1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assessment of the current roster and question marks going in to next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jVgOwnsYou, Apr 20, 2010.

1. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

PG: Brooks, Lowry
    SG: Martin, Budinger, Taylor
    SF: Ariza, Battier
    PF: Scola, Hill, Jefferies
    C: Yao, Hayes, Anderson

FG Shooting: A
    Starting lineup contains 3 capable long range shooters in Brooks, Martin, and Ariza. Adding Yao will create more open looks to make a good 3 point shooting attack even better. I fully expect this team to finish in the top 5 in three point shooting next season.
    Scola is an active big who can pop out and shoot the mid range jumper at a high percentage and he is a good finisher around the basket as well. A healthy Yao can step out occasionally to hit the 18-footer, but it is his high percentage low post scoring that completes this team offensively.
    The first unit and the second unit can both run and score in transition. Shooting should no longer be a problem for this team.

Defense: C+
    Quite possibly the biggest question mark heading in to next season: What kind of impact will Yao's return have on the defense? Without him, the Rockets had no shot blocking and they allowed opponents to shoot 47.5 percent from the field.
    Brooks/Martin backcourt provides minimal resistance on the perimeter. Ariza, despite being a rangy defender, does not have the bulk to stay with some of the bigger wing scorers in the NBA. Scola defends with energy on pick and rolls, but does not have the athleticism to stop athletic PFs from getting inside. Yao's 7'6 prescense in the paint changes the game, but he may have trouble staying out of foul trouble if his teammates consistantly break down and allow penetration like they did this season.

Rebounding: A-
    Even without Yao, the Rockets finished near the top in offensive rebounding. Defensive rebounding will improve with the return of Yao.

Ball Handling/Passing: B-
    Team ball movement and player movement is above average, but back court struggles passing out of double teams and off of penetration.
    Starting linuep lacks a consistant decision maker in the backcourt. Too many turnovers and bad decisions at crucial times.

Bench Play: B+
    Adelman can bring a pure shooter off the bench in Budinger. Lowry runs the show well off of the bench, and provides a solid option for the Rockets if Brooks is struggling with his decison making. Anderson provides a long range shooting option at the 5 when needed.
    Battier, Hayes, Lowry, and Jefferies are 4 reserves who play stellar defense. Their deficiencies on the offensive end keep them from playing heavy minutes, but the team improves a great deal on the defensive end when these guys are on the floor. Will adding Yao give the lineup enough offensive fire power to play Battier, Hayes, and Lowry more minutes off of the bench?

Free throw shooting: A+
    With Yao, Martin, Lowry, and Brooks, the Rockets should take and make more FTs than any other team in the league. Yao, Martin, and Lowry are elite when it comes to drawing fouls, and Brooks shoots a high percentage when he gets there.

Coaching: A
    Despite roster turnover and injuries to key contributors, Adelman and the Rockets found a way to produce a winning season. The team has improved tremendously on the offensive end since RA has taken over, and aside from last year, the defense remained strong.
    Adelman is still one of the best in the business, but he needs to prove he can lead a team to a championship.

Conclusion:
    The Rockets have enough fire power to be a playoff team without making major moves in the offseason. To be a serious contender, however, they must regain their defensive identity.
    How many minutes can Yao handle when he returns, and is he capable of providing enough basket protection to catapult the Rockets back to elite status defensively? These are major question marks that may not be answered until next year's trading deadline.
    Even with the return of Yao, management must make it a priority to add a center capable of playing 25-30 minutes a game. If defensive problems carry over into next season, management can sacrifice some scoring to add shot blocking big or perimeter D.

Thoughts?

#1 jVgOwnsYou, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. Karolik

Karolik Member

A good defensive backup at center is necessary. 20-25 minutes per game for Yao will not bring us back to our former defensive identity..maybe not even close.

3. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

We need a starter quality Power Foward who can back up at the Center position. Maybe someone like Anthony Randolph or through the draft like Epke Udoh or Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe.

If Bosh is not available and either signs with Chicago or Miami, which I think is gonna happen, we need to get on the phone with Warriors GM, and ask them about Randolph. Dude is legit and under Dawson's and Sikma's tutalage, can become our future Center.

Since Nelly is a sucker for soft, jump shooting big men, offer them David Anderson and some other peices to match the salaries.

Something along the lines of Anderson + Taylor for Randolph + Morrow

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger/Morrow
    Ariza/Battier
    Scola/Hill/Randolph
    Yao/Randolph/Hayes

What you guys think?

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

GM: A+

This solves all of our other problems.

