1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assessing the Potential Value of a Trade Package for Our Next Star Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

My apologies in advance for the long post, I tried to organize my thoughts as best I could and as succinctly as possible.

I'm of the belief that the next couple years are really about maturing our very young team and preparing for the future. As a result, I'm not disappointed at all with where we're at and think we're actually doing great for where we are in the rebuilding process. Give this team time to develop before we start giving up on what we hope our players can become and calling for coaching changes in mid season.

A discussion in the Kevin Love thread started me thinking about what it would take to trade for guy like Kevin Love. Currently we have very little to offer Minnesota for a guys like Love in trade (compared to what other teams can offer RIGHT NOW). In addition, I seriously can't see Minnesota trading a guy like Love (or Portland trading a guy like LA) this season or even next.

Purpose
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss the potential market value that can be developed of the players and other assets we have, in the economy of the nba over the next two years. It's no secret we are looking to acquire one more major key piece to pair with Harden (a tier 1 superstar or tier 2 perennial all star....my personal hope is that he's targeting Love but who knows). I know players don't like to be considered an "asset" and being considered so could threaten team chemistry, but this is a micro-economy where players and their contracts are THE commodity to facilitate improvement of every NBA team. Being an NBA professional means understanding this reality in the NBA economy. Every player should be considered a tradable piece to be parlayed into something of higher value if 1) the team is not at a serious contender level and 2) the opportunity presents itself. The only players exempt from this are ones that are considered to already be at the highest value in this NBA economy (super star players). I want to re-emphasize that I'm 100% thrilled with where our players are at right now (well maybe except for Royce) and love to see them develop, but unless one of these guys makes serious strides to become a top talent we should be looking to constantly improve to roster.

In order to obtain such a level of player, we'd need to either attract one in free agency or trade for one when he becomes available.

Assumptions
    For the purpose of focusing this thread discussion, lets assume:
    1) that we'll have to go the route of trading for such a player
    2) everyone on the roster is tradable except for harden.

Personally I'm looking to the year before the 2015 free agency as THE year to make a major move since a number of tier 1 & 2 players become FA's and teams knowing they might lose their players to free agency will be more inclined to trade them. So also assume that:

3) the acquisition of a top tier talent isn't feasible right now in trade given the value we have on the roster. Therefore we have a 2 year window to accumulate and develop the pieces needed to make such a trade.

I'm curious to see what kind of trade package Clutchfans thinks we can realistically put together in that time frame.

Development of Assets Necessary to Trade for a Star Player
    There are several categories that all valuable and tradable assets in the NBA market fall into. Acquiring Harden (not even regarded in the NBA market as a certain top tier talent at the time of trade) took a team pressured to move a potential star, a valuable quality veteran replacement in KMart used to match salaries and as an expiring contract, a young prospect in Lamb, and valuable picks (primarily the Toronto Pick).

In order to put together a package that would be attractive to MOST teams needing to move their star player before losing them for nothing, the questions are:

A) Which combination of these categories should the Rockets be investing into over the next couple years in order to get both maximum value and versatility of assets in a trade package?

B) What kind of value could realistically be developed in each of these categories over the next couple years in order to acquire our second star player to build around?

Picks: High picks are obviously what every team wants. If the Rockets make the playoffs this year or the next, they could offer their 1st round pick in 2015 and 2017 having satisfied their obligation to Atlanta, although those picks would most likely be late rounders if the star player we trade for makes us a legit championship contender as it should. We could trade one of our solid starters on valuable contracts for a potentially high pick with limited protection (similar to Lowry's trade). I think any of Parsons, Ppat, or MM could fit the bill if it came to that, assuming they continue to progress as we hope they will over the next couple years. We could also rent out our cap space to teams in luxury tax hell by taking a few expiring contracts off their books in exchange for quality picks. Between all these various ways of acquiring picks, we could feasibly package up these picks to move up a little more in the draft for one high quality pick. How high of a draft pick do you think we could acquire in 2 years?

Young Prospects/Rookies: If we make the playoffs this year or next, we could draft a 1st rounder from the 2013 or 2014 draft. Include possibly finding a gem in the 2nd round and these might constitute a few good young prospects with meaningful trade value. Where do you think we'll be in draft order in the next couple years?

Solid role players: By the summer of 2015, our current rookies will be in their 3rd year. Hopefully anyone of the 1st or 2nd year players now (TJones, Dmo, Morris, Smith.......white:() could turn into good quality starters. Dmo might even have some borderline all star value if he develops the way everyone hopes he does. Perhaps in order to assess the value you think each of these players will have in 2 years, what draft order pick do you think each is worth in trade?

Expiring contracts: Some teams might be looking to get more money off their books to get under the extremely punitive luxury tax threshold or simply looking to clear space to sign someone in FA. Asik and Lin would both be expiring contracts after 2015. We might also have a few other expiring contracts as well from letting other teams rent our cap space.

