1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ashley Madison now causing Texan suicides

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aussie rocket, Aug 24, 2015.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...s-member-of-site/story-fnjwmwrh-1227497414148

A TEXAS police chief is among two men believed to have killed themselves after hackers published the names of millions of members of the cheating website Ashley Madison.
    San Antonio police captain Michael Gorhum died last week in an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to local news reports.
    Captain Gorhum, a veteran of 25 years, was among 32 million members of the Canada-based adultery site whose emails and user account information were revealed by hackers.
    One of the officer’s colleagues posted a tribute on Facebook: “Rest in Peace Captain Mike Gorhum. You truly are one of the guys, I’ve most respected in my Law Enforcement Career, no task too big, no goal too lofty.”
    This comes as two Canadian law firms launch a $578 million class action lawsuit on behalf of “all Canadians” impacted by the hack that exposed millions of worldwide cheaters, the New York Post reports.
    “They are outraged that AshleyMadison.com failed to protect its users’ information,” attorney Ted Charney said.
    “In many cases, the users paid an additional fee for the website to remove all of their user data — only to discover that the information was left intact and exposed.”

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Terrible thread title. I'm assuming you're trolling but this guy committing suicide isn't really funny.

3. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

It's not a fact yet that it was from the leak.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Not my intention to troll or be funny.

Simply stating that the case has escalated to the point of people committing suicide from the fallout.

The Texas part was just making it relevant to the site it's posted on.

Absolutely horrible that it has come to this. And I fear there will be similar stories come out in the near future.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Cheaters gonna cheat. Suiciders gonna suicide.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's safe to say that no website is safe. Give out as little information about yourself as possible unless absolutely necessary.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good thing they don't keep track on Clutchfans. I smashed them all.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Are they suiciding because of the leak or because they got found out?

Seems ridiculous to blame the hackers for the tortured web of lies people construct, and then try to avoid the consequences of their own behaviour...

1 person likes this.
  9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Heck yeah.

That's why I paid my Ash Madison charges in cash. No paper trail. :cool:

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Don't cheat on your spouse if you can't live without her

1 person likes this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How many CFers going to be caught?

I'm looking at some of you suspects...

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Plus, for Christ's sake: None of the emails were verified! If you did this and got caught, just point out this fact. "Hmmm. That's weird. But I get tons of junk email, so it's not very surprising that someone would know my email and use it somewhere for a fake account."

And no, I didn't sign up for this site. But I just don't see how suicide is even an option when there's reasonable doubt even if your email is listed.

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Zero ****s given to people who cheat on their spouses and the consequences that come due to their actions. Suffer well.

Zero ****s given to cowards who commit suicide over their imbecilic actions.

Darwin just doing it's job.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Two wrongs making more wrongs.

16. Cranberry_Juice

Unless they are black then its #blacklivesmatter.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, blaming hackers is pretty easy. Sure, people should take the blame for their own infidelities, but Ashley Madison also takes blame for not securing customer information and not deleting information they were paid to delete, and of course the hackers themselves are committing serious felonies and hurting many people to enrich themselves. Marital infidelities of victims doesn't do anything to mitigate the guilt of the company or the crooks. And so far, it's only the cheaters who are getting their comeuppance. Ashley Madison will eventually get theirs with the deluge of lawsuits. And the crooks will probably get off scot-free.

18. Isabel

Isabel Member

So. 1) These people were willing to cheat. 2) They not only had it in them to cheat, but actively sought out opportunities to do so. 3) Since real life wasn't providing them with the opportunities they needed, they went to a website - and paid money - to find these opportunities.

SMH. Couldn't just get a divorce or an open relationship. Had to go around living a double life and lying - and deliberately chose this path. (Not to even get started on the fact that someone would start a business based on this.)

And if, once they get caught, they can't own up to the consequences and kill themselves instead? Extra, extra pathetic. Sad that people's lives come to this. But excuse me if I can't feel too much sympathy for these guys.

1 person likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Haven't really followed this story at all.

That's pretty bad though that the site had this extra protection option and didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Definitely agree with the don't cheat, and don't kill yourself thoughts. Though more the first than the latter - I certainly don't like suicide and think it is a "coward's" way out... but I also suspect that in 99% of suicides it's momentary insanity. If you've seen that Golden Gate bridge documentary and heard from some of the survivors, you know that the second they make that leap they regret it... some people just get so so so overwhelmed with life that they momentarily fall victim to their inner demons. As I've grown older, had kids, etc., I've certainly become more sympathetic to people going through those struggles.

But anyway, even if what the user's are doing is morally reprehensible, that's ludicrous for the site to be charging that extra amount and not doing anything for extra protection.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

I don't think this suicide was ruled to be directly related to the leak

With that said, I hope you don't have this attitude toward all suicides