
    Week 6 May - May
    Week 7 May - May
    Week 8 May - May
    Week 9 June - June
    Week 10
    Week 11
    Week 12
    Week 13
    Week 14
    Week 15
    Week 16
    Week 17
    Week 19
    Week 20
    Week 21
    Week 22
    Week 23
    Week 24
    Week 25
    Week 26
    Week 27
    Week 28
    Week 29
    Week 30
    PO 1
    PO 2
    PO 3
    PO 4
    WS 5

#1115 Marshall Bryant, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

0% chance they play less total games. I can see universal DH being part of the new CBA along with some changes to roster size (maybe 25 man rosters with a permanent 5 man taxi squad). That would open the door to set schedules; something like where all teams play 25 other teams 6 times (3H/3A) and the other 4 teams 3 times, with the differences determined by logistics/travel distance.

I think it’ll be important to reward the best teams with a bye in order to keep the regular season meangingf with expanded playoffs. Otherwise you’ll start to see tons of teams resting all their best players in September.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would like an age based or signing date based free agent number. It would get the better players to the majors faster. It would also get rid of service time manipulation and almost as important, whining about service time manipulation.

BlindHog and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Idea for a full 7 day All Star break:
    Day 1-2 is an MLB draft combine
    Day 3 is Futures Game
    Day 4 is HR derby
    Day 5 is All Star Game
    Day 6 is Alumni/Celebrity game
    Day 7 is MLB draft

raining threes and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If this were to occur, I would predict an influx of international players who don't look their age.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would teams then promote highly drafted players faster? Really put the OTJ training theory to the test (that mostly all young players require massive adjustments at the big league level, no matter what their production was in the minors).