Tier 2 all-star or Tier 3 borderline all-star caliber players: Having the cap space now and possibly more so next year, we could feasibly sign a very good player (Josh Smith, Millsap, etc). I don't think any of these caliber of players gets us to championship contender status, but they'll certainly make us better and more importantly, they'd be a valuable consolation piece in any trade for that top tier talent. Should we use cap space this off season or next to sign a borderline all-star or hold onto it for other purposes?

Cap Space: If we don't sign that borderline all-star this off season or next and we have the cap space, we could also take back bad contracts back from teams looking to unload those contracts when trading their star player. Is it more valuable to keep cap space available for this purpose, to sign a quality player in 2015 FA, or renting it out for picks or solid players?

I personally think it's best to invest in

1) Acquiring a high value lottery pick (between 3 - 10 if we can get one of that quality)
    +
    2) One or two young prospects with good upside
    +
    3) Acquiring an all-star or near all-star talent with enough salary to be able to match the player we trade for

Personally I think that's more than enough to get a deal done and one should hope that DM can trade for a top tier talent for less under the right market conditions. It took DM 2-3 years to get all the pieces needed to pull off a trade for Harden (or what we all thought would be Dwight last year). I think 2.5 more years and he can pull enough together to get us a second star to go with Harden. Once you have your "2 Stars" locked up, it'll be easier to get quality players on good value contracts from that point on in my opinion. Hopefully there will be enough pieces after such a trade to put a legitimate contender on the floor by the 2015-2016 season.

I'm curious to hear what trade package others think it'll take and what's realistic to accumulate in the window of opportunity that we have with Harden.

What ever the combination might be, I'm thoroughly excited about the Rockets future as I believe this organization is positioned extremely well to make serious moves to get us to championship contention. Our future looks bright.....

- Rox>Mavs (a Rockets Only Fan)

1 person likes this.
  2. nono

nono Member

Don't want to wait till 2015. That's too far away and I bet we'll have our guy well before that.

3. arjun

arjun Member

It will take Patterson, Parsons, and a combination of draft picks and young players like Terrence Jones to get a deal done. Plus any other player like Delfino who may provide cap relief.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

My personal opinion of the worth of Rockets players as of right now.

Tier 1: Parsons, Asik
    Tier 2: Motiejunas, our 1st round pick this season if we're in the lottery
    Tier 3: Jones
    Tier 4: Patterson, Morris

That's it. For a player of Love's caliber, I imagine it would take Parsons, Asik, and our 1st rounder if don't make the playoffs, Motiejunas if we do, and extra 1st rounders in the future + maybe Patterson or Morris. Harden came with a price tag of a 12th pick, a ~5-10 pick, and Kevin Martin who was ironically incredibly valuable for that particular team. But draft picks are more versatile than players, so IMO it would require more if we just go with players.

5. Rox>Mavs

That'd be great, but how do you think such an acquisition could realistically take place? Who would you try to sign in FA this summer or next and with what cap space? And if you'd trade for one, what do you think could currently get a deal done on our current roster right now? I don't think any team would trade a star player for what we have on the roster as of now.

6. Rox>Mavs

I completely agree, I'd rather try to acquire picks as they're more versatile and therefore we'd have to give up less.

7. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

Well i think we can all agree that currently we are tapped out of trade assets and need to develop what we have, namely Dmo and Jones. Ideally im hoping that we trade for Millsap or Aldridge at the deadline this year for that number 2 "star". After all is said and done we can hopefully package enough talent around whoever we trade for this year and other assets (picks and current players) for Kevin Love. While 2015 sounds like a long way away, its pretty much the most feasible and realistic way to become a contender in the smallest amount of time. We should consider ourselves lucky that we arent rotting like most other small market teams (even though were the 4th largest city in the US :confused: and apparently the coolest city?http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganb...-our-list-of-americas-coolest-cities-to-live/ )

8. jvu

jvu Member

Develop players. sign love/aldridge in 2015. Think Cleveland's Irving may recruit love though.. They are Pepsi uncle drew team.

9. jvu

jvu Member

Not down to trade parsons mang..

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Love to Cleveland? lol, have you ever been to Cleveland?

11. thekad

thekad Member

Yeah, seems like the 2014 season is a good time to pull a Harden-type trade with K. Love positioning himself to leave Minnesota after that season.

Also, an interesting idea that a Josh Smith might be valuable to Minnesota (or whoever) in a trade for Love (or some other star). Not sure Morey agrees with that position, but I can see how Minnesota's management might want to try to compete with Rubio/Smith/AK47 rather than try to rebuild again around Rubio and whatever picks/prospects they could land in a Love trade.

And this makes it more crucial that we free up playing time for Motiejunas and Jones. We need to find out what we have.

12. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

What's wrong with Cleveland? Sorry I don't know anything about Cleveland.

13. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

14. Rox>Mavs

Unless a team like Minnesota is pressured to move Love because Love has demanded to be traded specifically to us, I think the price tag for Love will have to be higher than Parsons, PPat and Picks. If Parson becomes an All-Star in the next couple years, then maybe but I think that package would be over-valued in the eyes of most teams.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Both players will go in trade most likely a year before they hit free agency. This is the way the NBA works for max contract players. If they do not plan on signing long term after their contract is up, them or their agents let the team know so they can A. move to a team they do want to sign with early so they can B. Retain their bird rights when they re-sign with the team they are currently with post trade.... meaning more $ for the player if traded beforehand.

