1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assessing the trade value of the Rockets players in terms of this Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 22, 2022.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Agree with Nook, I see Sengun as a guy off the bench guy who can initiate the offense there. Non defensive bigs just don't do much for me

PatBev, xtruroyaltyx and vator like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Agreed, which is why I am not disputing that we need to trade him. I just think some of the responses here about what people think he is worth is off. I would ask for a mid first rounder for sure for a talent like him.

Nook likes this.
  3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

The first page replies on KPJ are just as hilarious in retrospect as they were idiotic at the time. So much assertiveness on this board, especially among people who are the least well positioned to be so certain…

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I read the first page. Why is it hilarious regarding kpj?

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From a physical attributes perspective, Wood looks like he should be as switchable of a 7 footer as they come. He's pretty coordinated, can cheat with exceptional length, and shows good change of direction for a big.

It's all mental. Hopefully someone gambles that he can fit on a "winning" team.

Xopher likes this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

“conditional second”, “literally anything we can get”, “anything”

being somewhat disappointed with him then was fine. Ignoring his talent and selling/dumping for anything you could get was idiotic. Luckily the FO was not idiotic.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is the youngest player on the team and flashed moments of strong defense.
    He at the very minimum can be an above average defender that gives consistent effort.
    He’s a starter and potential all star level player because of his IQ and offensive game.

Very much 1b to Green 1a.

Add in Chet or Jabari and that is a strong nucleus of potential all stars with JC as a wild card.

8. Xopher

Xopher Member

Agree! Wood's issue isn't physical it is mental. For some reason he thinks he is the alpha. He seems to almost always switch the guy he is playing defense against to a guard or someone else. He is not a willing passer and wants to control everything. If he (or a coach) can resolve these issues then I would keep him. If not, he needs to go.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think he just needs time to get acclimated in being a starter, playing more against better competition. There's a lot of potential for this team if Sengun becomes an average defender because, like you said, his high IQ on the offensive end can open a lot of things up for this team.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He opens up so much for Green specifically as well. The screen/picks are elite level. The high post options with him passing are elite level. That just makes it easier for Green.

Then with some more development physically he can take some of the scoring load off of him as well.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

You guys are way overvaluing draft picks.

Sengun - His potential is worth a top 4 in this draft which no one will give you. So he is untradable.

Porter - See above. His potential is worthy of top 10 pick, no one will give that up. You have to let it ride another season.

Mathews, Martin, Tate - replacement level players on good contracts. I'd roll the dice on an early second rounder for Mathews. Martin and Tate would take an overpay to let go of.

Wood - Trade him for an up and coming player that fits better. Or combination player and first rounder. Or top 10 pick. Most of this board undervalues him because he doesn't fit a rebuilding team.

Gordan - hard to judge, an older starting level player. Probably trade him to a contender for a late first and an expiring contract, but I like him in the mentor roll.

#131 Agent94, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Plowman and Aruba77 like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Just to remind folks that Sengun was I think the youngest player on the team. The guy averaged like 9.5/5.5/2.5 + almost a steal and a block in just 20 min a game with no real help in the paint. Per 36 that’s on par with Mobley (not suggesting he’s as good as Mobley). Of course he’s gonna get bullied. Of course he needs to improve outside shooting. But he’s a willing defender; incredible flexibility for a big man. He’s going to get better on both ends.

But let’s just keep things in perspective. Those numbers are great for a young rookie big. Think about how good he can be in a few years. I wouldn’t trade him for anything less than a top 4 pick in this draft.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Mostly this for me as well.... Average defender may be his ceilimg But if he can get stout enough to where he can handle the bigger thiccs and rebound above average defensively than he should end up a plus.

I think he is a starter and I'm content to build around the starting core of KPJ/Green/Sengun while we outfit that with length, defense and shooting. We will know so much more a year from now. Especially in regards to KPJ.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If nobody will give you the pick you want for your players, it doesn't mean the rest of the world has overvalued picks, it means you've overvalued your players, lol.

I'm a huge Sengun fan, but he wasn't worth a top 5 pick before, and he isn't worth a top 5 pick now.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How high a pick is worth depend on the draft. You can't just give it a value in the vacuum. Last year's draft was way better than this year's. Last year's top 10 picks would be much more valuable than this year's.

Sengun was #11 in last year's deep draft. He has shown that he is worthy of that pick. If I was to trade him for this year's picks, I'd ask for at least a top 10, maybe higher.

The difference between a player who has played at least a season in the NBA and a draft pick is that you get to see how the player fairs in real NBA games while the draft pick is pretty much just an educated guess.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Sengun wouldn't net a top 5 pick but likely would net somethimg b/w 7-12.

Caesar likes this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

Good thread to bump. Definitely some over optimistic hopes for Wood.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Late to the party but this is mine. For Wood, I probably would've said Late Lottery but that's me thinking him plus #17 gets us a lottery pick back.