1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assange on Facebook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, May 2, 2011.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Are you talking about any random computer, or something setup by Facebook themselves? Facebook, or any organization that Facebook has given access to, can easily find if your name is tagged in a photo. Random internet stalkers not so much.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Unless the computer was programmed by someone with an in with Facebook (say a VERY good hacker, a government agency, or Facebook itself), or was logged into an account that had enough friends for every photo album concerning the person to be accessible, it would be impossible to gather all of the data---and kinda fruitless too. in the end, most likely, you're stuck with pictures of your target playing pickup basketball.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Yeah sorry, I meant within Facebook.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'll try to avoid having pictures of my head in the snatch at the next bachelor party

not that it really matters

5. rhadamanthus

For Northside, regarding the idea of using computers to hammer through images....

From Forbes:

6. rhadamanthus

Ever wonder how much data Facebook (which tracks you even after you log out, btw) stores about you?

About 800 pages worth.

Holy cow.

Screenshot of the index of one such document:

[​IMG]

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm not defending facebook either way but I would assume all this has to do with advertising. its how they make money so they have to keep detailed info on users

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wait, people are actually complaining about a site that they use to post status updates, biographical information, location, and photos of themselves actually having those things ON FILE???

(sigh)

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly, non issue

there was this guy robbing people up in wisconsin because he would check facebook to see when people went on vacation

10. rhadamanthus

I'm not complaining or even blaming facebook per say (certainly, some of their information collection borders on shady, but that's not really the point).

However, folks should understand what they're doing, and who has virtually free access to that data. Thus the reason I posted the "800 pages" bit in this particular thread. We can debate forever if it's facebook's "fault" that folks stupidly share private information on the internet - what I don't think we can debate is that it's important for people to realize the risks involved and protect themselves accordingly.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

blah. i'm over facebook.

privacy concerns + creepy people just make it so not worth it.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Facebook is another example that in visions of a dystopian future Huxley has trounced Orwell.

13. rhadamanthus

Assange was right. Hat-tip to Snowden.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

15. rhadamanthus

Despite facebook's protests, Assange was more than just right, he was absolutely prophetic.

Understand of course that "lawful government requests" in an era of non-existent FISA courts is, as Assange pointed out, an enormously convenient spying machine. Quoting the OP:

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Exactly, some people care less about being tracked for market research than connecting and communicating with friends.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If the NSA or our corporate overlords need Facebook to know that I: tell bad jokes with great frequency, own a dog, like The Onion, won bets for Matt Schaub's pick six record, and am married to Mrs. B-Bob, I don't know what to say. I also post a lot of false "likes" on Facebook, and I still recommend that to anyone. (It is very funny to watch the advertisers struggle to meet your new interests.)

When I join super-secret organizations, even some through Cthulufans, I mean Clutchfans, I don't post about it, anywhere.

I'm not saying this isn't a big deal, rhad. It's a huge overreach by government, IMHO, and it serves as just one more nail in the coffin that is the obvious conclusion that we entered a technical Oligarchy some time ago.

I'm just saying a lot of people use Facebook for things that aren't going to be harmful to them via government. More harmful to them via potential employers, coworkers, etc. IMHO.

If people are in meaningful underground political orgs, I doubt they "friend" their associates on FB, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

18. bigtexxx

Do you care about the IRS targeting you for your beliefs/positions? That happened under the Obama administration...

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's some weak bait right there. This here is a shark, okay, and you are dangling like a two-week old dead night crawler. FAIL.

20. bigtexxx

So in other words you have to hide behind humor to avoid addressing the content of my post.