1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian stereotypes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 17, 2014.

1. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Bigtexxx, we HKers see Chinese tourists pee and **** on the street every single day.

2. Dei

Dei Member

Are they just like that or is it envy that HK is westernized?

3. dback816

dback816 Member

Yes, and? Peace must mean something else in that inferior British dictionary of yours.

Obviously they are envious, that's why they kill each other so you can laugh at dead Asians as that seems to be a hobby of yours :)

4. VanityHalfBlack

The new ones are they go missing in planes (rimshot)!!

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

that sounds delightful

a guy I know (Indian guy) who used to work for a food distributor once told me never to eat at a "mom and pop" Chinese restaurant because they don't keep things clean/sanitary.

6. vcchlw

In short, they are just like that.

In a more sophisticated answer, there are a variety of reasons:

1. Official Chinese propaganda coined this phenomenon as "cultural difference". It's partly true, because some kids in China dressed like this to facilitate the "culture" of ****ting on the street:

[​IMG]

2. Inferiority complex. Many Chinese feels that after years of copying HK capitalist system and receiving technical and financial support from HK, it's time to show that we Chinese are the real master (colonizer) of HKers. There's a widespread belief among Chinese tourists that "without us visiting HK and buying stuff to support your economy, you HKers are dead". That patronizing mindset made many Chinese tourists have the audacity to do something that they normally wouldn't do somewhere else.

#66 vcchlw, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Not to diminish US losses during WWII, but those guys invaded and occupied Korea for 35 years, committing all sorts of atrocities I don't need to go into... their attempts to invade go back hundred of years also...

It's just taken us a little longer to get over it, that's all!

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

My two cents, as someone who have lived in China for 6+ years and talked to many people. But still this is hardly enough of a sample size to be worth generalizing. But my thoughts nonetheless. And overall Communist China is masterful at this.

1. There is definitely government propaganda involved in hatred of Japan among the youth. Governments like to point to outside forces to distract the populace from domestic issues. I understand it no matter which country does it.

2. From what I've read about Japanese occupation of WW2 history, I really cannot dismiss any of the hatred. I mean, if the US was ever invaded by another country decades ago, massacred much of the people, I probably would feel some hate rationally or irrationally.

3. I have heard from a few of the older people who have lived during WWII. These are first hand account, and most certainly not filtered by any government media. And I feel like they're describing events out of a book or a movie. Surreal to me. Make me feel like how I have lived a blessed life by growing up in a peaceful, stable environment. And that whenever someone who has a relative or personally went through WWII speaks bad about the Japanese, even if I disagree, I cannot really say they're "wrong." Because I can't possibly know how they feel.

9. mingthething

mingthething Member

Yet every nerd in those countries loves Japanese tentacle p*rn, Gundam and J-pop. They also buy Japanese cars, Japanese electronics, hell, even Japanese daily goods and fashiion which are perceived as being of better quality. Witness the growth of Uniqglo and Daiso.

10. mingthething

mingthething Member

Koreans love to play Tekken, which is a game made by Namco, a company based in .......

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

My wife's from Hawaii. It's basically an asian melting pot. She has some pretty vicious opinions about other asian races, her being Japanese. I'll try to get some direct information from her... I could paraphrase now, but I might inject my own stereotypes which would be unfair to her. In Hawaii, it's mostly Japanese, Korean, Chinese (least), and Filipino (most). She has opinions on native Hawaiians too...

About Koreans specifically, I can mostly explain. She feels they're very fake, focused on material goods. They all drive Mercedes, according to her, and love luxury handbags. Appearance is everything to Koreans.

12. vcchlw

I agree with everything you said. There is no denying that Japanese occupation in China during the WWII was atrocious. Nanking Massacre alone killed some 300,000 people. Anyone who had experiences in that era had every right to express their hate against invading Japan. What is special about China is that the generation who endured the WWII then experienced decades of personal misfortune in a series of events including national war with KMT, Great Leap Forward (some 30 million people died due to famine), Cultural Revolution (millions of people killed) etc. Even if they managed to survive, they did not have the opportunity and freedom to express their emotion against Japan.

However, years after Deng Xiaoping opened up China, Chinese became wealthier and enjoyed much more freedom than before. Youths who received nationalistic education are not shy away from expressing their hatred against Japan and they are relatively free to do so. Current youths are already two generations after those who experienced Japanese occupation. Yet the anti-Japanese sentiment in China is currently at all-time high. I would say propaganda played a key role here.

#72 vcchlw, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'd say the US got more than even when they freaking NUKED japan. would be silly to still be sour about pearl harbour

14. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

There is some truth to this. They do say Koreans will live in a dump just to drive around in a luxury car. Then again, who doesn't? I'm pretty sure the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses" didn't originate from Korea. My theory is that it is one of the side-effects of the rapid economic development of the country (from literally nothing to an Asian powerhouse within the space of several decades). The influx of sudden wealth and prosperity inevitably brings greed and materialism, and other vices.

15. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The mainland government increases or decreases the rhetoric depending on how it suits their needs.

Also, as another poster pointed out, the US nuked Japan twice, so to say you've 'moved on' from that is kind of an understatement. A nuke is a great way to move on.

16. Katsu

Katsu Member

Filipinos tend to circle jerk and are super loud. And they're very likely to create armies of drones spamming 'pinoy pride' online.

Singaporeans end every verbal and written sentence in 'lah'.

I find HKers tend to be louder than other Chinese, with the exception of Shanghainese.

Japanese are paler than the rest.

Koreans have the smallest
    eyes.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't compare what Japan did to the U.S. in WWII with what happened to other Asian nations.

Japan didn't occupy the U.S. force U.S. citizens to drop their own names and adopt Japanese names, force members of the U.S. to drop their religion, and worship the way the Japanese forced them to. Japan didn't feed poisoned fruit to the general population in the U.S. while they were occupying it.

Things like that might have a different effect than a bombing as horrible as that was.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

They also had "rape stations" set up where Japanese soldiers could go rape Korean women (I'm sure this happened in other Asian countries too where they occupied). My grandmother had to be in a fake loveless marriage (because they only wanted to rape virgins, they would not take married women). Her husband was eventually killed by a Japanese soldier for no reason.

They also conducted atrocious experiments on live humans, just like the Nazi's did.

Their government alter their history books to mask all the horrors they caused and Japan as a state has never recognized the atrocities and apologized for them.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, that kind of stuff is absolutely awful. It was a dark moment in history all right.

20. Nook

Nook Member

According to Korean associate attorney in my office:

Chinese are disgusting animals that have no personal hygiene and will piss and crap in the street, Further they have no manners and a serious inferiority complex.

Filipinos are the mud people of Asia.

Japanese view themselves as superior to other Asians, they don't realize their culture has been destroyed by the USA.

Koreans are drunks that hit their women and love boy bands.

1 person likes this.