-Aldridge's contract is up at the end of the 2014/15 season. Meaning, if he's still worth a max contract after then(doubtful), Portland can keep him as late as February 2015 before the trade deadline to move him to the team he as indicated he would sign a max extension with in the Summer.

-Kevin Love has a player option for the 2015/16 season. Most likely Love will command a max contract in free agency, and will decline that player option the year before making him an unrestricted free agent. Again, the T-Wolves could essentially wait until the Feb 2015 trading deadline to move Love if they felt he wasn't going to re-sign with them and get a bounty of assets in trade.

So, in the situation of these two players, the power lies in the hands of the teams they are with for at least two more years. If you wanted to trade for either player, its going to take a BOUNTY of assets. Most likely more than what they gave up in the Harden trade.

Short term Focus for Morey going into the Trade Deadline- The Rockets have ample opportunity this trade deadline to use the expiring contract of Aldrich, Cook, Douglas, and the team option contract of Delfino to go after 1st round picks for taking on additional salary of teams over the cap in exchange that pick & a player that's also expiring.

The Rockets have trade worthly complete player pieces in Parsons, Asik, & possibly even Lin. They have some enticing rookies in Jones & D-Mo, and some intriguing young contributors in Smith, Patterson, & Morris. They have the previously mentioned expiring contracts. Lastly they also have 7.5 mil in cap space.

The only thing they are missing is tradeable draft picks. Since I dont see much on the market right this second, I fully anticipant Morey to use all of the expiring contracts to trade in February for even just a couple draft picks.

-Lets just say that potentially gives Morey 1 first round pick, 2 second round picks, the Rockets first round pick(assuming they miss the playoffs), and whatever players are necessary to make the deal work. Summer of 2013, Morey should then have the assets to pull off a major blockbuster. Right now, he just needs to focus on wheeling and dealing come February. Because they MUST get picks for those expirings at the deadline if they want to be players this Summer in a blockbuster.

Play their cards right, and they might have two first rounders to center their trade around. That's enough to get the conversation started on a major target that hits the open market. I think Love & Aldridge are a year premature, so Morey might actually go for future picks that might not mature until 2014 or 2015 to allow them to carry over, but there still might be some names that come out of nowhere that Morey needs to be ready for in trade this Summer.

#15 dobro1229, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I dont see how we can prognosticate on what we might be able to do in 2015. It's too far into the future and there are too many variables. I think the best you can do is look at the team's assets right now and guess at what we might be able to accomplish this coming offseason.

At the deadline, we'll be one of 3 three teams with cap-space to absorb salaries from a team that wants to blow up the roster. There's an opportunity there to acquire a star. In the offseason, we don't have max cap space, but we're close and probably could make a trade to get max cap space, or otherwise use the space to take on another team's star that wants to leave. That's opportunity #2 there. The draft could have been another opportunity, but the Rockets are playing too well right now to capitalize on it.

That's pretty unfortunate, imo, because the chance that Morey snags someone on #1 and #2 is pretty small. We might have the financial flexibility to deal with a counterparty for a star, but we haven't got a whole lot in proven talent to send back. Harden is obviously off the table, there's some restrictions on trading Lin & Asik because they were signed as RFAs, it'd be hard to part with Asik in any case because good centers are so hard to find, Royce White is radioactive, and our draft pick is encumbered. Otherwise we've got Parsons and a couple of rookies who haven't shown anything yet.

So, you may be right that 2015 is a realistic timeframe. I'm sure Morey will take a swing every deadline, every draft, and every offseason. But, it may take a couple of seasons of the slow accumulation of assets to have something to score with.

17. izeroi

izeroi Member

Can't say I've been there but from what I've seen from video footage and pictures that place looks dead.

18. dje243

dje243 Member

I truly believe that D-mo's development at the 4 is integral for the team's success. Either he blossoms and we keep him, or he stagnates and he's a moderately valuable trade piece. I think he's a perfect fit for this offense, especially paired with Asik.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Agreed. Even as a trade piece skilled 7 footers have excellent value. As a part of this team moving forward he has the skills to be that player eventually. He has a long way to go, but I agree he could be a very important player for the Rockets moving forward.

20. dje243

dje243 Member

Not to mention the fact that D-Mo CONSISTENTLY blows up lesser competition. The guy needs NBA minutes. I'm glad Morris is getting burn while Patterson is hurt but I wish Dmo could start coming off the bench at least. To me, with a guy like D-Mo, he has to see his weaknesses in order to fix them. If you tell him he's not NBA ready and he never plays in NBA games he'll just assume you're wrong. He needs to get "thrown to the wolves" a little bit so he can exerience getting knocked around by bigs that know how to play defense. But obviously Morris building value is a good thing. I just don't see Morris as having a longterm effect on this team, other than through trade. I would love to be proven wrong though. It's possible that he could end up playing at the 3 if Parsons were ever moved for another star, but given his development I think that would be a mistake. I would move Asik before Parsons.