1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Now we face the dreaded dregs for the next ten games. Only the Astros seem to do worse against dregs than leaders.

rockbox likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Keep an eye on Detroit as a sleeper pick for Carlos Correa this offseason. Hinch gives them a familiar face (plus they might still have Grossman), they should have plenty of money, they should be ready to make a splash signing, and they have a need at SS. They have good players at 3B (Candelaria), C (Hasse/Rogers), and CF (Baddoo) and near-ready elite prospects in RF (Greene) and 1B (Torkelson). Add in their young rotation and the prospects they should get from the players they trade away this deadline, and it is reasonable for them to sell themselves as similar to the 2015 Astros.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Have to think that his wife is going to have a say and Detroit probably isn't high on her list. You're not wrong in your assessment...but I think if he's leaving, it will be for a large market team.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Does this table indicate that Tucker is elite defensively?

7. rockbox

Yankees will make a play for him because Torres is horrible and they got plenty of space next season. If anyone was made for the NY limelight, it's Correa. The Yankees need some clutch hitting.

#627 rockbox, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I hated Joe Torre, but he wasn’t bad

9. The Beard

Can’t see Carlos going anywhere that isn’t ready to win immediately, and while as you state Detroit has some good talent on the way, I can’t imagine Carlos looking at himself as the final piece of a championship team there next year

And I’m guessing the wife wouldn’t list Detroit on her preferred destinations

But in the end money talks. He probably takes the highest offer wherever it is or stays right here, and staying here is still where my money is

10. rockbox

LOL. I forgot an "s", I was referring to Gleyber Torres.

The Beard likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

12. The Beard

Lol

I do see the fit in NY, but do they have that kind of money coming off the books?

Many still look at the Yanks as a team that will just outspend everyone in free agency, but they haven’t necessarily been that team for a while now. Certainly they have the money and will always be one of the top salaried teams, but they don’t just say hell with the cap we will spend whatever we need to

HTXSportsAddict and marks0223 like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yankees are up against the tax and only have $11M (Kluber) coming off their books, and have a huge arb class. They may break the bank for Correa or Story or Seager but I don’t think they have “plenty of space”.

I agree that Correa is suited for and likely wants a big market like LA or NY. But I don’t see any of those teams being able to give him $250M+.

14. rockbox

They almost 100 million available next year. They have plenty of space. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/payroll/2022/

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

17. CinematicFusion

Altuve is an Astro until 2024 at age 34. He's making 29 million a year.

I can see Astros paying Correa till age 34 (which would be an 8 year contract). 30-35 Million a year.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah they will have $100M in space if they non-tender Judge, Sanchez, German, Frazier, Cessna, Montgomery, Loaisiga, Peralta, Higashoka, Green, Torres, Urshela, Andujar, and Voit. That’s half their everyday lineup, 2/5 of their rotation, and half their bullpen. Otherwise they will have to non-tender a few of those guys just to be under the tax.

Like I said it wouldn’t shock me if the Yankees went over the tax and signed a big free agent but I wouldn’t bet on it.

19. Screaming Fist

I think that's fair and hopefully they do make that kind of offer. I wish they would have done it in the off-season though as I think he would have been more likely to take a home-team discount when he's not also fielding likely superior offers from other teams.

rockbox likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Houston was going to offer Correa a long term deal they would have done it this past offseason. I think the only way Houston brings Correa back is if somehow his market doesn’t meet his expectations and he wants to take a short term deal to take another shot at free agency. But the way things are going and the season he is having, someone will step up and offer him $200M+ and he will take it.

My expectation is that Houston shops for a SS from the 2nd (Semien, Baez, Taylor), 3rd (Crawford, Gregorius), or maybe even 4th (Simmons, Villar, Galvis, Iglesias, Andrus) tier of free agents, banks on one of Pena, Leon, or Nova to be ready to be the everyday SS soon, and uses their available money on extensions for guys like Tucker, Alvarez, and Valdez.