1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ASG] 3 PT Shoot out. Participants announced.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kikimama, Feb 6, 2008.

1. kikimama

kikimama Member

http://www.nba.com/allstar2008/three_point/3ptshootout_080206.html

NEW YORK, Feb. 6, 2008 – The Toronto Raptors’ Jason Kapono will defend his title in this year’s Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout, which will be held on Saturday, Feb. 16, at New Orleans Arena as part of NBA All-Star Saturday Night.

Kapono will attempt to become the first back-to-back winner of the Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout since Peja Stojakovic won the 2002 and 2003 titles. Stojakovic will return to the competition representing the hometown New Orleans Hornets for the first time since finishing as runner-up in the 2004 competition. Stojakovic and Kapono will be joined by Western Conference starter and 10-time All-Star Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers, Daniel Gibson of the Cleveland Cavaliers, Richard Hamilton of the Detroit Pistons and two-time MVP Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns.

The players will compete in the two-round competition with the top three finishers from the first round advancing to the finals. Five shooting stations will be set up around the three-point line, with four Official Spalding NBA game balls worth one point each and one Spalding NBA All-Star 2008 commemorative teal and gold colored “money ball” worth two points at each location. Each player will have one minute to shoot as many balls as he can. In the final round, players will shoot in ascending order of first-round scores. At the discretion of the referee, television instant replay may be consulted for clarification of rules compliance.

As with all of this year's All-Star participants, Bryant, Gibson, Hamilton, Kapono, Stojakovic and Nash will join over 2,500 members of the NBA Family for the NBA Cares All-Star Day of Service on Friday, Feb. 15. The volunteers will participate in a variety of service projects at 10 different sites throughout New Orleans.

In addition, Foot Locker will be working with the New Orleans Recreation Department (NORD) to refurbish Stallings Gentilly Park in association with NBA Cares. The official court dedication to the New Orleans community will take place on Saturday, Feb. 16.

The Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout will be televised live nationally as part of the NBA All-Star Saturday Night, which will also feature the Haier Shooting Stars, Sprite Slam Dunk and PlayStation® Skills Challenge. TNT and ESPN Radio’s national coverage will begin at 8 p.m. ET from New Orleans Arena. The NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 17, will air live on TNT, ESPN Radio and in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.

Foot Locker, in its fifth year as the sponsor of the three-point shootout, is part of Foot Locker, Inc., a specialty athletic retailer that operates approximately 4,000 stores in countries in North America, Europe and Australia. Through its Foot Locker, Footaction, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker and Champs Sports retail stores, as well as its direct-to-customer channel Footlocker.com/Eastbay, the Company is the leading provider of athletic footwear and apparel.

Following is a list of the year-by-year winners and the 2008 Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout roster:

FOOT LOCKER THREE-POINT SHOOTOUT YEAR-BY-YEAR WINNERS

1986 -- Larry Bird, Boston
    1987 -- Larry Bird, Boston
    1988 -- Larry Bird, Boston
    1989 -- Dale Ellis, Seattle
    1990 -- Craig Hodges, Chicago
    1991 -- Craig Hodges, Chicago
    1992 -- Craig Hodges, Chicago
    1993 -- Mark Price, Cleveland
    1994 -- Mark Price, Cleveland
    1995 -- Glen Rice, Miami
    1996 -- Tim Legler, Washington
    1997 -- Steve Kerr, Chicago
    1998 -- Jeff Hornacek, Utah
    2000 -- Jeff Hornacek, Utah
    2001 -- Ray Allen, Milwaukee
    2002 -- Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento
    2003 -- Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento
    2004 -- Voshon Lenard, Denver
    2005 -- Quentin Richardson, Phoenix
    2006 -- Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
    2007 -- Jason Kapono, Miami

Hamilton and Kobe are both 35% shooters from the arc. Why are they in? :confused:

This would be worth watching if Novak was in it. :D

2. OrangeCountyCA

I'm surprise that Kobe is participating. Even more so now that he dislocated his pinky finger on his right hand last night.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

Kobe? Peja? Nash!?

Wow, this might be worth watching again

4. dedong22

dedong22 Member

i always think peja is a streaky shooter, and if he feels it, it's all over....

5. biggz

biggz Member

I will pick the home town guy, Daniel Gibson.

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Rip Hamilton? They searched the league over for sharp shooters, and came up with.... Rip Hamilton?

7. JD2010

JD2010 Member

rip hamilton barely even takes threes..
    what about mike miller, juan carlos navarro, KYLE KORVER

8. Asian Sensation

Who cares about not having "sharp shooters". The mere fact that Kobe is participating makes this a must watch.

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Remember the year that AI was in it, and he was building brick houses from behind the arc all season and he finished with the lowest total in the contest. I think they do it so more people will watch.

Who would wanna see Jason Kapono, Daniel Gibson, James Jones, and Anthony Parker battle for 3 pt. supremacy?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should double the participants and add in guys like Craig Hodges, Dale Ellis, Matt Bullard, Larry Bird, etc...

11. rocketswinitall

REALLY, nba!? i mean, REALLY!? RIP Hamilton
    cmon RIP freakin Hamilton, are u serious nba. wow, u could have picked korver, hedo, jj, barry, allen, and j-rich, but u pick rip!!!!!!!!!

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

If Novak was in this, it'd be all over.

As it is, my money is on Peja, though I'd think it'll be close with Nash and Kapono.

Kobe isn't historically a great 3pt shooter, Hamilton doesn't take many, and I feel like Gibson may just be a flash in the pan.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Steve Novak is snobbed. :cool:

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

Popularity contest for shooters. If Novak was in this he'd win for sure.

15. Sextuple Double

Why no Chuck Hayes!?

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hamilton doesn't even shoot many threes. They should have picked Novak.

17. playlife

playlife Member

don't think he could even finish shooting all the balls before the time expires

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly!

I saw the thread title and was immediately nostalgic for the days when real ringers (Bird, Price) were out there putting on a show. It seems that the last 10+ years it's become a dreadful testament to how bad shooting has gotten.

Evan

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Chuck would still be working through the hitch on his 5th shot by the time the buzzer sounded. ;)

20. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Man, no Novak and Redick :( Will I ever be able to watch the REAL shooters? I mean, I understand these guys have not played much to qualify. But we're talking about pure shooting here. I want to see who really has the best shooting skills.