1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian stereotypes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 17, 2014.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

It is funny how much people's views are influenced by who they are and where they came from. People spend paragraphs upon paragraphs arguing, articulating and name calling, and think they own some sort of objective view and truth over others.

In the end, no one is convincing anyone. That's why talking about politics sucks.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're right there is no such thing as objective truth to history but that doesn't make people's viewpoints important and as this thread shows history has a bearing on current issues.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

But you must recognize the fact that someone who identifies themselves as both Japanese and Fascist (which you do) might be reasonably interpreted as such.

Although, I do sympathize with your point about arguing with an idiot. I myself have ended up badly representing myself and my beliefs when arguing/debating with people operating at a low level of discourse. (This paragraph is sincere by the way. Rereading it, it sort of seemed like I was intending it as an insult or something -- but, while I disagree categorically with your political views, that is not the case).

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

True. And I have conceded that it was a mistake to say that. That doesn't stop dback from bringing it up every other post.

Oh, hey, this is sort of like the Japanese-Chinese dispute just wrought out on an individual level. :cool:

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

RJ - I think the main differnences in my mind are due to GDP per capita. For example, China 20 years ago are very different from China today. People are the same, what has changed? Of course, there could predetermined culture, weather, natural resource factors coimg to play for the GDP growth, but to me wealth changes everything in turn. There are catholic countries like the Phillipines, but hardly one could generalize there is a common characteristic between them, I think. Wealth explains a lot of things in Asia.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

If I misunderstood your arguments, I appologize, but you sounded pretty appologitic about Japan's past. Of course, you have a right to do that, given your background.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it does and I think I made that point when I said that most Chinese are only one generation removed from abject poverty.

Anyway as I said I don't like to generalize but this is a thread about generalizations so just relaying my own experiences.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

If you took no pride or joy in that segment of history, perhaps you shouldn't have used it as an insult or so proudly declared that it was "We" that did the conquering.

Don't get me wrong, I would happily applaud for some of your posts made in some other topics. But you have consistently been a b**** when it comes to WW2

I am incredibly stupid for posting more than once in this thread. ATW is probably masturbating over the poo fling that has happened here.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

:confused:

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Perma-Obana for creating this image without a warning or spoiler or something.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have not read this thread in it's entirety, since I am a very busy person but has anyone mentioned that all Asians are good at maths. In grade school, I had an Asian classmate who wasn't good at math so I called him a fake Asian. Then he karate kicked me in the nose. Since that day I not only respect but also fear all Asians.

12. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

That's a rookie error bro. I mean, you knew he wasn't good at math already. Rule 101 for Asians: If they aren't good at math, they're going to be a martial arts master.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is only an American stereotype mainly due to the fact that Asian Americans aren't representative of Asians in general. This doesn't exist in Asia.

Of course, the reason being that all Asians are good at math and therefore they aren't better or worse than each other. ;)

14. ling ling

ling ling Member

Sorry, I got the respect incorrect.

Burping is a sign of respect for the chef.
    Farting is a mating call for the gay guys.

The guy just reached out and blew you a kiss. :p

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

From NYT on the first lady's trip to China

SMH ... I sucked at two of the three quintessentially Chinese specialties. :p

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What you only know how to play table tennis? :grin:

1 person likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

By the word count, you'd think grades are being handed out for these essays...