1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assange on Facebook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, May 2, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that could happen but at the same time you can use the power of social media to try and counter act that.

2. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

That's exactly why China or every other country should ban google, facebook, Yahoo and twitter. These CIA tools will do no good to anyone.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

opps. accidentally stumbled into a thread of kooks. I'll see myself out, thanks.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess so, but we're playing under house odds with liberties (in this case, privacy laws that required court orders to get past) that we assumed we had.

you'll see...you'll see...you'll see...

5. Invisible Fan

Apparently since post 9/11, the NSA already performs warrantless domestic surveillance taps on a huge scale through a program (or neutered variant) called ThinThread.

Put this as a mighty un-Like on the Facebook and watch the power of social media counteract this!!

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/23/110523fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=3

The rest of the article goes into the government's ridiculous crusade to hunt and prosecute potential leakers of the NYTimes warrantless wiretapping story (thus crippling First Amendment press rights through the guise that passing confidential info carries the intent for espionage), Roarke the former staffer in the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and finally Drake, who they later reduced the charges to petty bull**** that can still land him 35 years.

Other stuff from the article...Obama's use of the Espionage Act to prosecute whistleblowers (5) is more than all of the other past presidents combined.

The NSA in 6 hours, can download communications data equivalent to the entire contents of the Library of Congress.

Great thing we get to use the Twitter for these kinds of issues. I just wrote up a one sentence thesis about this after my post-mortem twit dissecting last night's chili.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

^ LOL. How was that chili?

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

8. Invisible Fan

@NotInMyHouse: Fire in the Hole

9. rhadamanthus

Moderately on topic:

I saw parts of the frontline special on wikileaks....what a load of propagandized crap.

Greg Mitchell:

#29 rhadamanthus, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  10. rhadamanthus

Oh yeah, nothing with the potential for outrageous abuse here...

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Unfortunately Mark Zuckerberg doesn't believe in the concept of privacy.

12. rhadamanthus

So let's say you're not on facebook, but your friends and family tag your face in some pictures. There is nothing you can do about it.

And now, is it possible that you will auto-tagged with the facial recognition software for eternity with no recourse? It would be almost like having a 3rd-party "ghost" account of yourself on the site. This makes me very uncomfortable.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My understanding is that you can't be "tagged" unless you are on facebook as the tag is like a link that links to your Facebook page. Also if you aren't on Facebook I don't know how they can get the base information to program into the facial recognition.

Your friends and family could still just list you in the caption to the photos.

14. rhadamanthus

That was not my understanding. Can anyone here confirm if you can tag non-facebook members in photos on facebook? I have reasons to be suspicious....

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

You can tag non-members, but it's not a link or anything, it's pretty much a caption. Someone determined enough to look you up (say a private eye after your vast amount of riches, or a psychotic stalker girl you need to dump NOW) will be able to link multiple photos to you---but there's no comprehensive page that this leads to (since you don't have a Facebook). but honestly, most people just use the "non-members" features to tag ridiculous things and inside jokes, so most likely all of it is going to be lost. It would take someone truly determined to try to link together a set of pictures that do not link to each other, or are search-able in anyway.

Unless the CIA/NSA/FBI were following you or "THAT WOMAN BE CRAZYYYYY!", you've got little to worry about. and honestly, the only thing this could be used for assuming someone actually went to all the effort---is to gauge the awesomeness or shi**yness of the parties you attend.

16. rhadamanthus

Or, perhaps, a computer programmed to perform such a feat?

Thanks for the info.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

It would be difficult for a computer to yield any really useful results. The vast majority of photos have some sort of privacy setting and to see it you have to have permission, either from the person that uploaded it or possibly from somebody tagged in it. A computer would be limited to viewing photos with no privacy settings. Given enough time it may be able find a photo of you, but it would have to go through a ton of profiles looking for photos.

18. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Would have to be a damn good computer, that could pierce through the fact that someone's face might be tagged "drunk *******" on some pictures or "<3" on others or "WTF IS THIS GUY AND WHAT IS HE DOING HERE."

honestly, unless you're doing obviously criminal activities, and have friends stupid enough to record these things and upload them online, well---you have little to nothing to fear.

the only close shave I know of is a girl who had to pretty much delete half the s*** on her wall because her ultra-religious grandma just got on Facebook. she was the exception, not the rule.

19. rhadamanthus

I don't believe that for a second.

20. SunsRocketsfan

now you know two.. I also dont have a facebook acct