1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian stereotypes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Only ATW would get asked about what one culture thinks of another and the first thing that pops into his mind is.....LET'S RESEARCH STEREOTYPES!

1 person likes this.
  2. itstheyear3030

It's a good thing they didn't ask about Muslims.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Japanese brutal colonization was prevalent in most part of Asia. That's for sure. But if you talk about the feeling of the current post-war generation of Asians, only Chinese and Koreans still have strong emotions against the Japanese, in my opinion. I have family and friends in Taiwan, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia and most of them have positive or at least neutral feelings towards Japanese culture and Japanese people. People in Taiwan and Hong Kong love Japan. Even Koreans secretly admire Japanese culture even though they say they hate it.

#24 vcchlw, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  5. vcchlw

Haha that's for sure. A new era of authoritarian rule after the British left in 1997 wouldn't help either.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

This was a ridiculous thread to begin with but this post is probably the funniest one I've seen in ages.

7. vcchlw

Funny? Do you know how many Koreans actually speak Japanese? Do you know Taiwanese people made one of the biggest donations to Japan after the 3-11 earthquake?

I have lived in Hong Kong for 30+ years and traveled to Taiwan 20+ times in numerous business and personal trips. If you think it's funny, please educate me with your incredible knowledge.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's why stereotypes are stereotypes. Taiwanese perception of Japan depends on whomever you ask and whether they received the brunt of colonialism. I wouldn't say there's outright love for the Japanese unless you hang around old people who can't speak Mandarin.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that purely depends on who you ask in Taiwan

There's a lot of Taiwanese with a boner for Japaneses people because Taiwan was colonized by Japan a hella long ago.

But there's also Taiwanese people that absolutely demise the Japanese like my grand Aunt and Uncle who fought against the Japanese in WW2 and also witnessed some ****ed up stuff Japanese Soldiers did.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Maybe my understanding of the word sterotype is wrong, but I tend to feel stereotypes as something like Texans wearing cowboy hat and boots, or that Asians all have slanted eyes and speak awkward English like you see on South Park or something. Not whether a culture hate another culture. Americans hating Muslims to me, isn't so much a stereotype as more of a generalization that's unfortunately more true than it should be.

11. vcchlw

I don't agree. Younger generations in Taiwan still have a strong pro-Japan sentiment. Japanese is the second most studied foreign language in Taiwan after English and many Taiwanese people visit Japan to travel and study. The pro-Japan sentiment is clearly evidenced by Taiwanese's generous help to Japan after the 3-11 earthquake. Taiwanese people made 20 billion yen (around 250 million USD) donations to victims of 3-11 earthquake in 2011. It was the the biggest donation by any nation in the world. The amount of donation was enormous especially considering the fact that Taiwan is a middle-income country with a population of merely 20 million.

Apart from financial support, Taiwanese tourists are also among the first to visit Japan after the earthquake even when the threat of nuclear leakage is not completely eliminated. Even Japanese PM Shinzo Abe repeatedly thanked Taiwanese people for their generosity and support.

For those who can actually read traditional Chinese, Wikipedia has a very detailed description of Taiwan's strong support of Japan after the 3-11 earthquake:

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/臺灣對東日本大震災之援助及各界反應

According to a survey in 2012, 43% of Taiwanese named Japan their favorite nation in the world. Among the teens from 20-29, 54% named Japan the country they like the most, the highest percentage among all age groups. The detailed report (in Chinese) of the survey can be seen as follows:

http://www.koryu.or.jp/taipei-tw/ez3_contents.nsf/04/52B4631CEB65230749257B970039BEF7/$FILE/H24yoron-gaiyou.zhong.pdf

#31 vcchlw, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  12. vcchlw

I agree. Some Taiwanese people, especially those in older generations, hate Japan due their atrocities in WWII. But on the other hand, some Taiwanese people actually joined the Japanese army, including the brother of former Taiwanese president Lee Teng-Hui, who was essentially pro-Japan. According to the survey in 2012, 65% Taiwanese consider Taiwan has a "close" or "very close" relationship with Japan. Even among the oldest age group (65-80), the percentage remains at 65% with 17% respondents consider Japan "very close":

http://www.koryu.or.jp/taipei-tw/ez3_contents.nsf/04/52B4631CEB65230749257B970039BEF7/$FILE/H24yoron-gaiyou.zhong.pdf

[​IMG]

13. vcchlw

I apologize for my wrong choice of words.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Japan treated Taiwan relatively better compared to its other colonies - when it colonized Taiwan in the late 19th century, it was attempting to show that it could be a "model" Western power - it's similar to the fact that Japanese treatment of Russian POWs during the Russo-Japanese War was incredibly humane, so much so that not a few Russians just chose to stay in Japan after the war rather than deal with the chaos of the 1905 Revolution. Of course, just like the treatment of POWs had changed a bit by WW2, so did its colonization processes by the 1930s.

And also, no, my impression both from reading and travelling is that the Indonesians, Phillipines and the Viets don't hate Japan as much as the Koreans and Chinese do. One thing that should be pointed out, however, is that both South Korea and China need nationalism to legitimize their regimes - China due to being authoritarian, ROK due to the fact that there's a rival claimant for the "true Korea" that waves the nationalist flag like mad and is more popular in South Korea than you would think.

15. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

From my perspective (as a HK person), as stereotypes go. Note: this post IS very stereotypical, and is inaccurate as to how these people actually behave, it's just the common misconception

Japanese- polite, submissive, do weird ***** from time to time, likes to cover up their history, produce amazing anime+manga
    Mainland Chinese- loud, obnoxious, carries ton of tourism money, annoying, but have to live and do business with them for forseeable future. cheap food
    Taiwanese- a mandarin-speaking version of HK with actual democracy
    Singaporeans- HK wannabees with weird accents
    Indians- they do our road work
    Koreans- K-pop, Kpop, have basically captured the minds of all HK teengirls, plastic surgery, Korean BBQ = best

note: the way of thinking differs greatly from generation to generation. My friend's grandfather fought against the Japanese in WWII, so he hates the Japanese with all his heart and loves Communism. But my younger (HK) generation doesn't care about that anymore, and likes Japanese food/culture as much as any. Different story when you get to mainland China though, still strong anti-Japanese sentiment there with younger generation.

not 100% what the Singaporean stereotypes would be, but never confuse them with Malaysians, that I know for sure. Also,

16. Nook

Nook Member

So far we have learned that Indians are smelly and work on roads.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Not all asian's have small dicks, it's just the median is skewed lower, trust me I know everything

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

Anyone remember this Gem by Reggie White?

20. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Real talk only about Koreans? any others?

<iframe width="450" height="345" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ptyzc4BQliY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="590" height="345" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VgDlL0RY9zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="590" height="345" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w8VW4HJ8rYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="590" height="345" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IQk4QDjnNPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>