1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assuming health: What's the ceiling for this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jul 16, 2010.

1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

Let's assume a high-end health scenario for '10-'11. by this i mean all key players play 70+ games at a relatively high level. let's also say that the roster for this year is only the players on it right now, meaning no trade deadline moves.

what do you think in terms of wins, conference rank and playoffs? what's the cieling?

I'll save my thoughts for later, but I'm curious what everyone thinks.

2. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

2 seed

Championship is the ceiling if the big guy is 100% come May.

3. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

i think we will flirt with 60 wins.

it all depends on health thats for sure.

2nd seed.

4. redao

redao Member

2nd round.

5. anon3803

anon3803 Member

If everyone's healthy throughout most of the season . . . I'd say somewhere between 3-5 in the conference at year end. As far as playoffs, I'd guess WCF is our ceiling.

However, there's also the very small chance IMO, that Budinger, Taylor, Hill, and/or Patterson have a break out season and push us over the top and get us to the finals.

6. RedHotRockets01

55 games won, 4th possibly 5th in the West, 2nd round exit. Not enough bigs to bang with the rest of the powerhouses in the West. Yao will no doubt get fronted again like he did in 09. That means Luis will face someone probably bigger and stronger. I hope he can pull through but who knows. I'll be behind our guys 100% as always. Nobody out hustles us thats for sure, so who knows how things will go down. An injury to a key player on another team might just put us over the hump. NOT that im wishing for that, but it is possible.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't want to limit the Rockets -- you don't want to be the one to sell your favorite team short -- but I'm guessing this team, as constructed right now, can get to the second round of the playoffs at best.

I still have so many questions: What is the tempo going to be of this team? What is their identity? Is Shane Battier still a key part of this team? If they were rooted in defense once again, I'd have more confidence... but they really slipped in that regard. Guys like Aaron Brooks, Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger... they're playing more minutes. I just personally don't think Yao survives a season where the Rockets and opponents are putting up 120 every few games.

Rockets still require a trade. They need a defensive and versatile big, first and foremost. Then there's still the bigger hope of landing that star player. So right now I wouldn't put them past the 2nd round of the playoffs, but if Yao can prove himself healthy and gets back to form, then Houston could be an attractive location for a star on a team looking to make a change. Then you'll likely see the ceiling increase.

1 person likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think it depends on whether or not an individual TRUE leader emerges. It's great to have a team that plays TEAM ball, but this isn't college -- if someone doesn't step up and grab the reins, we might not get past the second round.

9. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

How will Yao being fronted result in Luis facing someone bigger? If Yao is fronted, that means Luis' man has to cheat toward Yao, which opens up the mid-range shot for Luis. Luis can hit the elbow jumpshot on a very consistent basis. Fronting Yao was effective against us in the past when he was essentially the only real threat out there--there weren't the right pieces around him. When Luis and Yao were playing together the year before, Scola's presence helped neutralize the fronting. Now that we have a true shooter in Martin who gets to the line at a serious clip and other slashers like Brooks and Bud, I'd actually welcome the fronting.

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyEtmfQCxbY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyEtmfQCxbY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I say 55 wins and a trip to the conference semis but after that who knows. I still don't like our matchup with the Lakers but anyone else is a toss-up in my book. Gun to my head, 2nd rd exit but a trip to the WCF wouldn't suprise me.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Top 2 seed, and I concur about the championship as a possibility.

DD

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree with Clutch's assessment. I think 2nd round in the Western Conference playoffs with the team we currently have. If we added a defensive Big and a true star, we'd be contenders for the championship.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Our potential is 2nd or 3rd seed, with a possibility of meeting the Lakers in the conference Finals... with a chance of dethroning the champs!

If we sign Brad Miller, he would be our 5th player over 6'10.. So this team would definitely have some size to compete against the 'Fakers'!

Yao Ming - 7'6
    Brad Miller - 7'0
    Jared Jeffries - 6'11
    David Andersen - 6'11
    Jordan Hill - 6'10

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Depends on whether or not the Rockets face Utah in the playoffs.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Even if Yao doesn't return to top form, he will still slow the game down just by being on the court, Our lacking defense wasn't the only thing that lead to higher scoring games, it was also the general increase in possessions per game.

17. today

today Contributing Member

4th seed, 2nd round

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Not far if they don't get back their top 5 defense.

19. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i'll say but you all are thinking it. 82 wins. 1 championship. t-mac trying to sign for the vet-min next offseason.

1 person likes this.
  20. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

fixed