5. jVgOwnsYou

Morey has done a great job so far. That said, at some point you have to stop making moves and keep a team in tact in order to establish solidarity and trust on the court. Since Morey has been here, it seems like the roles of the players change significantly from year to year. I think the talent level of the team is fine now. It would be nice to see this group stay together and build chemistry over the course of next season without undergoing any drastic changes.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

You left out a major factor: Talent.

Rockets talent: B/B+, and that's WITH Yao. That's why we need to add a Bosh or perhaps a high lottery pick like Cousins to push it up to A range.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Morey, and I think this is obvious, constantly upgrades his players with the intention of trying to eventually trade for a star. I agree with you on keeping the roster intact, but you don't focus on that until you get your franchise player. Folks, we are down to one star and he's probably never going to be a 35 minutes a night player ever again. If the Rockets want to win a championship, it's Morey's task to keep tweaking the roster until get gets enough talent to trade for a star, so it's crazy to become to attached to any player until Morey reels in the big fish.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

You lost me when you included Ariza in the list of "capable long range shooters."
    Maybe two or three games a season! Most nights the boy can't hit a red barn with a brick bat.

9. jVgOwnsYou

He averaged about 2 threes a game and thats without Yao on the floor. His percentages went up when we added Martin which moved him back to his natural position. He got alot more spot up jumpers when playing the SF position, and he can hit them regularly if his feet are set.

He is not our best three point shooter, but he's certainly capable.

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Brad Miller will probably be our vet backup C next year. I just have a feeling that will happen. I also see a couple other guys being included in a sign and trade deal to bring in another all-star level talent (probably a post player). I see us getting a big in the draft as well. I think we also need one more guy that can attack the rim from the perimeter (J Taylor maybe??). Maybe Ariza continues to work on that part of his game this summer. I think he found out this year that he wasn't that good at it. I expect Hill to get better over the summer as well.

So just a couple of tweaks at the right backup postions and I think we will be ok.

11. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

As far as next season...the only thing i am concerned with is the perimeter defense. Offensively, we're fine...it's the perimeter defense of Brooks and Martin. How are we going to deal with team like Nuggets with Billup and Carmelo?? If we start Lowry, that'll solve eveything! But if we start Brooks and Martin, then we probably need to start Battier. I am afraid the perimeter defense will get a little too thin with Brooks, Martin and Ariza.

But i really like Ariza ability to drive and creat his own shot. He gives us another option if Yao is shut down in the post (by being fronted). If we start Battier, then we only have 2 options to go to...(most likey Brooks and Martin) . So what i am saying is...if Yao is shut down...and clock is running down and the ball ended up in Battier's hand, then we're dead meat cuz Battier is not someone that can create his own shot. It's better to have more options.

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Ok well I like all these threads talking about how good our roster is gonna be next year.. But, we don't even know if half the guys are still gonna be here. Bill Ingram from hoopsworld (a guy who knows A LOT about the Rockets and Mavs) held his weekly chat on Monday, and its interesting what he said. Look at the last question and reply on the chat... For some reason it won't let me post the whole link..

But just type in your browser www(.)hoopsworld(.)com then add this after that /chat.asp?chat_topics_id=908&status=Inactive

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Morey has gone on record saying even Yao isn't untouchable, so what makes this comment by Ingram surprising?

The reason it won't let you post it is because that site is often crap.

#13 Hayesfan, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Coaching doesn't deserve an A. The defensive concepts and lack thereof, deserves a C at best. Didn't rotate Shane or Ariza to player that was giving the Rockets fits. Didn't change up defenses to zone or man to man enough. Looked lost on trying to stop PnR. Didn't know if they were forcing to baseline or middle. Teams shot 47.5% against us, pure ridiculous!

15. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

The ambiguity of Yao's status really frustrates me. Simply due to the fact that where this team is heading relies so much on him.

I think at this point, we need more than just a vet back up center. We need a young new center we can develop into a beast. If Yao is healthy, then great, we'll have 2 awesome centers. If not, we can move anyways.

16. jVgOwnsYou

I don't think our problems this season on the defensive end were related to Adelmans scheme. We were a great defensive team with him at the helm for two straight seasons. I think our players just couldnt match up.

Putting out a starting lineup of Brooks, Martin, Ariza, Scola, and Hayes is giving up alot on the defensive end. None of those guys can fight off screens consistantly, and none of them can block or even bother shots. When your entire rotation of bigs consists of two offensive minded players(Scola, Anderson) a 6 foot 5 Center(Hayes), and a rookie(Hill), you're going to give up points especially when your starting back court weighs a combined 350 pounds.

17. Garner

Garner Member

I think no way in hell nelly trades in Randolph for Andersen.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

This was the last question