1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian Food

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I know there has been a million threads on this subject, but IMHO, there should be a new one at least once a month. I can't get enough of it. And although I'm sure there are some Chinese out there who are completely insulted to have their food lumped in with Japanese (and vice versa), I'm just some ignorant Occidental, so cut me some slack.

I could have two meals a day from some country in the far East, and I don't think I'd ever miss anything else. Thai and Vietnamese seem to be my favorites, but that may just be because I like spicy foods (Thai) and we seem to get some good Vietnamese food here.

So.......what am I missing. Like the Chinese, I "eat everything." What are some can't miss places (that I've been missing)? For all of our good Vietnamese, we don't seem to have any decent fancier Vietnamese restaurants (like they do in Seattle). What are some other good places to get spicy Asian foods. I tried Korean BBQ in Webster recently and really enjoyed it. I also tried Linh's BBQ in Sugar Land and had some great Banh Mi and this winter vegetable soup with shredded duck. the place next door--despite the innocuous name (Jade Garden) looks really good..........EVERYONE in there looked to be Chinese. Is it any good.

Throw me a bone.............turn me onto some great places. I'll drive out of my way for a good meal.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i've been on a serious thai and vietnamese kick lately, although i'm not nearly adventurous enough in my selections. i as well could live off thai and vietnamese alone. my spots are:

erawan on sage and san felipe
    thai gourmet on richmond
    mai's on milam
    and cali travis (i think)

definitely open to recommendations.

3. danny317

danny317 Member

theres a pho joint off jones road called pho bong sen

their bo luc lac (beef cubes dipped in lemon juice and served w/ fried rice) is the SHIZZNIT!!!

i thought you couldnt top the bo luc lac at tan tan but man i was wrong.

pho bong sen grills their bo luc lac. much better than the pan sauted bo luc lac at tan tan.

man im hungry! :D

4. Pole

I always recommend Kanomwan on Telephone for the best Thom Kha Gai ever. They "service" is something you have to warm up to, but the food is stellar..........and it's BYOB.

I've heard good things about erawan, but I've yet to try it.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

man, I love that place. Their pad thai is pretty good and their Spicy Chicken Noodles are unbelievable

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

my cousin has raved about that place forever.... i'm just never in that area. one of these days i'll check it out.

the erawan i go to is pretty good, but the service is definitely on the slow side. i like thai gourmet more, but erawan is much closer and still delivers the goods when i'm in need of a fix.

7. famicom

famicom Member

Thai Spice on Bellaire (not the fast food crap) is prolly the best I've had. No complaints on the dishes, and free hot thai tea! It's about 5 minutes passed Sharpstown mall.

8. famicom

famicom Member

Also, all the Korean joints are on Long Point. Seoul Garden, etc.

For Vietnamese in downtown, you can check out Thiem Hung too I know the owner :) :
    http://www.thiemhung.com/

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just curious what kind of dishes are you eating? Are you pretty much eating the same thing most of the time, for instance Pho or Pad Thai?

10. Pole

No.....I'm a change is good kind of guy and pretty adventurous. I think I've had every single dish on Kanomwan's menu.............certainly a higher percentage than any other restaurant I've eaten at. I'm also pretty adventurous at Vietnamese restaurants as well. Hell, I've eaten cold boiled chicken feet walking through China town in San Fran.........but I will say that I'm more likely to enjoy everything I get at a Thai food place or a Vietnamese restaurant than a Chinese restaurant. It seems I can't get spicy Chinese without it being overly sweet as well........which I just don't care for.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised response thread to my "Low Sodium Meals" thread...

12. Poloshirtbandit

I love this place. I went there at least twice a week when I was going to UH. The owner's daughter ain't too bad to look at either.

13. Poloshirtbandit

Great place, I go there quite a bit.

Are there any places on the north side that have banh bo xien (I'm probably spelling it wrong... the egg thing with flour that looks like potatoes)? I know there's a place on 249 near Antoine that has it, but I went there and it sucked.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Have you tried yelp.com?

15. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Patu's in Rice Village and Thai Cottage II in Sugar Land are my favorite places

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Malaysian restaurant right off of beltway 8 and westheimer.

17. speed star

speed star Member

Thai - Thai spice on bellaire

Japanese - J and K in Rosenberg , Hokkaido on Bellaire , Ichiban in Sugar Land

Chinese - Auntie Chang's Dumpling House on Shepard, Lai Lai's on Bellaire (its kind of dirty but their general tso's chicken really good), Tan Tan's and Sinh Sinh on Bellaire (Falls under both Vietnamese and Chinese)

Vietnamese - Vinh Hoa on Bellaire (place looks plain on the outside but their seafood is really fresh), Kim Son and Pho Saigon (downtown).
    Vietnamese sandwiches - Parisian(few locations) , Don's Sandwiches(bellaire) , Cali's (downtown)

Korean - Seoul Garden , and Arirang (sp?)

18. speed star

speed star Member

lemme know if you need more

19. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

pho is awesome, cant get enough of that.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like Thai Spice in the Rice Village

and I thought it was oriental food :confused: